+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Calgary - Alberta Settlers, Let's Network here

emy72

Mar 26, 2013
omsalah said:
Dear Friends
Please I need urgent Advice on the following matters:
1-I have landed me and my family members in 31st Jan 2014 through Pearson airport (back at that time i have only opened a bank account and got SIN cards and PR cards after couple of month I stayed in Toronto 13 days only as i just came for landing purpose.
2-Now i came back to canada and settled in Calgary (I need to to issue our health cards and the Child benifit and Tax applications and I dont know how to fill these out especially that i was not in the country and i Just came back in Oct 8th Any suggestions on what to do and how to get these applications done and filled out correctly please?

PS :My Husband is still searching for a job
Thanks

First ...thanks a lot for oppening this thread concerning Calgary ... I was in bad need for it when preparing for landing
Omsalah ... I'm nearly the same situation with you...You can contact the immigrant service calgary & take appointment ( they are the ones help me to fill the child tax benifit ) although I didn't get approval for it yet since applying two monthes ago ...So take care to fill it propaply and clarify very well that you landed before & returning again with exact dates ( I think better to attatch letter to describe this ..) for me they send to ...clarify about that ( date of landing )
I'm also get confused & stucked when any time facing that long forms ... God with you

Immigrant Services Calgary

#1200, 910 - 7th Avenue S.W.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
T2P 3N8
Phone: (403) 265-1120
Fax: (403) 266-2486
Email : info@immigrantservicescalgary.ca
http://www.immigrantservicescalgary.ca

sweetypal

Aug 15, 2014
Dear friends,
I have plan to move to Calgary too.Prices of houses are too much.Can we find temporary housing facility? Does any immigrant service provide stay for few days(On payment)?

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013 PER Rec'd...: 07-08-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1:23-09-2014, PPR2: 20-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
sweetypal said:
Dear friends,
I have plan to move to Calgary too.Prices of houses are too much.Can we find temporary housing facility? Does any immigrant service provide stay for few days(On payment)?
pls check

https://www.airbnb.ca/

You can find here stay for short term.

When in city, you can look for proper apartment suitable as per your needs.

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
Where to live in Calgary

What are the best Calgary neighbourhoods? What is the best place to live in Calgary for young singles or young families? Where to live in Calgary depends on your preferences and particular needs, so we try to outline the most common neighbourhoods for newcomers to the city.

Calgary is divided into four quadrants, and the quadrant in which a place is situated is reflected in its street address, which ends in NW, SW, SE or NE. Avenues typically run east-west, while streets run north-south. Once you adjust to this system, navigating your way around the city becomes very easy.

Calgary is one of the most geographically dispersed cities in the world. As with most cities, neighbourhoods that are closer to downtown tend to be more expensive, and neighbourhoods that are further out tend to be less expensive. The suburbs of Calgary are typically newer and, with an ever-sprawling city, many larger homes have been built in the suburbs. Houses in desirable inner city neighborhoods tend to retain value and appreciate more than houses in the outer suburbs.

Your choice of neighbourhood also may be influenced by your age and lifestyle. For example, if you have a young family, you may want to live in a suburban neighbourhood in which your kids can walk to school and participate in sports. If you have university-aged children, you may want to live in the NW quadrant, in which the University of Calgary (U of C) is situated, or SW where Mount Royal University is situated. If you are single or if you have a partner but no kids and want a more urban lifestyle, you may want to live close to the downtown core. Downtown Calgary is bordered by 14th Street SW on the west, Eau claire on the north, Elbow river on the east and CPR mainline tracks on the south.

The preferred residential areas of Calgary lie in the northwest and southwest suburbs. These are closest to the Rockies with attractive mountain views. Much of Calgary's commercial and industrial enterprises are situated in the southeast quadrant of the city. Rents are typically higher in the northwest and southwest quadrants, and closer to facilities such as U of C.

Southwest (SW)
In the southwest, Bankview, Killarney, Mount Royal are recommended neighborhoods. The Southwest is seen as the nicest place to live in Calgary, so naturally this area has higher rent and home prices.17th Avenue in the southwest is a short walk from downtown, with an eclectic mix of bars, restaurants and shops. 12th Avenue to 30th Avenue is a popular area for young singles and couples due to its close proximity to 17th Ave and the downtown core. If you venture a little further out from downtown, there are many popular neighbourhoods such as Haysboro, Acadia, Sundance and Chinook park. These areas are all serviced with ample amenities and with Macleod Trail and the C Train, all have excellent access to downtown.

