+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bryanna and friends - help needed regarding parents' visitor visa

Ustaad

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
Hi Bryanna,

I am new to this section of forum and saw that you help people a lot here. Would be really thankful if you can help me out too.

I came to Canada in August 2013 on a Student Visa to University of Alberta, did 2 year Masters here, got a completion letter on 7th July 2015 and got PGWP on 27 July 2015 (by flagpoling).

Although I recently got a PGWP, still I am looking for a full time job, currently continuing to work part time at a gas station (been doing it since Sep 2013), making $1300 per month (after taxes).

My convocation ceremony is on November 17, 2015. I want to sponsor my parents from India on a visitor visa to attend my convocation ceremony. I have got letter from University for the same.

Since I also have an ITA for applying under Express Entry under FSW category, recently my parents transferred $13,000 in my TD Bank account here, which I will use as Proof of funds for applying PR in first week of October 2015. I want to apply for the Visitor visa of my parents in Mid September 2015.

My parents' financial details are (after converting to Canadian Currency)

PF Balance in my dad's account : $45,000 (And a letter furnished from my dad's office, signed and stamped, on a letterhead, certifying that this money is readily available for their trip to Canada)
Money in Banks on Mom's and Dad's name : $10,000
Money which they recently sent me here : $13,000

Total liquid money : $68,000 and estimated cost of their living here for 20-25 days + to and fro air travel = $10,000

Property in India on my parents name: $ 500,000

My annual income + My father's annual income + My real younger (unmarried) sister's annual income = $36,000

My father is in Government job in India

My questions are:

1. As per financial and other details described above, are there chances my parents will get a visitor's visa?
2. What documents (as per situation described above), do I need to attach?
3. Do I need to give my bank statement OR just a current balance letter from my TD Bank from here? Because if I have to give last 3 months bank statement, CIC will come to know about the recent monies transferred and how will I explain that? (although its been transferred from the person who is coming to Canada to who is inviting them)
4. Do I need to book their air ticket to show to CIC while applying for visitor visa?
5. Any other suggestions/ dos/don'ts?

Thanks in advance

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Sure. I'll try to help.

PF Balance in my dad's account : $45,000 (And a letter furnished from my dad's office, signed and stamped, on a letterhead, certifying that this money is readily available for their trip to Canada)
A word of caution:
Having more than adequate finances to fund the trip is one thing..... and saying a relatively large amount of CAD 45,000 (or a total of CAD 68,000).... is *readily available for their trip to Canada*..... could give the wrong impression that your parents are *moving long-term* to Canada. So be careful how you word the details about their finances for their visit + how much money they will actually bring along for their visit.

Financially, your parents situation is excellent.... your dad's employment + property ties + your sister in India are other plus points.

btw you cannot consider your sister's annual income as she is not applying for a TRV with your parents.

2. What documents (as per situation described above), do I need to attach?
Your parents can provide proof of their strong ties to India:
1. Your dad's employment (employment letter + 6 months salary slips + leave approval letter + NOC from the government of India department + must return by XX date to resume his work commitments)

2. Property: Sale Agreement + CA valuation + proofs for indicative market value + if it is not mortgaged then mention this point

3. Other financial assets: FDs, recurring deposits, mutual funds, shares, EPF, LIC, etc + latest 6 months bank statements (single/joint holder)

4. Family Ties: Your sister + any other immediate family who live with your parents/nearby

5. Your parents can also scan visas/show any previous travel history (in the last 10 years)

3. Do I need to give my bank statement OR just a current balance letter from my TD Bank from here? Because if I have to give last 3 months bank statement, CIC will come to know about the recent monies transferred and how will I explain that? (although its been transferred from the person who is coming to Canada to who is inviting them)
You must submit your bank statement + an explanation that the CAD 13,000 was transferred by your parents for your ITA + your parents' bank statement showing the transfer

4. Do I need to book their air ticket to show to CIC while applying for visitor visa?
No, it is not necessary to book air tickets before TRVs are issued.... you can prepare a travel itinerary/book provisional tickets and mention in the Cover Letter that your parents will confirm these tickets when the TRVs are issued.

