Buying a new house

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
curious_toad said:
How does one do that?
Several ideas: one might be near them to know their accent; or by word of mouth; had conversation with them, etc.

Furthermore one doesn't have to be in Canada in order to meet a Canadian realtor and lawyer to complete the buying process (including mortgage) and land registration. There is no international calling charges in doing so.

curious_toad

Star Member
Aug 1, 2015
steaky said:
Several ideas: one might be near them to know their accent; or by word of mouth; had conversation with them, etc.

Furthermore one doesn't have to be in Canada in order to meet a Canadian realtor and lawyer to complete the buying process (including mortgage) and land registration. There is no international calling charges in doing so.
I don't live in Canada, I am not one of those PR applicants or PR holders and there are no known Canadian realtors in our part of the world (why even would they be), that's why i was seriously asking: How does one find a realtor willing to sell to 'Non-Canadians'.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
I do not know a single realtor who would NOT be happy to sell to you. It is all about money, big money! Especially here in Vancouver, contact any Remax office and I am sure they help you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
curious_toad said:
I don't live in Canada, I am not one of those PR applicants or PR holders and there are no known Canadian realtors in our part of the world (why even would they be), that's why i was seriously asking: How does one find a realtor willing to sell to 'Non-Canadians'.
How much are you looking to spend? (ballpark)

I agree with the poster above. It shouldn't be difficult at all to find a realtor from outside of Canada.

ALRIVAS

Star Member
May 8, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
10-12-1994
Hi curious_toad I don't know where you're coming from but I understand you can't come and trust someone you never met before my advice to you as I said it before here is.
1) interview 3 realtors or more.
2) Ask all questions you have pay attention who's after commissions and and who's giving you an advice.
3)choose the one that you feel is honest and matches your personality.
In Ontario the service of a realtor are 100% free to the buyer in some cases buyers pay but that is only if the seller is not paying commissions.
The most important part is we have a code of ethics I can proudly say that the most part of realtors are good people.
Last thing is don't forget to ask your realtor if he has a second job if he does move on hire only a full time realtor.
I hate partimers they cause problems.
Good luck.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
curious_toad said:
How does one find a realtor willing to sell to 'Non-Canadians'.
Realtors are just middle man. The decision to sell or not to sell are made by the vendors (whether individuals or companies). Whether or not your offer is accept, is all about money.

One can buy property directly from vendor.

Vendors can be of any nationality.

curious_toad

Star Member
Aug 1, 2015
scylla said:
How much are you looking to spend? (ballpark)

I agree with the poster above. It shouldn't be difficult at all to find a realtor from outside of Canada.

I am looking for something around CA$ 600,000/- max

However, thanks all for suggestions, let me try again with some of the real estate agents.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
curious_toad said:
I am looking for something around CA$ 600,000/- max

However, thanks all for suggestions, let me try again with some of the real estate agents.
Good luck but I don't think you would find any single house (with ample garden)within that ballpark in metro Vancouver - especially brand new.

Money is the first thing to consider when buying a single home in metro Vancouver.

curious_toad

Star Member
Aug 1, 2015
so how do people afford homes in places like that?

Also, how many people there have that kind of money, I mean don't many people there live on endless circle of borrowing/credit cards and paying back in the end having a poor to average liquidity? Coz, we get news of how tough things are in North America esp. Canada with many people living from paycheck to paycheck.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
curious_toad said:
Several ideas: Borrowing from relatives or banks; or they can buy w/o any borrowing.

No idea what you talking about in 2nd question. Even in Manhattan NY, a brand new 1 bedroom condo sells for over 1 million US dollars and there are no shortage of buyers.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
curious_toad said:

Also, how many people there have that kind of money, I mean don't many people there live on endless circle of borrowing/credit cards and paying back in the end having a poor to average liquidity? Coz, we get news of how tough things are in North America esp. Canada with many people living from paycheck to paycheck.
In 1977 the minimum wage was around $3.00 per hour
In 1987 around $4.25
In 1997 $7.00
In 2007 $8.00
2016 $10.45

Now compare.. in 40 years the hourly rate has tripled, house prices gone up 20 times! So 40 years ago it was possible to own your home, even 25 years ago, now the average wage earner has little chance without help.

See below the house prices since 1977..

curious_toad

Star Member
Aug 1, 2015
In Ontario, for a person working 6 days a week @ 8hrs/day on minimum wage would earn:

48hrs/week x CA$11.00/hour = CA$528.00/week x 52weeks/year = CA$27,456.00 (gross)

Keeping everything simple, after tax income = CA$24,250.00/annual, if that persons annual expenses are 50% then savings will be CA$12,125.00/annual.

Clearly, how is one supposed to afford a home there? It's a dire scenario considering that person is living in a economically well-off nation like Canada!!!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
curious_toad said:
Clearly, how is one supposed to afford a home there? It's a dire scenario considering that person is living in a economically well-off nation like Canada!!!
Then that person (unlike you) would not think of getting a brand new house with ample garden initially. More likely to live in a "touched" or "lived" home or old home when he/she first arrived.

Compare to the condo prices in Manhattan, I would say it's a common scenario rather than dire.