+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing My Car With Me

cacouncill94

Mar 28, 2018
I read on an older forum that I have to have permission from my bank to import my car to Canada, is this still the case?

If so what am i going to need in order to not have any issues at the border?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You will need a clear title to import and register the car. I suspect that may be an issue if the bank still holds a lien on the vehicle. Apart from that, you will need to have any recalls completed and a letter from the manufacturer saying it has been done and you will need to make an appointment with CBP to export the car from the US. Once in Canada, it will need to conform with Canadian laws (daytime running light and metric instrumentation) so that needs to be done, along with a mechanical inspection.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles-importation-usa-index-445.htm

https://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx

cacouncill94

Mar 28, 2018
You will need a clear title to import and register the car. I suspect that may be an issue if the bank still holds a lien on the vehicle. Apart from that, you will need to have any recalls completed and a letter from the manufacturer saying it has been done and you will need to make an appointment with CBP to export the car from the US. Once in Canada, it will need to conform with Canadian laws (daytime running light and metric instrumentation) so that needs to be done, along with a mechanical inspection.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles-importation-usa-index-445.htm

https://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx

What if there havent been any recalls? The bank is sending me an electronics copy of the title and lien, and i am getting a letter from them saying they are allowing me to export it to Canada, where do i schedule an appointment with CBP?

vijay_r_leo

Aug 28, 2018
What if there havent been any recalls? The bank is sending me an electronics copy of the title and lien, and i am getting a letter from them saying they are allowing me to export it to Canada, where do i schedule an appointment with CBP?
If I understood your response correctly you had a US car with loan and title on banks name. Then with some docs you were able to take your car to canada and register there in ontario ? Did you ship through a company or drive on your own ?

Please let me know what process you followed so that I too can follow the same coz my situation is similar to yours in that I have got 2 cars here both under loan and the car values have gone down pretty bad. I can try at least sell off one car and get my Nissan Versa SV 2014 to toronto.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If I understood your response correctly you had a US car with loan and title on banks name. Then with some docs you were able to take your car to canada and register there in ontario ? Did you ship through a company or drive on your own ?

Please let me know what process you followed so that I too can follow the same coz my situation is similar to yours in that I have got 2 cars here both under loan and the car values have gone down pretty bad. I can try at least sell off one car and get my Nissan Versa SV 2014 to toronto.
The key thing is the letter from your lender/bank authorizing the car to be exported. You'll need to speak with your lender to find out if they are willing to give you such a letter. It seems many lenders aren't willing to let leased vehicles leave the country.

vijay_r_leo

Aug 28, 2018
Here is the response from one of the car shipping companies. I will be relocating to Toronto, ON, CA during first week of Jan 2019 on a 2 yr work permit (intra company transfer).

1. What's this temporary import of personal vehicles ?

2. It says we can't sell the car there in Canada so we might have to bring it back to US either getting an visitor US visa or if my employer brings me back to USA after 1 year of mandatory cool off period required for fresh L1B visa. When we do this is it an export from Canada to USA ?

3. What are the things I need to get modified on Nissan Versa SV 2014 to comply with Canada ? Do we need to get it done here in US or can those be done in Canada ?

4. As of now the KBB value of my car is showing up only around 5k USD whereas the loan balance is around 8k USD. But the car was new when I bought and it's just having 36k miles on it hence planning to get this car over to Canada. I saw the kijiji ads for used cars and other sites but the cars even with very high mileage are getting quoted so high.

5. With all these costs (Loan payoff + conversions required + transportation + registration and other formalities in Canada) involved is it really worth bringing this car from US to Canada based on your experiences ? Approx may be I will end up paying 11k USD !!!

6. If my lender is ok for me to transport my car to Canada what are the things I would be need to ship the car via car shippers ? Will there be any problems at the receiving end (Canada) based on your experiences for the cars imported this way ?
I see you already shared :
a) The NOC letter from lender is required
b) Soft copy of title with Lien information
c) US Auto insurance ???

Relocation is a real pain when you have owned a new built house here in US, have 2 cars and all your expensive possessions accrued over a period which can't be sold for what so ever reason. So trying to find the least loss route and trying to bring at least 1 car and whatever can fit into the upack trailer (as you all have shared on other threads).

Thanks a lot in advance.

Discounted shipping rate: $1,250.00
Shipping method: Door to Terminal
Ship to terminal: Stream Toronto Warehouse, Mississauga, ON

Prices are quoted in US dollars. Canada Customs allows for the temporary importation of personal vehicles by individuals who are on work or student visas in Canada. These vehicles are to be used by the individuals for their personal transportation. These vehicles cannot be sold in Canada and must be returned back to the USA.

Canada Customs requires the vehicle to be cleared in person by the individual on the work or student visa. To facilitate your personal clearance of the vehicle, we can ship your vehicle to a bonded warehouse near to your home. These warehouses are independent facilities and do charge fees that may vary from warehouse to warehouse but generally range between C$100 - C$200.

Transit time varies on the shipping distance. The delivery time for your transport is normally 8-10 days from pick-up. For most areas, we can arrange the pick up of your vehicle with very short notice.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since you are relocating to Toronto, your vehicle must comply with the requirement of the province of Ontario (For example, PEI might not work).