5. Any other suggestions/ dos/don'ts?
Do take care not to use words like *live/stay* in your Invitation Letter or the Cover Letter for your parents. As visitors, your parents are only *visiting*.

You may also want to prepare a detailed day-by-day itinerary listing out activities/tourist places/meeting family and friends, etc.... and not just for your convocation.

Do work out expense estimates for this itinerary = XX amount.... your parents will bring this XX amount for this itinerary + some surplus amount..... and they will not bring large amounts :)

Hope this helps :)

Ustaad

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
Bryanna said:
Hi,

Sure. I'll try to help.

A word of caution:
Having more than adequate finances to fund the trip is one thing..... and saying a relatively large amount of CAD 45,000 (or a total of CAD 68,000).... is *readily available for their trip to Canada*..... could give the wrong impression that your parents are *moving long-term* to Canada. So be careful how you word the details about their finances for their visit + how much money they will actually bring along for their visit.

Financially, your parents situation is excellent.... your dad's employment + property ties + your sister in India are other plus points.

btw you cannot consider your sister's annual income as she is not applying for a TRV with your parents.

1. Your dad's employment (employment letter + 6 months salary slips + leave approval letter + NOC from the government of India department + must return by XX date to resume his work commitments)

2. Property: Sale Agreement + CA valuation + proofs for indicative market value + if it is not mortgaged then mention this point

3. Other financial assets: FDs, recurring deposits, mutual funds, shares, EPF, LIC, etc + latest 6 months bank statements (single/joint holder)

4. Family Ties: Your sister + any other immediate family who live with your parents/nearby

5. Your parents can also scan visas/show any previous travel history (in the last 10 years)

You must submit your bank statement + an explanation that the CAD 13,000 was transferred by your parents for your ITA + your parents' bank statement showing the transfer

No, it is not necessary to book air tickets before TRVs are issued.... you can prepare a travel itinerary/book provisional tickets and mention in the Cover Letter that your parents will confirm these tickets when the TRVs are issued.

Do take care not to use words like *live/stay* in your Invitation Letter or the Cover Letter for your parents. As visitors, your parents are only *visiting*.

You may also want to prepare a detailed day-by-day itinerary listing out activities/tourist places/meeting family and friends, etc.... and not just for your convocation.

Do work out expense estimates for this itinerary = XX amount.... your parents will bring this XX amount for this itinerary + some surplus amount..... and they will not bring large amounts :)

Hello Bryanna

I have PM you regarding a further doubt. Would be thankful if you could reply.

Kind Regards

Ustaad

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
Bryanna said:
Hi,

Sure. I'll try to help.

A word of caution:

Hi Bryanna

I have a couple of questions more:

1. Should I apply visitor visa of my parents online or via paper? Which one is more efficient? If online, my dad is not savvy about online processes so would I have to create a CIC account on his behalf, apply for a visitor visa there, upload required documents and wait for the decision?

2. If yes, I have a question. I have reviewed the document IMM5257E. I can fill in my dad's all info in that. How can I include my mom's application and information in that? In other words, how can I let them know that my dad is applying for his wife too? Does he need any proof of that fact that she is her wife? Will dad be the primary applicant? OR is there any way I can apply for visitor visa for my parents from my own CIC account?

3. While filling form IMM5257B_1, it asks "have you ever been at any government positions (such as judge, police officer, mayor etc)" My question is - my dad has been in government job for last 32 years, but not for positions like judge, police officer. He is Senior Engineer in Computer department for Indian Railways. Should he still fill yes in the asked question? If yes, what would he fill in 'level of Jurisdiction'?

Thanks in advance!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

1. Should I apply visitor visa of my parents online or via paper? Which one is more efficient? If online, my dad is not savvy about online processes so would I have to create a CIC account on his behalf, apply for a visitor visa there, upload required documents and wait for the decision?
It depends on your personal preference. If your parents submit paper applications at the VFS/CVAC office then there will be two TRV applications.... one each for your mom and dad.

