+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing a pet dog to Canada - tips

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I recently brought my 11 years old to Vancouver and the following was my experience:

1) Check this website with regards to the Canadian importing requirement: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/imp/petani/petanie.shtml
2) Check the relevant website of the home country for exporting the animal
3) Check possible land, sea and air transportation for the animal. As I am from China, the most economically way is by personally traveling the animal by air. Using a commercial transportation company will cost me ten times more.
4) Check with airlines whether the pet animal can be accepted to fly.
5) After knowing what document is required in step 1, go to your vet to gather those document.
6) Buy a suitable crate from pet shops, internet or other sources.
7) If you think your dog would be stressed and anxious in taking a long flight, try "DAP natural spray". You can also try "Bach's pet rescue remedy".
8 ) Talk to the airline, buy yourself a plane ticket and inform them that you would travel with your pet dog.
9) At date of departure, make sure you put some ice cubes and pet food in the feeding tray.
10) When you and your pet arrives at the airport, be sure to declare it at the customs. You will be asked to go to the agriculture department after collecting your pet and other checked luggage. At the agri counter, you will be asked to provide the vaccination and health document of your pet and questions like number of years you owned it. After the officer examine the pet, you would be directed to pay the examine fee (CAD30 + tax) at the nearby cashier.

bally21

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
Northern Ireland
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2012
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
17-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2012
LANDED..........
28-07-2012
That is helpful thanks! We have our 3 dogs and cat booked onto the same flight as us, arriving into Toronto.

Did the vet in Vancouver airport take the dog out and inspect him/her or did they just have a look at your documents?

How long did it all take?

Thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, there was no vet. Just a CFIA officer check the dog, read and photocopy my documents. Make payment to the cashier. The whole thing including queuing took us about 45 minutes.

bally21

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
Northern Ireland
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2012
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
17-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2012
LANDED..........
28-07-2012
Great to know, thanks!

melvaughn

Jan 17, 2015
Is this topic still active.

I also live in China in Hefei (3 hours outside of SHanghai) and I need to fly my kitten to Toronto. Do I need to be in Shanghai only to fly her home or can I fly her from other cities as long as I'm on the same airline? What about layovers and switching flights? It's my impression that I can only fly her from Shaghahi.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
melvaughn said:
Is this topic still active.

I also live in China in Hefei (3 hours outside of SHanghai) and I need to fly my kitten to Toronto. Do I need to be in Shanghai only to fly her home or can I fly her from other cities as long as I'm on the same airline? What about layovers and switching flights? It's my impression that I can only fly her from Shaghahi.
I think you need to fly with Air Canada - I don't think China Eastern have a pet policy. You probably should contact the airlines.

ninakap30

Apr 4, 2014
istanbul
Category........
Visa Office......
ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
20-8-2014
Med's Done....
12-6-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-11-2014
Guys I have a doggy too and next month we move to Canada,as far as I saw Canada wants the dog vaccinated against the rabbies,I went to the veterinary yesterday saying to me that the doggys vaccination is on her international passport so there is no reason to write a report for this,do you think this would be enough?do we also need a healthy certification ?including what?that the dog can travel?or something else?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ninakap30 said:
Guys I have a doggy too and next month we move to Canada,as far as I saw Canada wants the dog vaccinated against the rabbies,I went to the veterinary yesterday saying to me that the doggys vaccination is on her international passport so there is no reason to write a report for this,do you think this would be enough?do we also need a healthy certification ?including what?that the dog can travel?or something else?
You should also check with the airlines whether they need the health certificate or other document.

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ninakap30 said:
To add to what Steaky has written-

Airlines would ask to see the original (and 2 photocopies) of "Rabies vaccination completed" issued by the department of government that deals with it. In our case, I had called up Lufthansa (India) and they wanted a "Rabies Vaccination completed" certificate and a Health/Fitnes Certificate issued only by the Government's Quarantine Department.
To get this, I had to show the (Indian) Quarantine department my Dog's pet passport (with all the vaccinations stickers/dates) and they issued the above certificates.

Also, like what Steaky had mentioned, check with different airlines if they would allow your dog to travel in the same flight as you (in the cargo hold). To give an example- Lufthansa allowed this, but British Airways said pets would be allowed only in cargo flights. Also- ensure that they allow the pet to be checked in all the way. (Ideally the same airlines all the way).

If you need further assistance with the health/vaccination certificate, message me your email id. I will try and send you my dog's vaccination certificate for you to use as a reference. (Although I am sure every country's animal/quarantine department have their own formats).

ninakap30

Apr 4, 2014
istanbul
Category........
Visa Office......
ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
20-8-2014
Med's Done....
12-6-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-11-2014
wolfpack27616 said:
To add to what Steaky has written-

Airlines would ask to see the original (and 2 photocopies) of "Rabies vaccination completed" issued by the department of government that deals with it. In our case, I had called up Lufthansa (India) and they wanted a "Rabies Vaccination completed" certificate and a Health/Fitnes Certificate issued only by the Government's Quarantine Department.
To get this, I had to show the (Indian) Quarantine department my Dog's pet passport (with all the vaccinations stickers/dates) and they issued the above certificates.