Northwest (NW)
The northwest features many hill top communities that offers panoramic Rocky mountain views. In the northwest, West Hillhurst, Sunnyside, Tuscany, Edgemont, Country Hills, Dalhousie and Rosedale are all pleasant, popular neighbourhoods. Ranchland, Hawkwood and Edgemont are the localities in which there is a slight presence of South Asians and Arabs. Kensington offers an eclectic mix of cafes, pubs, bistros, boutiques, arts and crafts shops. It's generally a fun place to hang out for a few hours and just a short walk from downtown.

Northeast (NE)
A lot of South Asians live in Northeast quadrant, Sikhs and Muslims are lot and a lot of restaurants, grocery stores (Indian & Pakistani) are available, LRT and transit are also available around. Calgary Airport is located fairly centrally in the city, in the NE quadrant. There also are some commercial areas in the northeast. Perhaps as a result of their proximity to these commercial facilities, the northeast neighbourhoods tend not to be the most desirable locations in Calgary. It is commonly heard that east of Deerfoot Trail is not as nice due to higher crime rates and gang problems. This is not to say all of the NE is like that, but it's known as the area that experiences the most petty crime. Lower rent has meant the northeast quadrant is one in which younger couples and some new immigrants buy their first Calgary homes, with a view to relocating later in their stay. Canada's labour force is relatively mobile, such that it is not uncommon for families to move three or four times during their working lives. Some nicer areas in the NE, such as Bridgeland, are closer to downtown.

Southeast (SE)
The northern part of the southeast quadrant is a commercial and light industrial area. The neighbourhoods that are adjacent to the commercial and industrial zones are not considered prime areas in which to live, and housing adjacent to these areas is typically lower priced. However, the far south part of the SE quadrant, which is well removed from the commercial and industrial zones, is just as popular as any other residential zone. McKenzie Lake and Midnapore are newer suburbs with good reputations. Inglewood (or Ninth Avenue East) is similar to Kensington, with the added attraction of antique stores and funky shops.

Chimzurum

Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
6/01/2014
Med's Request
10/10/2014
Med's Done....
15/10/2014
Passport Req..
10/11/2014
LANDED..........
03/03/2015
rawdah said:
Where to live in Calgary

What are the best Calgary neighbourhoods? What is the best place to live in Calgary for young singles or young families? Where to live in Calgary depends on your preferences and particular needs, so we try to outline the most common neighbourhoods for newcomers to the city.

Calgary is divided into four quadrants, and the quadrant in which a place is situated is reflected in its street address, which ends in NW, SW, SE or NE. Avenues typically run east-west, while streets run north-south. Once you adjust to this system, navigating your way around the city becomes very easy.

Calgary is one of the most geographically dispersed cities in the world. Rather than high-rise multi-story apartments, housing in Calgary generally consists of separate, detached dwellings. As with most cities, neighbourhoods that are closer to downtown tend to be more expensive, and neighbourhoods that are further out tend to be less expensive. The suburbs of Calgary are typically newer and, with an ever-sprawling city, many larger homes have been built in the suburbs. Houses in desirable inner city neighborhoods tend to retain value and appreciate more than houses in the outer suburbs.

Your choice of neighbourhood also may be influenced by your age and lifestyle. For example, if you have a young family, you may want to live in a suburban neighbourhood in which your kids can walk to school and participate in sports. If you have university-aged children, you may want to live in the NW quadrant, in which the University of Calgary (U of C) is situated, or SW where Mount Royal University is situated. If you are single or if you have a partner but no kids and want a more urban lifestyle, you may want to live close to the downtown core. Downtown Calgary is bordered by 14th Street SW on the west, Eau claire on the north, Elbow river on the east and CPR mainline tracks on the south.

The preferred residential areas of Calgary lie in the northwest and southwest suburbs. These are closest to the Rockies with attractive mountain views. Much of Calgary's commercial and industrial enterprises are situated in the southeast quadrant of the city. Rents are typically higher in the northwest and southwest quadrants, and closer to facilities such as U of C.

Southwest (SW)
In the southwest, Bankview, Killarney, Mount Royal are recommended neighborhoods. The Southwest is seen as the nicest place to live in Calgary, so naturally this area has higher rent and home prices.17th Avenue in the southwest is a short walk from downtown, with an eclectic mix of bars, restaurants and shops. 12th Avenue to 30th Avenue is a popular area for young singles and couples due to its close proximity to 17th Ave and the downtown core. If you venture a little further out from downtown, there are many popular neighbourhoods such as Haysboro, Acadia, Sundance and Chinook park. These areas are all serviced with ample amenities and with Macleod Trail and the C Train, all have excellent access to downtown.