Your parents must request VFS staff to bag both applications together so it goes to the same visa officer.

In the documents (Cover Letters for your parents), your dad can mention that he is the primary applicant.... and he will take care of the airfare/travel and living expenses/incidental expenses of your mom during their visit.

3. While filling form IMM5257B_1, it asks "have you ever been at any government positions (such as judge, police officer, mayor etc)" My question is - my dad has been in government job for last 32 years, but not for positions like judge, police officer. He is Senior Engineer in Computer department for Indian Railways. Should he still fill yes in the asked question? If yes, what would he fill in 'level of Jurisdiction'?
As your dad is not a Judge/Police Officer/Mayor, etc.... the answer is 'No'.... however, do mention his job title, 32 years service with the Indian Railways in his cover letter + your Invitation Letter

Cheers :)

Ustaad

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
Bryanna said:
Hi,
It depends on your personal preference. If your parents submit paper applications at the VFS/CVAC office then there will be two TRV applications.... one each for your mom and dad.

Your parents must request VFS staff to bag both applications together so it goes to the same visa officer.

In the documents (Cover Letters for your parents), your dad can mention that he is the primary applicant.... and he will take care of the airfare/travel and living expenses/incidental expenses of your mom during their visit.

As your dad is not a Judge/Police Officer/Mayor, etc.... the answer is 'No'.... however, do mention his job title, 32 years service with the Indian Railways in his cover letter + your Invitation Letter

Hi Bryanna

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have a couple more doubts:

1. I am thinking of applying via paper application for visitor visa for my mom and dad. For Dad, I will attach documents IMM 5257 (Application for temporary resident visa), IMM 5645 (Family Information), Schedule 1 and for Mom I will attach IMM 5257 (Application for temporary resident visa) and Schedule 1. My question is - do I need to separately submit a family information for for Mom too?

2. What proof does my father need to give that my mom is her wife? Will my passport indicating both of them as my parents suffice? Or what additional document should be attached to prove this?

Likewise, in order to prove that I am their son, my passport indicating both of them as my parents suffice? Or what additional document should be attached to prove this?

3. In the section "how much funds are available for your visit", should I put the same amount in mom's and dad's forms? AND, since the total liquid CAD available to my parents is $68,000, should they put $68,000 in that column? [P.S. They are planning to visit me for 3 weeks in November, so their total expenses (travel + stay + Misc) would be around $7,000]

4. Apart from attaching my dad's employment letter and salary slips, do I also need to attach my salary slips and Tax assessment forms of the job which I do in Canada? [I am asking this because I just landed to a Post Grad work permit from a Study Permit, work part time yet and make only $1300 per month after taxes; and moreover because my parents are funding their trip altogether by themselves]

5. So as per my case (as already discussed with you, see above, where you replied me earlier) my parents are funding themselves for the visit , is there any need of any kind of 'affidavit of support' from anyone to anyone?

6. So you know my case well now and after so much discussion, I am listing all the documents which I would be attaching with paper application (in the order stated): (please correct me whereever I am wrong)

1. Document Checklist page from CIC website (ticking off against the relevant document attached)
2. Cover Letter from my Dad highlighting: the purpose of their visit (to attend my convocation), the total worth (liquid money + properties), provisional itinerary, cost of the trip vs total liquid funds available to them vs how much will they bring with them, his ties to India and a list of documents attached
3. [IMM 5257 (Application for temporary resident visa), IMM 5645 (Family Information), IMM 5257 B_1 (Schedule 1)] For DAD
4. [IMM 5257 (Application for temporary resident visa), IMM 5257 B_1 (Schedule 1)] For MOM
5. An invitation letter from me highlighting: that I am inviting them and details of the travel as per my dad wrote in Point 2 + My bank balance letter of $14,000 (Do I need to attach my 6 month bank statement here????)
6. An invitation letter from the University of Alberta
6. My degree completion letter
7. My dad's employment proofs (employment letter + 6 months salary slips + leave approval letter + NOC from the government of India department + must return by XX date to resume his work commitments)
8. FDs on my mom's and dad's name (Does my Dad need to attach a 6 month statement here???)
9. Property: Sale Agreement + CA valuation of assets + proofs for indicative market value by a property dealer
10. Photos as per specifications
11. Original Passports

7. Can I just go ahead by creating a my CIC account on behalf of my dad and attaching above said documents? My concern is : Can I apply for my mom from within the same my CIC account? Second, does the online application automatically go to the same consulate as it will go via paper application?

THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE BRYANNA

Ustaad

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
Hi Bryanna

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have a couple more doubts:

1. I am thinking of applying via paper application for visitor visa for my mom and dad. For Dad, I will attach documents IMM 5257 (Application for temporary resident visa), IMM 5645 (Family Information), Schedule 1 and for Mom I will attach IMM 5257 (Application for temporary resident visa) and Schedule 1. My question is - do I need to separately submit a family information for for Mom too?

2. What proof does my father need to give that my mom is her wife? Will my passport indicating both of them as my parents suffice? Or what additional document should be attached to prove this?

Likewise, in order to prove that I am their son, my passport indicating both of them as my parents suffice? Or what additional document should be attached to prove this?

3. In the section "how much funds are available for your visit", should I put the same amount in mom's and dad's forms? AND, since the total liquid CAD available to my parents is $68,000, should they put $68,000 in that column? [P.S. They are planning to visit me for 3 weeks in November, so their total expenses (travel + stay + Misc) would be around $7,000]

4. Apart from attaching my dad's employment letter and salary slips, do I also need to attach my salary slips and Tax assessment forms of the job which I do in Canada? [I am asking this because I just landed to a Post Grad work permit from a Study Permit, work part time yet and make only $1300 per month after taxes; and moreover because my parents are funding their trip altogether by themselves]

5. So as per my case (as already discussed with you, see above, where you replied me earlier) my parents are funding themselves for the visit , is there any need of any kind of 'affidavit of support' from anyone to anyone?

6. So you know my case well now and after so much discussion, I am listing all the documents which I would be attaching with paper application (in the order stated): (please correct me whereever I am wrong)

1. Document Checklist page from CIC website (ticking off against the relevant document attached)
2. Cover Letter from my Dad highlighting: the purpose of their visit (to attend my convocation), the total worth (liquid money + properties), provisional itinerary, cost of the trip vs total liquid funds available to them vs how much will they bring with them, his ties to India and a list of documents attached
3. [IMM 5257 (Application for temporary resident visa), IMM 5645 (Family Information), IMM 5257 B_1 (Schedule 1)] For DAD
4. [IMM 5257 (Application for temporary resident visa), IMM 5257 B_1 (Schedule 1)] For MOM
5. An invitation letter from me highlighting: that I am inviting them and details of the travel as per my dad wrote in Point 2 + My bank balance letter of $14,000 (Do I need to attach my 6 month bank statement here?)
6. An invitation letter from the University of Alberta
6. My degree completion letter
7. My dad's employment proofs (employment letter + 6 months salary slips + leave approval letter + NOC from the government of India department + must return by XX date to resume his work commitments)
8. FDs on my mom's and dad's name (Does my Dad need to attach a 6 month statement here???)
9. Property: Sale Agreement + CA valuation of assets + proofs for indicative market value by a property dealer
10. Photos as per specifications
11. Original Passports

7. Can I just go ahead by creating a my CIC account on behalf of my dad and attaching above said documents? My concern is : Can I apply for my mom from within the same my CIC account? Second, does the online application automatically go to the same consulate as it will go via paper application?

THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE BRYANNA

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

1. My question is - do I need to separately submit a family information for for Mom too?
Yes, a separate Family Information form for your mom

Copy of your passport, of course.... their individual passports (which state they are each other's spouse)

In the section "how much funds are available for your visit", should I put the same amount in mom's and dad's forms?
Please put a realistic amount considering their planned itinerary and airfare.

