+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Buying car with international driving license

calvin

Jul 23, 2009
Can I buy a car with an international driving license? I am from Singapore, no direct conversion to BC license according to rule.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

calvin said:
Can I buy a car with an international driving license? I am from Singapore, no direct conversion to BC license according to rule.
1. Sure the dealer doesn't care as long as he gets your money.
2. Where you will run into problems is continuing to drive it after 6 months and getting insurance from ICBC without a driver's license.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
calvin said:
Singapore licence does not have reciprocal agreements with all the provinces as far as i know, so u can buy a car with an international licence or any driving licence as long as u have one but u will need to convert and get a BC licence or any other province for sure, after the 90 days period or 6 mths period after u land to be able to continue to drive regardless if its yr own vehicle or any vehicle.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
calvin said:
U can't buy a car with IDP/IDL, 'coz u can't register it w/out an insurance, & u don't get an auto insurance w/out a Canadian DL.

I had run into the same trouble & had to wait 4 days before I got my license here.

Qorax

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
qorax said:
U can't buy a car with IDP/IDL, 'coz u can't register it w/out an insurance, & u don't get an auto insurance w/out a Canadian DL.

I had run into the same trouble & had to wait 4 days before I got my license here.

Qorax
apologise for the misleading information then, calvin, cause i thought IDP is useable in Canada for a period of time and i have never done it before using IDP. Qorax must be right in this aspect since he has experience in this area.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

quote author=qorax link=topic=50656.msg399967#msg399967 date=1282715341]

Qorax
[/quote]

Lots of visitors to Canada buy cars in Canada for traveling around and they don't have provincial licenses. For BC read the rules for insuring cars. Note that the IDL is not a license, it is just a translation of your home license.

singh092120

Aug 23, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-Nov-2009
Doc's Request.
9-Feb-2010
Nomination.....
26-Mar-2010
AOR Received.
6-Apr-2010
IELTS Request
Allready done
File Transfer...
17-Feb-2010
Med's Request
20-jan-11, Received 27-1-11
Med's Done....
31 Jan. 11
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-01-11
VISA ISSUED...
22/02/2011
LANDED..........
On 25/03/2011
qorax said:

Qorax
Sir,
Is it necessary to have surname in your documents for issuance of driving license?
thanx.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
singh092120 said:
Sir,
Is it necessary to have surname in your documents for issuance of driving license?
thanx.
Not necessary. But, probably if your name is Jaspreet Singh Ghuman, u'd be issued your PRV as GHUMAN (Surname) JASPREET SINGH (First name). And that'd suffice.

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
You can buy a car without a licence, but you will have problems getting plates and you will need insurance, to get plates from the ministry of transportation. Thats where hiccups begin, getting insurance with a foreign license is so sos expensive, live alone just have a G1, so would advice to sort out your licence, and speak to insurance advisors before getting in buying a car.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just spoken to an autoplan salesman and he said I can get the car insurance with my home country driver license, although the premium would be higher than most BC driver license holders.

PMM said:
Hi

1. Sure the dealer doesn't care as long as he gets your money.
2. Where you will run into problems is continuing to drive it after 6 months and getting insurance from ICBC without a driver's license.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is a website that tells you how to get your car license plate, insured and registered in Alberta. It should be similar to BC.

http://www.insuranceab.com/how-to-get-car-insurance-quotes-in-alberta.html

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
PMM said:
Lots of visitors to Canada buy cars in Canada for traveling around and they don't have provincial licenses. For BC read the rules for insuring cars. Note that the IDL is not a license, it is just a translation of your home license.
true. we have friends here who arrived just 2 weeks ago and they bought a car last week without any problems.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
martha marita said:
You can buy a car without a licence, but you will have problems getting plates and you will need insurance, to get plates from the ministry of transportation. Thats where hiccups begin, getting insurance with a foreign license is so sos expensive, live alone just have a G1, so would advice to sort out your licence, and speak to insurance advisors before getting in buying a car.
insurance for G1 driver is around $5000 a year in Ontario. maybe it's better to pass exam for a full G license if one is an experienced driver with full license from another country.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suin said:
true. we have friends here who arrived just 2 weeks ago and they bought a car last week without any problems.
True. if you have letter of driving experience from your home country, the insurance premium can be lower.