Northwest (NW)
The northwest features many hill top communities that offers panoramic Rocky mountain views. In the northwest, West Hillhurst, Sunnyside, Tuscany, Edgemont, Country Hills, Dalhousie and Rosedale are all pleasant, popular neighbourhoods. Kensington offers an eclectic mix of cafes, pubs, bistros, boutiques, arts and crafts shops. It's generally a fun place to hang out for a few hours and just a short walk from downtown.

Northeast (NE)
A lot of South Asians live in Northeast. Calgary Airport is located fairly centrally in the city, in the NE quadrant. There also are some commercial areas in the northeast. Perhaps as a result of their proximity to these commercial facilities, the northeast neighbourhoods tend not to be the most desirable locations in Calgary. It is commonly heard that east of Deerfoot Trail is not as nice due to higher crime rates and gang problems. This is not to say all of the NE is like that, but it's known as the area that experiences the most petty crime. Lower rent has meant the northeast quadrant is one in which younger couples and some new immigrants buy their first Calgary homes, with a view to relocating later in their stay. Canada's labour force is relatively mobile, such that it is not uncommon for families to move three or four times during their working lives. Some nicer areas in the NE, such as Bridgeland, are closer to downtown.

Southeast (SE)
The northern part of the southeast quadrant is a commercial and light industrial area. The neighbourhoods that are adjacent to the commercial and industrial zones are not considered prime areas in which to live, and housing adjacent to these areas is typically lower priced. However, the far south part of the SE quadrant, which is well removed from the commercial and industrial zones, is just as popular as any other residential zone. McKenzie Lake and Midnapore are newer suburbs with good reputations. Inglewood (or Ninth Avenue East) is similar to Kensington, with the added attraction of antique stores and funky shops.
Rawdah

I have asked to join the facebook group severally and I still haven't been added. Is there a reason for that? Thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rawdah said:
housing in Calgary generally consists of separate, detached dwellings.
Similar to Vancouver, housing in Calgary in general, actually consists of high rise buildings (at least in the downtown core), duplexes, semi-detached and detached dwellings. Yet, I haven't seen any gated communities in Calgary.

marymichs13

Star Member
Aug 4, 2014
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2016
AOR Received.
11-07-2016
Hi just to ask if there's a certain group or page here in the forum which is about renting apartments in Calgary? It would be so much helpful. Thanks!!

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
marymichs13 said:
Hi just to ask if there's a certain group or page here in the forum which is about renting apartments in Calgary? It would be so much helpful. Thanks!!
There is one seperate category of Housing in this forum but it is not so useful.

For renting in Calgary you may try

http://www.kijiji.ca/h-calgary/1700199
www.rentfaster.ca
www.rentcalgary.com

emceemouli

Aug 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rawdah said:
There is one seperate category of Housing in this forum but it is not so useful.

For renting in Calgary you may try

http://www.kijiji.ca/h-calgary/1700199
www.rentfaster.ca
www.rentcalgary.com
More info here...under Living in Calgary section

https://sites.google.com/site/newcanadianimmigrants/living-in-alberta/living-in-calgary

https://sites.google.com/site/newcanadianimmigrants/living-in-alberta/living-in-calgary/settlement-steps

Thanks,

SHARMIN13

Star Member
Jul 10, 2014
Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Nice useful Quote, this thread is also helpful

Is there any Bangladeshi who can suggest and guide me about money transfer from bangladesh to canada? how can I make all bank money available in canada for use. Please help and discuss, I am blind about this issue. Planning to get international credit card from my bank but is that good idea?

Thanks in advance :)

All the best

rawdah said:
Where to live in Calgary

Calgary is one of the most geographically dispersed cities in the world. As with most cities, neighbourhoods that are closer to downtown tend to be more expensive, and neighbourhoods that are further out tend to be less expensive. The suburbs of Calgary are typically newer and, with an ever-sprawling city, many larger homes have been built in the suburbs. Houses in desirable inner city neighborhoods tend to retain value and appreciate more than houses in the outer suburbs.

Southwest (SW)

Northwest (NW)
The northwest features many hill top communities that offers panoramic Rocky mountain views. In the northwest, West Hillhurst, Sunnyside, Tuscany, Edgemont, Country Hills, Dalhousie and Rosedale are all pleasant, popular neighbourhoods. Ranchland, Hawkwood and Edgemont are the localities in which there is a slight presence of South Asians and Arabs. Kensington offers an eclectic mix of cafes, pubs, bistros, boutiques, arts and crafts shops. It's generally a fun place to hang out for a few hours and just a short walk from downtown.