You can mention in their cover letters that although the liquid funds available for their visit is CAD 68,000, they will bring CAD XXXX which is more than adequate to cover their visit.

Do check the *available liquid funds*..... I think CAD 68,000 is incorrect..... as CAD 13,000 has been transferred to your account, it cannot be included in your parents' finances.

A question:
The CAD 45,000 from the PF account.... is this locked-in the PF account? Or withdrawn from the PF account? Or now held as new financial investments such as FDs? Or in your parents bank account? And, if yes, since when?

Apart from attaching my dad's employment letter and salary slips, do I also need to attach my salary slips and Tax assessment forms of the job which I do in Canada?
My bank balance letter of $14,000 (Do I need to attach my 6 month bank statement here?)
You can submit your T4s/NOA (if available) + your employment letter + your bank statement (1 month.... with the explanation) + the explanation for the CAD 13,000 transferred to your account + your dad's bank statement showing the transfer.

For TRVs, applicants must prove they can support themselves financially during their visit. Hence, please note: Your financial documents (as the host) are not mandatory.

In your Invitation Letter + the Cover Letters for your mom and dad.... please mention that your dad will pay for all the travel and living expenses/airfare/incidentals incurred during the visit for your mom.

If your mom has adequate finances in her name.... backed by her ITRs for the last 2 years..... then instead of the above statement, you can mention your parents will have shared expenses during their visit.... and this will be paid jointly from their individual/joint finances.... and state their total individual finances available/bring.

5. An invitation letter from me highlighting: that I am inviting them and details of the travel
Will you provide accommodation? If yes, then do mention this in your Invitation Letter.... if no, then add provisional hotel bookings + estimated hotel expenses to the liquid funds required for their visit.

You can submit FD interest certificates from the banks where these FDs are held.... and a letter from the bank listing all the FDs (FD numbers/principal amounts/start dates, etc.... and this letter should state these FDs are not locked-in nor loans taken against them.

Do check the suggestions I mentioned in my first post in this thread for their strong ties.

7. Can I just go ahead by creating a my CIC account on behalf of my dad and attaching above said documents?
If you submit paper applications then this is not required

Ustaad

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
Hi Bryanna thanks so much for your reply:

Here is the answer to the question which you posed in the middle:

Actually $45,000 is the PF balance of my father with his employer. And as and when an explanation is provided (e.g. marriage of a son, travel to foreign country, sickness etc), one can disburse a part of it. Plus, mentioning so much of liquid funds in hand will show that my parents are established in their country and need not permanently come to Canada, as they have a decent base + 10 years of remaining job time (till retirement) of my father. So should I go ahead by mentioning these $45,000?

Secondly, they are sending me $12,000. I want to include that money as available for their trip, as I can portray that they sent me this money to take care of the expenses occurring in Canada while they are here plus a bit surplus for my use, and mention this fact in cover letter of my dad and mine invitation letter Does it make sense?

Awaiting your reply

Thanks in advance

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Actually $45,000 is the PF balance of my father with his employer.
If it is an EPF account then this is a locked-in pension fund.... and cannot be withdrawn unless one leaves an organization.... or only if the remaining service tenure is less than 10 years from retirement.

Are you referring to EPF.... or PPF (ie Public Provident Fund for tax investment purposes every year).... or both?

What the above means:
If it is an EPF account then your dad cannot show this as *available liquid cash*..... yes, of course, it adds to his strong financial situation. He can even mention that he can withdraw XX amount (if applicable to him), if required for his visit.

This also means his *available liquid cash* will be lesser than your earlier calculations...... the revised *available liquid cash* will include your parents' bank balance + foreign currency (if any).... and their total finances will include your dad's EPF/PPF balance + FDs + shares/stocks, etc etc.... along with their bank balance + foreign currency, etc

Secondly, they are sending me $12,000. I want to include that money as available for their trip,
Any large deposits in your bank account must be explained along with evidence (if you provide evidence of your finances).

Please consider the above points about your dad's EPF/PPF and do rework the available liquid cash