+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Calgary - Alberta Settlers, Let's Network here

Mbaka

Star Member
May 19, 2014
rawdah said:
Pls list all the better schools in Calgary. I am looking to enroll my child in school in the coming days.
Dear Rawdah,

Google Fraser Institute Report cards...then click on Alberta, then Calgary.

that site was quite helpful! you then have to streamline it according to the type of school you want, public school, private or separate..within these differnt groups, you will still know the best... we wanted St Phillips school but we could not get it...the school is top 5 in calgary and No 1 among all the Sepearte schools. this school is free! and believe me its competing on the high top ladder with the private schools that you have to pay so much to get ytour child in.when our kids could not get enrolled in that school because of location, my spouse and I had to visit the school physically. when we got there.. we loved it! we saw the difference! its in the far north of SE, the good area ;D and its under restricted enrollment.

we got a warm reception and the secretary actually gave us a map of the area we need to live in to authomatically get our kids in there...we took the map home and started searching for apartments online..it was not favourable! the least we got was 2,500 CAD / month and the houses there were built in the early 70(s) :p. its an old community!

you cant believe that i tried enrolling my kids online in one of the top 3 schools (private) because i got a good referral from a friend, on the last page of the forms i was aasked to pay 200 CAD NON REFUNDABLE! per child! this is not a guarantee that they will get admission! :p

one more thing! save to buy your own home! new homes are better and less issues. 5 yrs guarantee! we visited a show room in REDSTONE and it was mounth watering... my kids are still asking about that new home till date. come to think of it...the rent you pay to your landlord is what he is using to pay down his mortgage..so why not pay down your own Mortgage!

Mbaka

Star Member
May 19, 2014
rawdah said:
Pls list all the better schools in Calgary. I am looking to enroll my child in school in the coming days.
http://www.google.com.sa/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CD4QFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.compareschoolrankings.org%2F&ei=799pVO6mFsnxaJuugPgI&usg=AFQjCNFszD8qBJ6DLSBWlHSIM-0qQ-ptfA

i am not so good at copying links, i hope it comes out well.

Sambade

Jul 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/10/2014
Doc's Request.
Sept 1, POF and salary acc
Nomination.....
19/01/2015
Med's Request
04-04-2016
Med's Done....
06-04-2016
Passport Req..
18-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2016
LANDED..........
21-06-2016
Mbaka said:
Dear Rawdah,

that site was quite helpful! you then have to streamline it according to the type of school you want, public school, private or separate..within these differnt groups, you will still know the best... we wanted St Phillips school but we could not get it...the school is top 5 in calgary and No 1 among all the Sepearte schools. this school is free! and believe me its competing on the high top ladder with the private schools that you have to pay so much to get ytour child in.when our kids could not get enrolled in that school because of location, my spouse and I had to visit the school physically. when we got there.. we loved it! we saw the difference! its in the far north of SE, the good area ;D and its under restricted enrollment.

we got a warm reception and the secretary actually gave us a map of the area we need to live in to authomatically get our kids in there...we took the map home and started searching for apartments online..it was not favourable! the least we got was 2,500 CAD / month and the houses there were built in the early 70(s) :p. its an old community!

you cant believe that i tried enrolling my kids online in one of the top 3 schools (private) because i got a good referral from a friend, on the last page of the forms i was aasked to pay 200 CAD NON REFUNDABLE! per child! this is not a guarantee that they will get admission! :p

one more thing! save to buy your own home! new homes are better and less issues. 5 yrs guarantee! we visited a show room in REDSTONE and it was mounth watering... my kids are still asking about that new home till date. come to think of it...the rent you pay to your landlord is what he is using to pay down his mortgage..so why not pay down your own Mortgage!
@ Mbaka
Thank you so much for the heads up,very informative...but can new immigrant take up the mortgage option in a good neighbourhood,the rent is unbelievable.so what sites can one check mortgage in Calgary?

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013 PER Rec'd...: 07-08-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1:23-09-2014, PPR2: 20-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
Mbaka said:
Dear Rawdah,

Many thanks mbaka for the info :D

+1 to you.

