+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

british citizen marrying canadian citizen

daisy0310

Nov 9, 2009
Hi, I am a British citizen living in the UK and am planning to marry my Canadian fiance in July of next year. My fiance is a Canadian citizen living and working in Canada and I plan to join him in Canada after the wedding.
I have been advised the only way for me to apply for permanent residency is for him to sponsor me from Canada once we are married and the application usually takes 5-6 months. However this would mean me going into Canada with no application in process. Could anyone advise me if this is the best option? Also would I be able to work whilst the application is being processed and would I be able to leave Canada to return to the UK if I needed to for any reason?
Thanks

fallenstar831

Nov 8, 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
22-12-2009
Med's Done....
12-11-2009
Passport Req..
02-05-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-22-2010
LANDED..........
03-25-2010
Hi Daisy,

My husband and I were in a similar situation - he is in England, I am here in Canada. We waited to be married to start the application, as the processing times are MUCH quicker this way. While the application is in process you are free to come and go between Canada and the UK, however only on a visitors visa, therefore there is no work permit. I'm not to sure about the details bout getitng a permit, but the impression I've been give is that that can slow things down - if it is even posisble.

Best of luck with the wedding and my advice is to start getting together the details now, keep emails and document EVERYTHING. Also, plan to wait about 4 weeks for your medical exam, if doing it in the UK - we had to wait 5 weeks :S

Cheers xD

Jen

Juche

Star Member
May 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2009
AOR Received.
17-11-2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
15-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
18-01-2010
Look on the bright side - 5 or 6 months isn't really that long, it'll fly by faster than you think. And now its winter so flights will be cheap if you get super lovesick.

nadja

Nov 10, 2009
I'm not sure that processing times are quicker when you are married than if you declare yourself officially common law - friends just applied (they are unmarried but living together) and it only took 2 months for the visa to be processed and ready...

daisy0310

Nov 9, 2009
Thanks very much for your replies!
Jen, did you make an inland or outland application and do you the benefits/disadvantages of either option? Can you return to the UK when you make an inland application?
With regards to the medical exam, do you know if there is any limit of how far in advance you can get it done?
thanks

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
The results of the medical exam are valid for one year, so it's best to take it as close to sending in the application as possible. If you don't get the visa by the time the medical exam expires, you will have to redo the exam.

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
daisy0310 said:
Hi, I am a British citizen living in the UK and am planning to marry my Canadian fiance in July of next year. My fiance is a Canadian citizen living and working in Canada and I plan to join him in Canada after the wedding.
I have been advised the only way for me to apply for permanent residency is for him to sponsor me from Canada once we are married and the application usually takes 5-6 months. However this would mean me going into Canada with no application in process. Could anyone advise me if this is the best option? Also would I be able to work whilst the application is being processed and would I be able to leave Canada to return to the UK if I needed to for any reason?
Thanks
Hi Daisy

Firstly, do read the guides for inland and outland here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/menu-immigrate.asp

We did the common law route outland via London - see my timeline, its pretty quick.

If you apply outland and "move" to Canada, leaving and re-entering may be problematic. Theoretically you should be ok as you can stay for up to six months at a time (no work or study or healthcare so get travel ins from UK if you choose this route) but that is general not an absolute, i.e. the immigration officer may refuse to allow you entry etc.
If you do this, ideally you will need to show that you do not intend to remain in Canada illegally. Have at least a return ticket, and if possible some evidence of "ties" to the UK - mortgage, lease, etc. Be honest with the border officer but do not give up your life story...
The chances are, if you have no skeletons in your closet, prepare a good informative and concise application, provide the evidence they require, and are a UK citizen who has not lived outside of the UK for more than 6 months since you were 18, you're application should be quite speedy and perhaps within the six months. London's average is 2-8 months.

I do not know about inland although I am led to believe it is slightly longer, and you may have issues re-entering if you needed to leave for any reason.

Good luck. The best you can do is study the cic.gc.ca website until you know it backwards and forwards. The guides can be difficult, but persevere and everything will fall into place.

PS. Reference the medical, depending on where you are and how much you want to pay, there is a DMP off Harley Street in London who normally have appointment availability within a a couple of weeks. Cost approx £250-300 but they courier the results to the HC within 3 working days.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
daisy0310 said:
Can you return to the UK when you make an inland application?
yes, you can. being a UK citizen you don't need visa to return back to Canada, but you need to prepare yourself that at the port of entry they can by some reason turn you back. it depends on the officer.