+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

C-6 Citizenship Applications, Frequently Asked Questions

robw

Mar 10, 2014
Do you think they check CBSA report first before they start checking if you were employed or not. I was unemployed for some months and I have never step a foot outside Canada since I came here, but still I still get worried because logic seem to be far from CIC's reasoning.
Of course they'll check with CBSA, and that will be the biggest determinant of whether or not you clear the eligibility requirement. Employment is not a requirement.

I can't tell you how the CIC works either because they really show little consistency and fairness in their processing, but as long as there are no inconsistencies between the info you put in your application and what they pull from CBSA and CRA, you'll be fine. Also no gaps in your history and addresses and no shady addresses (like P.O. box addresses). That's it really...there's no reason otherwise why your file would be delayed or rejected. Absolute worst case is you get CIT0520 or RQ and that's not the end of the world nor does it happen to one class of applicants over others. There is no method to the madness of the CIC!

Reactions: guddylover

guddylover

Dec 31, 2016
Of course they'll check with CBSA, and that will be the biggest determinant of whether or not you clear the eligibility requirement. Employment is not a requirement.

I can't tell you how the CIC works either because they really show little consistency and fairness in their processing, but as long as there are no inconsistencies between the info you put in your application and what they pull from CBSA and CRA, you'll be fine. Also no gaps in your history and addresses and no shady addresses (like P.O. box addresses). That's it really...there's no reason otherwise why your file would be delayed or rejected. Absolute worst case is you get CIT0520 or RQ and that's not the end of the world nor does it happen to one class of applicants over others. There is no method to the madness of the CIC!
You know exactly what they pull from CRA? Not that I have issues there, just curious

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi Spyfy,
I have a question.
If 1 parent is applying for kids, does the other parent's consent letter is required or not.?
It doesn't specify that in the application guide, so no.

robw

Mar 10, 2014
You know exactly what they pull from CRA? Not that I have issues there, just curious
Probably your notice of assessment + any flags on your SIN from CRA (e.g. late payment penalties, outstanding audits, or tax evasion if applicable...things that don't apply to most of us).

ActionC

Oct 11, 2017
Hi Spfy,
Please can you give your opinion. My application for citizenship was delivered on August 14th and as of mid last week, the Minister of immigration wrote in response to my petition that I do not have any active application with CIC. I was then advised to reapply. I reapplied last week only to receive my old application in the mail today. Reason: my days in Canada was less than 1460 because of the way the computer calculated it. I was advised to correct it and resend it. I have now accumulated about 1580 days far more than I needed but submitted the old calculator . What should I do? Send a new application or wait ?

ActionC

Oct 11, 2017
I meant to write, that I have already sent in anew application which was delivered on 24th of October but I did not make any changes to the residency calculator

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi Spfy,
Please can you give your opinion. My application for citizenship was delivered on August 14th and as of mid last week, the Minister of immigration wrote in response to my petition that I do not have any active application with CIC. I was then advised to reapply. I reapplied last week only to receive my old application in the mail today. Reason: my days in Canada was less than 1460 because of the way the computer calculated it. I was advised to correct it and resend it. I have now accumulated about 1580 days far more than I needed but submitted the old calculator . What should I do? Send a new application or wait ?
The "way the computer calculated it" is the right way. Most likely, in your original application, you made a mistake in your calculations.

If you applied last week I assume that you applied with the new forms and are therefore way above the limit. So everything should be fine.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I meant to write, that I have already sent in anew application which was delivered on 24th of October but I did not make any changes to the residency calculator
Sorry, I should have read both your messages. OK in that case it complicates things. That means that on Oct 24 you filed an application with the OLD residency calculator and probably also using the OLD form. That application will be refused.

ActionC

Oct 11, 2017
The "way the computer calculated it" is the right way. Most likely, in your original application, you made a mistake in your calculations.

If you applied last week I assume that you applied with the new forms and are therefore way above the limit. So everything should be fine.
Sorry, I should have read both your messages. OK in that case it complicates things. That means that on Oct 24 you filed an application with the OLD residency calculator and probably also using the OLD form. That application will be refused.
I will applied with the new application post oct 11, but I see the same residency calculator form since I have not left Canada. The said mistake is still there ( when I travel to multiple country on a single trip out of Canada, the system does not capture it if I put those trip separately)
But with 1580 days, even if you take that into account, I am still way above 1095 days required by the new rule

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I will applied with the new application post oct 11, but I see the same residency calculator form since I have not left Canada. The said mistake is still there ( when I travel to multiple country on a single trip out of Canada, the system does not capture it if I put those trip separately)
But with 1580 days, even if you take that into account, I am still way above 1095 days required by the new rule
It is WRONG to list two separate trips if you travel to more than one country. The FAQ and instructions of both the old and the new residency calculator clearly say that you should only list it as one single trip. All additional destinations are only to be listed in the "Reason" field.

So this is your mistake, not their mistake.

Your application has a high probability to be returned again because you filled the calculator wrong.

ActionC

Oct 11, 2017
It is WRONG to list two separate trips if you travel to more than one country. The FAQ and instructions of both the old and the new residency calculator clearly say that you should only list it as one single trip. All additional destinations are only to be listed in the "Reason" field.

So this is your mistake, not their mistake.

Your application has a high probability to be returned again because you filled the calculator wrong.
Thanks, should I wait to see what happens or send in a new application based on the information enclosed in the returned package ie correct the residency calculator

robw

Mar 10, 2014
Thanks, should I wait to see what happens or send in a new application based on the information enclosed in the returned package ie correct the residency calculator
Wait till you get AOR (if you get AOR) and then send a follow-up letter and physical presence calculator. Anything else would be messy.