Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
So I am getting my cat ready to move to Canada. It is a lot easier than when we moved to Hawaii! They have a six month quarantine but at least you can do it before you move with tons of documentations, vaccines and tests! $$$$

Anyway can anyone confirm I have this right?

Cat can fly in cabin with me. Air Canada already booked him on my flight.

At Customs he will be inspected (hope they don't want to take him out cause he is a huge chicken and gets mean) and I must show his rabies vaccination certificate and pay $30 or so. (Can I pay with a visa? I won't have Canadian cash)

That's it. Right?

I am getting him vaccinated (again) this week at Petco. Thanks!

qwertyko26

Mar 23, 2012
well from what i've read, you can bring it in the cabin as long as its a small cat, and can fit under your seat,
i do suggest you go with a soft carrier, instead of a hard cased 1 in case you need to compress it just a little bit :)

Also
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/live-animals/pet-imports/cats/eng/1331904105485/1331904720313

you only need anti-rabies vaccination for the cat (if its older than 3 months)
then basic info from a vet, age of the cat, Nationality ( just kidding - Breed of the cat)
and your set :)

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
First medical March 2011, REDO Medical July 30, 2012
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
and also i really dont think they will take your cat out of the kennel.
im about 90% sure they wont. all they need to see is the requested paperwork and updated shots and stuff.

good luck!! ;D

M

mrandmrsromero

LeisaP said:
and also i really dont think they will take your cat out of the kennel.
im about 90% sure they wont. all they need to see is the requested paperwork and updated shots and stuff.

good luck!! ;D
Actually, in my experience, yes they will. I was asked to take the cat out of the kennel and carry him through the metal detector on both Air Canada and West Jet. While I was going through security, the carrier went through the X-ray machine. My experience was my cat was so scared he just clung to me and when I walked through he practically ran back in the carrier. I definitely suggest using a soft bag lined with an absorbent towel "just in case". If you are travelling with another adult, have them go through ahead of you so they are waiting to help you put the cat in the carrier on the other side. I bought a sherpa bag and it fit perfectly down on the floor between my feet and under the seat.

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
qwertyko26 said:
well from what i've read, you can bring it in the cabin as long as its a small cat, and can fit under your seat,
i do suggest you go with a soft carrier, instead of a hard cased 1 in case you need to compress it just a little bit :)

Also
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/live-animals/pet-imports/cats/eng/1331904105485/1331904720313

you only need anti-rabies vaccination for the cat (if its older than 3 months)
then basic info from a vet, age of the cat, Nationality ( just kidding - Breed of the cat)
and your set :)
Ha ha. Thanks. Yeah I have a Sherpa Delta carrier that he has flown in before in-cabin. The worst part about traveling with him is taking him out of the carrier during crazy LAX (Los Angeles) security check. I have to leash and harness him and cover him with a blanket or put him in a pillow case. I don't want him to get freaked and loose in the airport - and he can really scratch me up when he is scared!

Thanks for the info.

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
mrandmrsromero said:
Actually, in my experience, yes they will. I was asked to take the cat out of the kennel and carry him through the metal detector on both Air Canada and West Jet. While I was going through security, the carrier went through the X-ray machine. My experience was my cat was so scared he just clung to me and when I walked through he practically ran back in the carrier. I definitely suggest using a soft bag lined with an absorbent towel "just in case". If you are travelling with another adult, have them go through ahead of you so they are waiting to help you put the cat in the carrier on the other side. I bought a sherpa bag and it fit perfectly down on the floor between my feet and under the seat.
wow really!!.
maybe they only do that when you take the animal in carry on.
we have transported our dog, but in the baggage compartment not carry on. with west jet and were never asked to take her out for inspection.
thats good to know! thanks! :)

bally21

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
Northern Ireland
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2012
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
17-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2012
LANDED..........
28-07-2012
I just brought my cat and 3 dogs into canada, 3 weeks ago today!

The animals had to come out of the crates while the crate was x-rayed in the airport.

Then during the customs inspection in Toronto, the lady didn't even look at the animals. She looked at their passports (we got the EU pet passports) and checked the rabies vaccine was up to date. It was $30 for the first animal, then $5 for the subsequent ones.

Note that if the animal isn't vaccinated against rabies, it's a $50 fee instead of $30.

My dogs and cat did so well and arrived very relaxed, even though they were all in the cargo hold! We flew Air transat.

Good luck!

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
mrandmrsromero said:
Yeah that is the hardest part which I already mentioned. I have done it before from Hawaii to California. He is not easy so I have to be really careful. It will only be me as my husband will have our toddler. I have a sherpa too. It comes with a fleece thing but I will put one of those puppy pads under it. Or on it. And bring a bag to dispose of any accidents. My other cat who passed away when I was pregnant :( would always poop when we traveled and that was not fun, lol.

