+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing Stepdaughter from Mexico

amandal

May 21, 2015
Hello all,
I am a Canadian Citizen, born in Canada. My common-law spouse is a Temporary Foreign Worker, he has applied for permanent residence under Alberta Provincial Nominee Program. The application has been received and we are still awaiting (hopefully) approval. We are trying to figure out the process for bringing his 16 year old daughter to Canada from Mexico. I understand that we need a permission letter from her mother, which we already have. His adult son came to visit us last year and I wrote a letter of invitation and we purchased a return plane ticket to show that he intended to return to Mexico. Do I need to do this for the daughter? She is a dependent of my spouse so do we need to prove that she will not stay? I mean, do I need to purchase a return ticket? She is on the Permanent Resident application. Is she allowed to stay in Canada as long as my spouse is here? Does she apply for a study visa or visitor visa or what? I know this is a lot of questions and I have tried calling CIC to get this information but I have received confusing/conflicting information. Any advice you have is most welcome.
Thanks,
-Amanda

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
If she is only planning on coming for a visit for the summer, then a visitor visa would be what you would apply for. You can note that she is currently a dependent on her fathers application. I don't know if Dad listed her as accompanying or non accompanying. If it was non, sounds as if you may want to change that.

If the plan is to try to get her here early before visa is issued, she would need a study visa to attend school. I can only assume that because she is only 16 that she is still in school. She won't be allowed to attend school without paying 'tuition' until she is granted her PR visa and has officially landed.

Did the adult son return to Mexico as planned? If he did not, a 'letter of invitation' from you in order to enhance her visa chances will likely be ignored because the son has obviously overstayed his visa. Yes, they do have ways of finding this information out.

I hope I was able to answer at least some of your questions. Good luck.