+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

C-6 Citizenship Applications, Frequently Asked Questions

Niloos

Oct 12, 2017
"
akcec said:
Guys, need guidance with this question please:

9. b) Within the last 5 years, tell us if you held temporary resident status, or protected person’s status in Canada before you became a permanent resident. I had a work permit before PR. My eligibility period starts on 2012-10-14 but I obtained my work permit on 2012-06-21. Which date do I use for "Date your status was obtained"? And for the online presence calculator it asks the same info but if I put the date I obtained the work permit it says the date falls outside the eligibility period yet it still saves it. Slightly confused here. Also the date the status expires the one day before the PR date rather than the actual expiry of the work permit, correct?"
I put the actual date status was obtained on the form. But on the calculator I put the start of eligibility date because that's what it asked for. I too was getting that silly warning about dates falling outside when I put actual start date on the calc.
I did the same thing as what razerblade said,
I had two study permits (I assigned two separate lines for both the application and the calculator)
for the calculator:
1-the starting date of my first permit (2011) is my eligibility date (October 2012) but the expiry date is its actual expiration date (Oct 2014). It means (Oct. 2012- Oct.2014)
2-for the second permit (2014), I put the actual starting date (although it has conflict with the expiration date of my first permit) (from sep 2014) and the expiration date was one day before my PR date. I could not chose the PR date!
What is interesting is that the calculator allows us to enter permits even with day conflicts and calculate correct days.

For the application:
1- for the first study permit I wrote all the information same as its study permit dates (2011-Oct 2014).
2- Second study permit, the starting date (Sep 2014) same as the calculator, the expiration date is my pr date (because there is an stamp that the officer put at the time landing shows my PR date on it)

do you think what i did is right? I have not sent it yet!

Last edited:

msarham

Star Member
Jan 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2011
AOR Received.
25-10-2011 ( By Email)
File Transfer...
07-07-2012
Med's Request
25-10-2011 ( By Email)
Med's Done....
02-11-2011
Guys question, I just filled and sent my application but I just observe I miss the question of list all names including your name at birth. I didn’t put my name at birth and left that section blank. What do you think will they return my application?

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
Which question on the form ? I thought you made a typo on the calculator which is definitely severe.
In question 10a - list of addresses I lived. Last entry should have been October 2012 till August 2013. Instead, I put October 2012 till August 2012. Technically that date range is not possible.

My physical presence calculator is accurate.

Last edited:

Niloos

Oct 12, 2017
Guys question, I just filled and sent my application but I just observe I miss the question of list all names including your name at birth. I didn’t put my name at birth and left that section blank. What do you think will they return my application?
If it is the same as your name in the application (you do not have any other name), it is fine.
I put "N/A" because I have had only one name in my life!

run-Man

Star Member
Jun 15, 2014
Guys, need guidance with this question please:

9. b) Within the last 5 years, tell us if you held temporary resident status, or protected person’s status in Canada before you became a permanent resident. I had a work permit before PR. My eligibility period starts on 2012-10-14 but I obtained my work permit on 2012-06-21. Which date do I use for "Date your status was obtained"? And for the online presence calculator it asks the same info but if I put the date I obtained the work permit it says the date falls outside the eligibility period yet it still saves it. Slightly confused here. Also the date the status expires the one day before the PR date rather than the actual expiry of the work permit, correct?
just to add, when we renew work permits, there is normally a slight delay between the expiration of current permit and getting the new one.. and we are allowed to continue working in that period anyway... do we have to mention the gap in the forms??? also, do we have to put each work permit with a 'temporary worker' status against it in the application form???

help!!!!!

t119

Star Member
Apr 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
SP -17-04-2013 PR-10-03-2010
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013/25-06-2014
LANDED..........
28-08-2013/15-08-2014
RE:
Question 9c is confusing me. I lived outside of Canada but I wasn't a Crown Servant. Why should I fill that weird form?

The eligibility period starts before I came to Canada. So should I be including the time before I came to Canada and say yes?

irieempress

Sep 23, 2017
Quick question guys... this may just be me thinking too deeply in my final review...

Question 14 a - What should I enter as my old passport's expiry date - its original expiry date or its 'cancellation' date (the day before or the issue date for my new passport)?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Quick question guys... this may just be me thinking too deeply in my final review...

Question 14 a - What should I enter as my old passport's expiry date - its original expiry date or its 'cancellation' date (the day before or the issue date for my new passport)?
I put the original expiry date. I don;t think it's an issue, we submitted photocopies of the passports, they can check those if they need to. In-fact, mentioning the actual expiry also confirms that there was no gap.

Reactions: irieempress

akcec

Star Member
Jan 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-02-2015
AOR Received.
28-02-2015
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Done....
26-01-2015
Interview........
23-02-2016
I put the actual date status was obtained on the form. But on the calculator I put the start of eligibility date because that's what it asked for. I too was getting that silly warning about dates falling outside when I put actual start date on the calc.
This makes sense. What did you use for the end dates? The day when you obtained the PR (minus 1) or actual expiry of temporary status? In my case the expiry of the work permit is beyond the PR date.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
This makes sense. What did you use for the end dates? The day when you obtained the PR (minus 1) or actual expiry of temporary status? In my case the expiry of the work permit is beyond the PR date.
PR date minus 1, because on PR day they took my work permit away.

jacZ

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
I have a question ,please help me,
q13) Have you ever had immigration or citizenship status in any country other than Canada ,including your birth country?
My father used to work aborad in several countries and i was obviously with him ,should i list all those countries?
its not a permanent residency status nor citizenship though....
and is the tourist status included ?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
I have a question ,please help me,
q13) Have you ever had immigration or citizenship status in any country other than Canada ,including your birth country?
My father used to work aborad in several countries and i was obviously with him ,should i list all those countries?
its not a permanent residency status nor citizenship though....
and is the tourist status included ?
Doesn't ask for tourist status. What was your status in those countries when you were with him ?

Reactions: jacZ

akcec

Star Member
Jan 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-02-2015
AOR Received.
28-02-2015
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Done....
26-01-2015
Interview........
23-02-2016
"

I did the same thing as what razerblade said,
I had two study permits (I assigned two separate lines for both the application and the calculator)
for the calculator:
1-the starting date of my first permit (2011) is my eligibility date (October 2012) but the expiry date is its actual expiration date (Oct 2014). It means (Oct. 2012- Oct.2014)
2-for the second permit (2014), I put the actual starting date (although it has conflict with the expiration date of my first permit) (from sep 2014) and the expiration date was one day before my PR date. I could not chose the PR date!
What is interesting is that the calculator allows us to enter permits even with day conflicts and calculate correct days.

For the application:
1- for the first study permit I wrote all the information same as its study permit dates (2011-Oct 2014).
2- Second study permit, the starting date (Sep 2014) same as the calculator, the expiration date is my pr date (because there is an stamp that the officer put at the time landing shows my PR date on it)

do you think what i did is right? I have not sent it yet!
I think overlap is fine. I had both a work permit and study permit that overlap in time and I put both. The calculator will count the overlap period only once.

As for the end date not sure if it should be the date of the PR or the previous day. But given that the calculator considers the end date of the temporary status as be day before PR I am sticking with that.