This cat is well traveled. He has been on a ferry several times to get to the vet when I lived on a remote island, in cabin, in cargo, in cargo on SMALL plane, rental van, etc. I wanted to take him on the train just so I could say he's been on a plane, train and automobile.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093748/

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
bally21 said:

The animals had to come out of the crates while the crate was x-rayed in the airport.

Then during the customs inspection in Toronto, the lady didn't even look at the animals. She looked at their passports (we got the EU pet passports) and checked the rabies vaccine was up to date. It was $30 for the first animal, then $5 for the subsequent ones.

Note that if the animal isn't vaccinated against rabies, it's a $50 fee instead of $30.

My dogs and cat did so well and arrived very relaxed, even though they were all in the cargo hold! We flew Air transat.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info! Does the same person that stamps your passport check the cat or do you have to go to a separate place? My husband will be landing with me so we have that to worry about too.

I am glad your pets did so well! Cargo seems like it would be very scary.

bally21

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
Northern Ireland
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2012
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
17-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2012
LANDED..........
28-07-2012
canadiangirl78 said:
Thanks for the info! Does the same person that stamps your passport check the cat or do you have to go to a separate place? My husband will be landing with me so we have that to worry about too.

I am glad your pets did so well! Cargo seems like it would be very scary.
No what you do is on the landing card you tick that you are brining an animal into canada. Then at immigration they do your landing stuff and passport check. You then get your bags and then you go to customs who will look at the cat's documents.

I believe they do take card, we paid cash but I saw a debit machine at the paying window so you should be ok using your card!

Cargo was scary, especially when we were boarding and were told our pet's crates wouldn't fit through the plane door as they were too big (we had 3 giant dog crates) so that was pretty stressful but it all came right in the end. Here's a link to my blog detailing the process http://canadianbeaverlover.blogspot.ca/ I just got internet in our house so am coming back to update on my husband's dual intent entry and some other things!

M

mrandmrsromero

canadiangirl78 said:
Yeah that is the hardest part which I already mentioned. I have done it before from Hawaii to California. He is not easy so I have to be really careful. It will only be me as my husband will have our toddler. I have a sherpa too. It comes with a fleece thing but I will put one of those puppy pads under it. Or on it. And bring a bag to dispose of any accidents. My other cat who passed away when I was pregnant :( would always poop when we traveled and that was not fun, lol.

This cat is well traveled. He has been on a ferry several times to get to the vet when I lived on a remote island, in cabin, in cargo, in cargo on SMALL plane, rental van, etc. I wanted to take him on the train just so I could say he's been on a plane, train and automobile.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093748/
Yep, thank gawd for the fleece thingy! I'm sure you'll do just fine, especially since you already know how this particular cat reacts to travel :)

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
bally21 said:

Good luck!
good to know!!
thanks for that! we will be bringing some animals back to. so thats very useful! :)

M

mrandmrsromero

LeisaP said:
wow really!!.
maybe they only do that when you take the animal in carry on.
Yes, it is only when you are taking the animal as carry on (at least that's how it used to be for domestic flights, as far as I know). Let's just say I'm glad I'm not going to have to do it again anytime soon, although in the end I think I was far more stressed than the cat! :)

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
mrandmrsromero said:
Yes, it is only when you are taking the animal as carry on. Let's just say I'm glad I'm not going to have to do it again anytime soon, although in the end I think I was far more stressed than the cat! :)
haha tell me about it!
i think its equally or more stressful for the owners than the animals.
when we landed in puerto vallarta there was no place to pick up special baggage. they just dropped her kennel next to the baggage pick up. and we just happened to walk by and see her sitting in her kennel!!!
i was shocked that they didnt have a special place for pick up. they just out her with the other baggage!! lol. :eek: good thing noone tried to pick her up before we got to her.

M

mrandmrsromero

LeisaP said:
haha tell me about it!
i think its equally or more stressful for the owners than the animals.
when we landed in puerto vallarta there was no place to pick up special baggage. they just dropped her kennel next to the baggage pick up. and we just happened to walk by and see her sitting in her kennel!!!
i was shocked that they didnt have a special place for pick up. they just out her with the other baggage!! lol. :eek: good thing noone tried to pick her up before we got to her.
I'm lucky I've never had to do an international flight and my experiences with both cargo and carry on were good on domestic flights (especially with WestJet). When I flew the cat cargo, the cat did not have to come out of the carrier. That was a few years ago though, and I wouldn't be surprised if even on domestic flights the animal has to be removed for security screens for both cargo and carry on. Oh well, we do whatever we have to do for the 4-legged members of the family :)