+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Buying Jackets for Canada

valeria_pac

Oct 15, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Where are you landing? I agree with previous posters, if you are going to Vancouver then you may be able to find something warm enough in your home country, but if you're going to Toronto or Ottawa, you may want to wait until you are in Canada before investing in a good winter jacket.

What I would do, for landing and the first few days, is to buy a warm jacket where you are, plus additional layers like sweaters (preferably wool but cotton will also do), and thin fleece jackets. That way you can add several layers under whatever jacket you are bringing with you, and stay warm for the first few hours/days.

Mzub

Jul 9, 2017
I also have to buy winter clothing and boots for landing, coming from saudi arabia and have children.

valeria_pac

Oct 15, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The thing is i will have to have something for my initial landing
For the day you land (and the first few days in case you can't go to the store right away), it may be more effective to buy layers than a winter jacket. Those puffy ones that we find in warmer countries (I also come from a very warm country) are all air inside, and it's not very effective to wear something like that in the deepest of winter, because that air that is packed in the jacket will be cold, and will make you colder.

Bring whatever winter jacket you already own, or get one, and make sure to bring layers like what they were suggesting above. Even layering a couple cotton shirts and then a couple wool sweaters would do.

Reactions: Nobatia

valeria_pac

Oct 15, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I also have to buy winter clothing and boots for landing, coming from saudi arabia and have children.
For your children I strongly suggest visiting second-hand stores like Value Village, Goodwill, Salvation Army Thrift Store, etc. I know in many countries it is not common or socially acceptable to buy used clothes (in my country it is not common at all, and nobody likes that) but it is extremely common in Canada, especially for children because they only wear those expensive winter clothes for one winter, and the next season they have grown out of them. You can go and buy jackets, boots, etc. for all of them, and then once you are settled you can decide if you want to invest in new garments and boots.

Reactions: Mzub

Nobatia

Aug 20, 2017
United Arab Emirates
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29-12-2017
AOR Received.
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
15-01-2018
Passport Req..
02-05-2018
VISA ISSUED...
03-06-2018
LANDED..........
13-10-2018
I brought some thermal wear (socks, vest, long-johns) with me from UAE but I ended up just layering and packed a large jacket in my handbag. It was around 6-8 degrees outside but I had a car waiting for me so I didn't even need a jacket.

Later on while shopping, I used the jacket plus a scarf until I was able to get a proper winter coat.

Definitely happy I didn't waste money buying this stuff back home as I was already over my luggage weight limit.
Though it took me a while to find comfortable snow boots (ended up getting a pair from Sorrel, they have comfortable padding). When it comes to jackets, you either have to sacrifice the coolness factor to get something reasonably priced but bulky looking. Or be prepared to shell out a lot more for a slimming coat.

That was my experience at least, hope it helps.

Reactions: valeria_pac

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
I brought some thermal wear (socks, vest, long-johns) with me from UAE but I ended up just layering and packed a large jacket in my handbag. It was around 6-8 degrees outside but I had a car waiting for me so I didn't even need a jacket.

Later on while shopping, I used the jacket plus a scarf until I was able to get a proper winter coat.

Definitely happy I didn't waste money buying this stuff back home as I was already over my luggage weight limit.
Though it took me a while to find comfortable snow boots (ended up getting a pair from Sorrel, they have comfortable padding). When it comes to jackets, you either have to sacrifice the coolness factor to get something reasonably priced but bulky looking. Or be prepared to shell out a lot more for a slimming coat.

That was my experience at least, hope it helps.
Do i need boots for the first few weeks

Nobatia

Aug 20, 2017
United Arab Emirates
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29-12-2017
AOR Received.
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
15-01-2018
Passport Req..
02-05-2018
VISA ISSUED...
03-06-2018
LANDED..........
13-10-2018
Do i need boots for the first few weeks
Guess it depends on when on you land. Right now, not really. I manage just fine with a good pair of heavy (not thermal) socks and running shoes.
Still, I already bought mine so I'd be ready once it's time to use them, probably soon judging by the forecasts.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would wait especially for boots. You can definitely get from the airport to a hotel/airbnb and from your temporary residence to a shopping mall with sneakers

Reactions: Mzub