+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing your Car into Canada - for 'landing' >>>

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mats said:
Hi Captain,
Is the steps for bringing the Car from U.A.E also the same? becos even in the RIV site it mentions only USA.
Unless it is 15 years old, it can't be imported from UAE. Only from the US.

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
Thanks PMM,it is only 4 years old.So I guess I cannot bring it.

lilac_yun

Dec 31, 2011
I have a valid license plate on my car in the U.S, why do I still need a temporary license plate to do importing? I am also a U. S resident. Can I drive my car with my U.S plate in Canada after importing while waiting to finish my Canadian car registration? Please Advise Thanks!!

thebeast184

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 2010
Doc's Request.
Submitted with App
AOR Received.
FEB 2011
IELTS Request
Submitted w App
Med's Request
Aug 2012
Med's Done....
Sep 2012
Passport Req..
Oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
NOV 2012
LANDED..........
JAN 2013
Yes you can, you have 30 days to get the paperwork done and a license plate from your province. It is extremely simple I imported mine this January.

lilac_yun said:
I have a valid license plate on my car in the U.S, why do I still need a temporary license plate to do importing? I am also a U. S resident. Can I drive my car with my U.S plate in Canada after importing while waiting to finish my Canadian car registration? Please Advise Thanks!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

fukrey said:
why do you need to pay? can u not simply drive in to Canada and register at dmv / rmv?
No, it has to be exported from the US, imported via www.riv.ca to Canada, be inspected, before it can be registered.

pmpm

Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
18-04-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
10-10-2013
Med's Done....
15-10-2013; 25-11-2013 medicals received
Passport Req..
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
22-07-2014
Dear Experts

My husband and I live in USA. We received our PR card in 2014; we landed in Vancouver at the airport. We did not bring our belongings that time because my husband had to continue his work in USA. We stayed for 3 days and flew back to USA. Now we want to move to Canada (Ontario) permanently with PR cards.

1. My husband is planning to drive his US registered car (no withstanding debt/loan/financing; title received) to Toronto via New York border. Since we already landed earlier, do we have to pay duty/tax while bringing our car to Canada or are we still considered new immigrants?

2. As of now we don’t have any residence/ address in Canada because we never lived there. Our cars registered in USA, has USA insurance and plates. What is the best way to bring our car to Canada? Can we bring it without importing and later get registered in Canada when we have established residence and proof of address.

Kindly let me know what will be the best course of action in this scenario especially regarding our car. My husband will drive alone, because of personal reasons I will fly later to Toronto. Will this be ok if he drives alone/ moves to Canada and family joins later?

If I am mistaken at any part, please clarify and your valuable suggestions are welcome. Thank you

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

pmpm said:
Dear Experts

My husband and I live in USA. We received our PR card in 2014; we landed in Vancouver at the airport. We did not bring our belongings that time because my husband had to continue his work in USA. We stayed for 3 days and flew back to USA. Now we want to move to Canada (Ontario) permanently with PR cards.

1. My husband is planning to drive his US registered car (no withstanding debt/loan/financing; title received) to Toronto via New York border. Since we already landed earlier, do we have to pay duty/tax while bringing our car to Canada or are we still considered new immigrants?

2. As of now we don’t have any residence/ address in Canada because we never lived there. Our cars registered in USA, has USA insurance and plates. What is the best way to bring our car to Canada? Can we bring it without importing and later get registered in Canada when we have established residence and proof of address.

Kindly let me know what will be the best course of action in this scenario especially regarding our car. My husband will drive alone, because of personal reasons I will fly later to Toronto. Will this be ok if he drives alone/ moves to Canada and family joins later?

If I am mistaken at any part, please clarify and your valuable suggestions are welcome. Thank you
1. Assuming the car was listed on the goods to follow list, you have to export it from the US and then import it into Canada. The instructions are here: https://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

pmpm

Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
18-04-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
10-10-2013
Med's Done....
15-10-2013; 25-11-2013 medicals received
Passport Req..
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
22-07-2014
Dear PMM
Thank you for your response. I am delighted to get another chance to thank you after 2 years because your (and some other wonderful people helping in this forum) valuable suggestions helped a lot during entire PR process.

To the present topic: when we landed at Vancouver, the officer did not accept our B4 form citing the reason that jewellery did not have an appraisal attached and told us to bring B4 form next time when we come. That time it did not seem to be an issue (because an officer told us), but after reading the threads on B4 it seems uncommon that happened to us. We will include our car or any belongings on B4 now only. Any insight on this?
Thanks again

reloaded000

Apr 10, 2017
Hi,

I just want to confirm something. In the original sticky post, the following was mentioned at the top:
" It's another matter if u r just visiting, or stating that u r 'landing' but returning back into the US imdtly... but remember, then u'd be 'denied' the PR card's application [mostly]..."

I'm within a driving distance to the border. I was hoping that I could "land" by driving my own car without having to import it yet, and having it as goods to follow, as I would need to return within a few days (after staying with friends) to finish things with my job, etc. Would you recommend perhaps driving a rental car in this case to avoid trouble in this case?

Thank you.

Ledoc

Mar 1, 2017
Hi,

I just want to confirm something. In the original sticky post, the following was mentioned at the top:
" It's another matter if u r just visiting, or stating that u r 'landing' but returning back into the US imdtly... but remember, then u'd be 'denied' the PR card's application [mostly]..."

I'm within a driving distance to the border. I was hoping that I could "land" by driving my own car without having to import it yet, and having it as goods to follow, as I would need to return within a few days (after staying with friends) to finish things with my job, etc. Would you recommend perhaps driving a rental car in this case to avoid trouble in this case?

Thank you.
same question here... anyone land with rental car?

Aaisha09

Apr 27, 2017
Hi,

Thank you.
Hello,

We’re in the same situation. We want to drive to Canada in our own car to do the landing process, stay there for a couple of days and then drive back. Would they allow us to do that or send us back? Or is it better to just rent a car in this case.

Thanks,
Aaisha

Movenorth19

Feb 1, 2019
I just bought a car in USA and will be moving to toronto after i get my PR approval. I will have to leave usa next week as my h1b Expires. I plan to do a soft landing by flying into toronto from India. I want to know:
1) If i can ship my car to buffalo border and drive it into canada without importing but adding it to my goods to follow.. If yes can i drive it without importing it for few months as my car still has a loan on it. I plan to pay off the car and transfer the lien in my name after few months.
Can i import the car after i pay off the loan after a few months.