Northeast (NE)
A lot of South Asians live in Northeast quadrant, Sikhs and Muslims are lot and a lot of restaurants, grocery stores (Indian & Pakistani) are available, LRT and transit are also available around. Calgary Airport is located fairly centrally in the city, in the NE quadrant. There also are some commercial areas in the northeast. Perhaps as a result of their proximity to these commercial facilities, the northeast neighbourhoods tend not to be the most desirable locations in Calgary. It is commonly heard that east of Deerfoot Trail is not as nice due to higher crime rates and gang problems. This is not to say all of the NE is like that, but it's known as the area that experiences the most petty crime. Lower rent has meant the northeast quadrant is one in which younger couples and some new immigrants buy their first Calgary homes, with a view to relocating later in their stay. Canada's labour force is relatively mobile, such that it is not uncommon for families to move three or four times during their working lives. Some nicer areas in the NE, such as Bridgeland, are closer to downtown.

Southeast (SE)

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
Inglewood crowned Canada’s greatest neighbourhood

Inner-city Calgary community Inglewood has earned the title of Canada’s greatest neighbourhood in a competition put on by the country’s city planners.

The Canadian Institute of Planners announced the winners in its Great Places in Canada contest on Friday.

An eclectic, riverfront Calgary neighbourhood, Inglewood grabbed top honours in the neighbourhood category “in part because it is a great neighbourhood to visit but also, and perhaps most importantly, a great neighbourhood to live,” according to competition judge Andrea Winkler.

The community’s support for local businesses, community facilities and artisans also played a role, said Winkler in a news release adding, “It’s also hard to resist a place that has the odd chicken roaming the streets.”

Inglewood beat Quartier Petit Champlain in Quebec, St. Boniface in Winnipeg, Old East Village in London and Victoria Park in Kitchener for the win.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Inglewood+crowned+Canada+greatest+neighbourhood/10362873/story.html

ksa0510

Champion Member
Feb 11, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2014
Nomination.....
04-11-2014
AOR Received.
04-11-2014
IELTS Request
03-07-2014
File Transfer...
09-07-2014
Med's Request
18-05-2015
Med's Done....
03-06-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
24-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
10-07-2015
LANDED..........
21-07-2015
rawdah said:
Where to live in Calgary

Southwest (SW)

Northwest (NW)

Northeast (NE)

Southeast (SE)
Thanks for sharing this please.

amro375

Star Member
Nov 3, 2014
I am living almost a year in Calgary so this is my experience:

Southwest is the best place to live but by far more expensive then the rest.
Depends on where you would live here, but it is well developed... I find it very quiet and convenient. Really good settlements here.

Southeast - not many rentals here. Usually most of the rentals are for houses and out of the reach for new emigrants. But there are some very good neighborhoods here, not very crowded, not many people, quiet.

In my opinion in Southeast most of the people are Canadians as compared to NE where most of them are Pakistani/Indians.

NW - Have not been many times here. It has a lot of population.

NE - the worst part of the city to live in. No offence... but is seems like you are in the middle east.
It has some good thing as rent is cheaper, almost everything is cheaper here. You can always find plummer or mechanic that will do the same job twice cheaper than somebody in SE/SW.
If you are indian/pakistani you will feel like home. Many asian groceries stores, many halal stores, 2 mosques...
But this is very dynamic part of the city, overcrowded, noisy by canadian standards:) also unsafe but again by canadian standard... no depends where do you come from. I don't like this part much... as it feel dirty/unsafe, but it is a good start for newcomers...

HomeCanada14

Apr 27, 2014
amro375 said:
I am living almost a year in Calgary so this is my experience:

Southwest is the best place to live but by far more expensive then the rest.
Depends on where you would live here, but it is well developed... I find it very quiet and convenient. Really good settlements here.

Southeast - not many rentals here. Usually most of the rentals are for houses and out of the reach for new emigrants. But there are some very good neighborhoods here, not very crowded, not many people, quiet.

In my opinion in Southeast most of the people are Canadians as compared to NE where most of them are Pakistani/Indians.

NW - Have not been many times here. It has a lot of population.

NE - the worst part of the city to live in. No offence... but is seems like you are in the middle east.
It has some good thing as rent is cheaper, almost everything is cheaper here. You can always find plummer or mechanic that will do the same job twice cheaper than somebody in SE/SW.
If you are indian/pakistani you will feel like home. Many asian groceries stores, many halal stores, 2 mosques...
But this is very dynamic part of the city, overcrowded, noisy by canadian standards:) also unsafe but again by canadian standard... no depends where do you come from. I don't like this part much... as it feel dirty/unsafe, but it is a good start for newcomers...
Thanks for the info, Amro!

How's job markets in Calgary currently? I am in accounting sector btw:)