Mbaka

Star Member
May 19, 2014
Sambade said:
@ Mbaka
Thank you so much for the heads up,very informative...but can new immigrant take up the mortgage option in a good neighbourhood,the rent is unbelievable.so what sites can one check mortgage in Calgary?
Dear Sambade,

the rent varies, where we actually stayed was a basement and we paid 1,300CAD for that 20-21 days that we stayed there. and that was in N.E. the school that they termed as our home school is far below average looking at the fraser report card! but we had to just continue cos we are there for 2 weeks. my kids walk to school though..

you cna get a mortgage if you start building your credit history immedaitely you land, but its sweeter if you have a job appointment letter..with that alone ...i dont think you really need to worry about your credit history. most banks avail mortgage to new immigarnts but it all depends on the price of home. the show room we visited in redstone was a detached house, 3 bedroom with basement, 3 bathrooms and they they said that goes for 459k CAD. if you have a 5% down payment you can get that but you need to pay insurance but if you can get at least 20% down payment ..you will not need insurance!

i also learnt its better to get a personal loan than to pick up a credit card! that both contribute to your credit history but the later entangles you for life! unless you are well descipline to pay up on time, all and dont use more than 30% of your credit limit at all times. i dont know how true that is...

MHA.SA

Sep 20, 2014
Mbaka said:
Dear Rawdah,

that site was quite helpful! you then have to streamline it according to the type of school you want, public school, private or separate..within these differnt groups, you will still know the best... we wanted St Phillips school but we could not get it...the school is top 5 in calgary and No 1 among all the Sepearte schools. this school is free......

i wish if i can giv you +1000 but i dont now how to giv +1

Muhammad Zuhair Arif

Dec 2, 2013
Hi guys I am planning to land in Calgary I am a chemical engineer and working at power plant what you guys think do I have a scope? I am planning to land by start of April. What is advisable should I travel alone or as a family (wife and two sons aged 5 and 3)? And yes THankx for the school list very helpful

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
If u have job come with family otherwise come alone and search for jobs. Schools Academic year starts from September.

Mbaka

Star Member
May 19, 2014
Muhammad Zuhair Arif said:
Hi guys I am planning to land in Calgary I am a chemical engineer and working at power plant what you guys think do I have a scope? I am planning to land by start of April. What is advisable should I travel alone or as a family (wife and two sons aged 5 and 3)? And yes THankx for the school list very helpful
Please start job hunting from where ever you are at the moment. Truly if we had known we would have started immediately we got medical request. There is no harm in trying. You can do skpe interviews ... We did some to... Connect with someone in the :D same field with you that is already working in Calgary ...use his resume and touch up yours.... Go to LinkedIn and connect with friends of friends .. It does not matter... It's either yes or No... Keep trying. I think you have a professional job at the moment( process eng)...save with vengeance !!!! Yes save with vengeance ... :D

scorpionjot

Jun 21, 2014
India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/Sep/14
Nomination.....
19/Dec/14
IELTS Request
sent with app.
File Transfer...
<br>2nd Line : 10/Mar/15<br><b>New SL :</b> 05/Dec/14
Med's Request
Waiting..
Interview........
Hopefully waived
Passport Req..
soon. ;-)
VISA ISSUED...
soon.
LANDED..........
soon. [img]http://www.picgifs.com/graphics/c/canada/graphics-canada-031083.gif [/img]
GOOD INFO ON EVERYTHING, mbaka.

HERE'S YOUR +1, FROM ME TOO... :D

KEEP POSTING GOOD STUFF HERE... ;D

odafe

Aug 5, 2013
We have received our visas and making plans to land in April. Can anyone pls give me necessary links to search for jobs before landing?

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013 PER Rec'd...: 07-08-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1:23-09-2014, PPR2: 20-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
odafe said:
We have received our visas and making plans to land in April. Can anyone pls give me necessary links to search for jobs before landing?

Some very useful infos in the following guide from CIIP

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h5ij0lmub9siskv/dvi7oC-yR1/My%20Resource%20Package.pdf

HomeCanada14

Apr 27, 2014
Mbaka said:
Dear Sambade,

the rent varies, where we actually stayed was a basement and we paid 1,300CAD for that 20-21 days that we stayed there. and that was in N.E. the school that they termed as our home school is far below average looking at the fraser report card! but we had to just continue cos we are there for 2 weeks. my kids walk to school though..

you cna get a mortgage if you start building your credit history immedaitely you land, but its sweeter if you have a job appointment letter..with that alone ...i dont think you really need to worry about your credit history. most banks avail mortgage to new immigarnts but it all depends on the price of home. the show room we visited in redstone was a detached house, 3 bedroom with basement, 3 bathrooms and they they said that goes for 459k CAD. if you have a 5% down payment you can get that but you need to pay insurance but if you can get at least 20% down payment ..you will not need insurance!

i also learnt its better to get a personal loan than to pick up a credit card! that both contribute to your credit history but the later entangles you for life! unless you are well descipline to pay up on time, all and dont use more than 30% of your credit limit at all times. i dont know how true that is...
Great info! I forgot to give you +1. Here you go~