+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

British citizen with Candian Father

fuzzums

Mar 19, 2024
Hi
I was born in UK and have lived here all my life. I've recently found out my biological father was a Canadian Citizen and lived in Canada. He unfortunately passed away before I found out about him and his name is not on my birth certificate. I have made contact and met with my half siblings in Canada and at least one of them would be willing to do a DNA test.
I believe I can now apply for a Canadian Citizen certificate. Is this correct?
Do I apply with a CIT0001?
Do I just add a covering letter explaining why my father's name is not on my birth certificate and explain about my half siblings/DNA?
At the moment I don't have a copy of my father's birth certificate, only my Canadian Grandmother's. Do I have to have this?
Many thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi
I was born in UK and have lived here all my life. I've recently found out my biological father was a Canadian Citizen and lived in Canada. He unfortunately passed away before I found out about him and his name is not on my birth certificate. I have made contact and met with my half siblings in Canada and at least one of them would be willing to do a DNA test.
I believe I can now apply for a Canadian Citizen certificate. Is this correct?
Do I apply with a CIT0001?
Do I just add a covering letter explaining why my father's name is not on my birth certificate and explain about my half siblings/DNA?
At the moment I don't have a copy of my father's birth certificate, only my Canadian Grandmother's. Do I have to have this?
Many thanks
What year were you born?
What year was your father born?
Was he born in Canada or outside of Canada?
If outside of Canada, when and how did he obtain citizenship?

fuzzums

Mar 19, 2024
What year were you born?
What year was your father born?
Was he born in Canada or outside of Canada?
If outside of Canada, when and how did he obtain citizenship?
I was born 1966
Father born 1927
Father born in Canada

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Yes, you do. You are deriving your citizenship from your father, not your grandmother. Since you have a half-sibling that is willing to help you out, I would suggest that you ask him/her to obtain your father's birth certificate from his province of birth, a copy of his/her own birth certificate with your father's name, and a letter from him/herself explaining that he/she is willing to provide DNA. He/she can then mail the documents to you so that you can include them in your application with your cover letter. If IRCC accepts your explanation, they will then contact your half-sibling for a DNA test.

Reactions: fuzzums