+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing a pet dog to Canada - tips

barkca

Aug 30, 2014
Hi! I am also bringing my 11 year old dog. It says on website that dog must be in good health. Hiwever, my dog has kidney disease and heart issues although these are addeessed by maintenance meds and he us doing well. I was wondering if yours had no illnesses that come with ahe andDif you think my dog's health conditions will be an issue. Did they actually do a physical on your dog or just looked at him/her?

Thanks

steaky said:
I recently brought my 11 years old to Vancouver and the following was my experience:

1) Check this website with regards to the Canadian importing requirem
2) Check the relevant website of the home country for exporting the animal
3) Check possible land, sea and air transportation for the animal. As I am from China, the most economically way is by personally traveling the animal by air. Using a commercial transportation company will cost me ten times more.
4) Check with airlines whether the pet animal can be accepted to fly.
5) After knowing what document is required in step 1, go to your vet to gather those document.
6) Buy a suitable crate from pet shops, internet or other sources.
7) If you think your dog would be stressed and anxious in taking a long flight, try "DAP natural spray". You can also try "Bach's pet rescue remedy".
8 ) Talk to the airline, buy yourself a plane ticket and inform them that you would travel with your pet dog.
9) At date of departure, make sure you put some ice cubes and pet food in the feeding tray.
10) When you and your pet arrives at the airport, be sure to declare it at the customs. You will be asked to go to the agriculture department after collecting your pet and other checked luggage. At the agri counter, you will be asked to provide the vaccination and health document of your pet and questions like number of years you owned it. After the officer examine the pet, you would be directed to pay the examine fee (CAD30 + tax) at the nearby cashier.

MaryL

Apr 24, 2014
Land of Living Skies
Visa Office......
Rabat
App. Filed.......
30-10-14
AOR Received.
22-01-15
File Transfer...
27-01-15
Med's Done....
28-08-14 Redone 25-07-17
Interview........
21-05-15 DM 10-08-17
Passport Req..
05-10-17
VISA ISSUED...
11-10-17
LANDED..........
14-10-17
I am currently looking into the same requirements for bringing our kitten over. He's about 6 mos old. I plan for my husband to fly Air Canada from Morocco to Montreal to Toronto to Saskatchewan. So far I see Sizar the kitten needs a rabies shot and perhaps a medical. He will be flying in cabin with my husband. And the fee of course. Sounds like about $100.00 Has anyone had any recent experience importing a cat?
Air Canada gave me all the same information as their website. But also suggested I contact the Canadian Embassy. So that's what I am working on atm.

Ayeshaazhar

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
Hi guys, we're going to canada from london via air canada with a cat and a dog in december. Although I am aware of the process at this end (UK) contacting DEFRA vaccinations etc,i am not so clear about the procedure once we reach toronto. I read somewhere that we have to call beforehand and book an appointment for the food and agriculture department to inspect the pets? Does anyone know what arrangements are required for landing at toronto? Latest figures on waiting times and what the process involves, fees, tips etc would be appreciated..

Amitlhasa

Mar 29, 2018
Hi all,
I have a Lhasa Apso ( 2 years old). I want to import him to Regina from India. Most of the airlines do not accept snub nose dogs breed. I am running out of options on how to get him to Canada. I love him a lot just like anyone of us does. Please hell me with a solution

Regards
Amit

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,
I have a Lhasa Apso ( 2 years old). I want to import him to Regina from India. Most of the airlines do not accept snub nose dogs breed. I am running out of options on how to get him to Canada. I love him a lot just like anyone of us does. Please hell me with a solution

Regards
Amit
You might want to check with United:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/animals/restrictions.html#tcm:76-6661

It appears you just need a bigger crate and ventilation on 4 sides.

Otherwise, air cargo can also be considered.

arthurbr

Dec 6, 2017
Toronto
Hi all,

Regards
Amit
Try with Air Canada.

arthurbr

Dec 6, 2017
Toronto
Do you realize there are certain breed and heat restriction with Air Canada? OP is bringing a Lhasa Apso.
Yeah, but Air Canada accepts them if you take them in the cabin with you. The problem will be if he has to dispatch the dog along with his luggage.

Catpaws14

Star Member
Sep 3, 2017
Hello! Would the vaccination booklet / pet passport enough as proof of rabies vaccination? Since it has date of administer, expiry, name of doctor/clinic and stamp? I've asked two local vet from where I lived, and both said they don't require it because my cats already has a pet passport?