+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BSF186 Complication, Question(s) for Multiple Shipments

felisae

May 7, 2018
I hope this is the right place for this. I've been scouring the internet (and then these boards) for information, and I feel like this is the closest I've come to!

I'm returning to Canada after roughly 20 years, having left with my parents as a minor to move to the US. As far as I understand it, I should still be a citizen (hopefully that's not another hurdle I'll have to jump in the future). I think I've figured most of it out (plane flight, requirements for entry documentation, procedure for my pets, etc), however my original plan for multiple shipments of my personal items may be complicating things. I found these threads, among other things, that answers some questions but not all.
CanadianVisa: Sample BSF186 and BSF186a attached for ref
CanadianVisa: Form B4 (Goods to Follow/Accompanying List): How to ???

I was intending to ship through UPS, that may or may not be relevant. My plan was to:
- Ship a couple of items a couple weeks to my significant other's address, where I'll be moving, so that I'll have it available to me as soon as I arrive. This would be my laptop and a few other things I consider necessities until I have...
- A second shipment containing essentials for the next few months of my life, but aren't immediately necessary, and...
- A third shipment planned 6 months to a year down the line, containing the rest of my less vital personal belongings, when I'm comfortably settled and have more funds to do so.

From what I understand I should make two different lists for BSF186/A: one for Goods Accompanying, and one for Goods to Follow. However, at this point in time, it looks like I would actually end up with:
- Items shipped weeks before my US departure, to be ready for me immediately, that can't/are unsafe to go on the flight
- Items with me when entering Canada by plane
- Items shipped just prior to the flight, to (hopefully) arrive within a few days of entering Canada
- Items to follow 6+ months later

How would I go about all this? Which lists are labeled as what? Am I going to need to fill out everything ahead of time on the same set of forms, including the list of items that follow much later? Does it matter if some "Goods to Follow" arrive much later than others? Am I excessively over-complicating things?

I've tried to make this transition as smooth and convenient as possible, but I've definitely hit a snag!

Last edited:

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I hope this is the right place for this. I've been scouring the internet (and then these boards) for information, and I feel like this is the closest I've come to!

I'm returning to Canada after roughly 20 years, having left with my parents as a minor to move to the US. As far as I understand it, I should still be a citizen (hopefully that's not another hurdle I'll have to jump in the future). I think I've figured most of it out (plane flight, requirements for entry documentation, procedure for my pets, etc), however my original plan for multiple shipments of my personal items may be complicating things. I found these threads, among other things, that answers some questions but not all.
CanadianVisa: Sample BSF186 and BSF186a attached for ref
CanadianVisa: Form B4 (Goods to Follow/Accompanying List): How to ???

I was intending to ship through UPS, that may or may not be relevant. My plan was to:
- Ship a couple of items a couple weeks to my significant other's address, where I'll be moving, so that I'll have it available to me as soon as I arrive. This would be my laptop and a few other things I consider necessities until I have...
- A second shipment containing essentials for the next few months of my life, but aren't immediately necessary, and...
- A third shipment planned 6 months to a year down the line, containing the rest of my less vital personal belongings, when I'm comfortably settled and have more funds to do so.

From what I understand I should make two different lists for BSF186/A: one for Goods Accompanying, and one for Goods to Follow. However, at this point in time, it looks like I would actually end up with:
- Items shipped weeks before my US departure, to be ready for me immediately, that can't/are unsafe to go on the flight
- Items with me when entering Canada by plane
- Items shipped just prior to the flight, to (hopefully) arrive within a few days of entering Canada
- Items to follow 6+ months later

How would I go about all this? Which lists are labeled as what? Am I going to need to fill out everything ahead of time on the same set of forms, including the list of items that follow much later? Does it matter if some "Goods to Follow" arrive much later than others? Am I excessively over-complicating things?

I've tried to make this transition as smooth and convenient as possible, but I've definitely hit a snag!
Same with me.
How to do multiple imports ( in my case by car) of goods to follow? During the landing both forms will be stamped, I understand that.
Still how to do multiple import, like second time I drive a truck with some "goods to follow" from the list, another time I'll import the vehicle, etc.?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Same with me.
How to do multiple imports ( in my case by car) of goods to follow? During the landing both forms will be stamped, I understand that.
Still how to do multiple import, like second time I drive a truck with some "goods to follow" from the list, another time I'll import the vehicle, etc.?
It's simple. Every time you import items you will show GTF list you got stamped at first landing and CBSA agent will cross off items from the list.

felisae

May 7, 2018
For me it's a bit more complex since everything will be shipped, and probably through two different companies (the first being UPS, the second being a moving "cube" company). I may have simplified it a little bit: I can try and check a second bag for my flight, that being the other immediately important things inside a durable container, but doesn't really resolve the later shipments. Particularly the one that ships before I leave, but arrives after!

EDIT:
Alright, so I contacted the Border Information Services again this morning, and the lady was extremely helpful. For anybody else with the issue of having to ship multiple sets of items over different periods:

- You only need one BSF186 for your entire collection of personal effects.
- You can create a unique BSF186A/set of unique BSF186As for each shipment. This means, in my case, that I can fill out 1-2 186As for my UPS shipment, stop partway down the page, and start new ones for the "cube" moving company I plan on using later.
- For anything you aren't physically present for, make sure you provide all copies of the forms regardless of what event/shipment they're for, for every event/shipment, to the companies involved, even if those items aren't in that specific event/shipment. I'll need all of my forms for the initial plane flight, copies of everything for UPS, and copies of everything for the moving company.
- For any form of shipping/moving where you aren't personally involved, you may need to go to the closest operations/border office where your personal effects are to claim your goods. This is affected by whether or not a company is Bonded, I believe she said, as well as the version of the paperwork they have (stamped or unstamped). Difference between having to bring your items home yourself, or having them complete the shipment/move for you?
- ABSOLUTELY alert any border/customs agent that you have MULTIPLE sheets, and expect MULTIPLE shipments. They may not notice otherwise, which can complicate things.
- And bonus information that people often miss: most items can be bundled together (clothes, linens, CDs, books, kitchen supplies, toiletries, etc), but electronics such as computers and accessories need to be listed separately with their serial numbers. If you can't find a serial number and it's a major electronic device, still list it separately and describe it clearly, but write something like "SN: N/A".
- The above applies to anything else that has a unique serial number. Yes, even appliances, for those that have one. It also applies to unique artwork for those that may have some, list them individually.

In other words, one BSF186, as many BSF186As as you need, have them all prepared and with you during your initial entry, make sure the agent you talk to is aware you have multiple sheets/shipments, and expect to need to head to an office in order to claim your goods. Personally I'd also recommend having multiple copies of the entire set in general. This isn't a time to live dangerously!

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex54321