Also, like what Steaky had mentioned, check with different airlines if they would allow your dog to travel in the same flight as you (in the cargo hold). To give an example- Lufthansa allowed this, but British Airways said pets would be allowed only in cargo flights. Also- ensure that they allow the pet to be checked in all the way. (Ideally the same airlines all the way).

If you need further assistance with the health/vaccination certificate, message me your email id. I will try and send you my dog's vaccination certificate for you to use as a reference. (Although I am sure every country's animal/quarantine department have their own formats).
hello thanks a lot...this is my situation:we will fly from Greece to Toronto through the Turkish airlines,we will stay 2days in Toronto and later we will fly to Calgary through aircanada or west jet
THY wants microchip,vaccination against rabbies and the passport of the dog...the rabbies are on the passport...Canada as far as I saw even if there is no rabbies vaccination accepts pets...i have read many things and I am really mixed :( does someone known what aircanada needs?

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello thanks a lot...this is my situation:we will fly from Greece to Toronto through the Turkish airlines,we will stay 2days in Toronto and later we will fly to Calgary through aircanada or west jet
THY wants microchip,vaccination against rabbies and the passport of the dog...the rabbies are on the passport...Canada as far as I saw even if there is no rabbies vaccination accepts pets...i have read many things and I am really mixed Sad does someone known what aircanada needs?

1. THY (I assume that is Turkish Airlines) had asked for Rabies vaccination certificate? Did you tell them that your pet passport contains the vaccination info? If they still insist on it- you would have to approach your vet and get a certificate in the format that I am pasting in point#2

2. I am pasting the following info from Canadian Government agency (CFIA) websiteDogs may enter Canada if they are accompanied by a rabies vaccination certificate.

Rabies Vaccination Certificate
The European Union pet passport is an acceptable alternative to the rabies vaccination certificate as long as all the required elements outlined below are included.

The rabies vaccination certificate must:
be written in English or French;
be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian;
identify the animal (breed, sex, colour, and weight);
state that the animal is vaccinated against rabies;
indicate the date of vaccination;
indicate the trade name and the serial number of the licensed vaccine; and
specify the duration of immunity (otherwise, it will be considered valid for one year from the date of vaccination).
Animals That Do Not Meet Canadian Rabies Import Requirements
If a dog does not meet the Canadian rabies import requirements, owners will be required, at their own expense, to:

have the animal vaccinated against rabies within a specified period of time; and
provide the vaccination record to a Canadian Food Inspection Agency office.

As you can see- Canada would accept your pet's EU pet passport as long as all the info is mentioned in it.

But Turkish airlines would have their own requirement and might still ask you for a Vaccination certificate. Please call them and check with them. In case they insist on it, get it with the above details from your vet.

Other things that you might want to check

3. Have you considered flying direct from Greece to Calgary (if there is an option). That would mean less stress for your pet.

4. Before you book your tickets, call and check with the airlines (Turkish Airlines as well as Air Canada) if that flight has vacancies for a pet dog to travel in the cargo hold of the flight. From what I understand there are only 2-3 pet dogs allowed to travel per flight. So don't book your tickets without confirming about the availability.

5. Also some airlines might not allow pet transport during certain times of the year (Holiday season, peak winter etc). Please call your airlines (again both Turkish and Air Canada) to check whether any such travel restrictions are there during your intended period of travel.

6. What breed is your dog? Please do note that some airlines don't allow certain breeds of dogs to travel. Please check that as well.

Reactions: Catpaws14

ninakap30

Apr 4, 2014
istanbul
Category........
Visa Office......
ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
20-8-2014
Med's Done....
12-6-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-11-2014
wolfpack27616 said:
THY wants microchip,vaccination against rabbies and the passport of the dog...the rabbies are on the passport...Canada as far as I saw even if there is no rabbies vaccination accepts pets...i have read many things and I am really mixed Sad does someone known what aircanada needs?

1. THY (I assume that is Turkish Airlines) had asked for Rabies vaccination certificate? Did you tell them that your pet passport contains the vaccination info? If they still insist on it- you would have to approach your vet and get a certificate in the format that I am pasting in point#2

2. I am pasting the following info from Canadian Government agency (CFIA) websiteDogs may enter Canada if they are accompanied by a rabies vaccination certificate.

Rabies Vaccination Certificate
The European Union pet passport is an acceptable alternative to the rabies vaccination certificate as long as all the required elements outlined below are included.

The rabies vaccination certificate must:
be written in English or French;
be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian;
identify the animal (breed, sex, colour, and weight);
state that the animal is vaccinated against rabies;
indicate the date of vaccination;
indicate the trade name and the serial number of the licensed vaccine; and
specify the duration of immunity (otherwise, it will be considered valid for one year from the date of vaccination).
Animals That Do Not Meet Canadian Rabies Import Requirements
If a dog does not meet the Canadian rabies import requirements, owners will be required, at their own expense, to:

have the animal vaccinated against rabies within a specified period of time; and
provide the vaccination record to a Canadian Food Inspection Agency office.

As you can see- Canada would accept your pet's EU pet passport as long as all the info is mentioned in it.

But Turkish airlines would have their own requirement and might still ask you for a Vaccination certificate. Please call them and check with them. In case they insist on it, get it with the above details from your vet.

Other things that you might want to check

3. Have you considered flying direct from Greece to Calgary (if there is an option). That would mean less stress for your pet.

4. Before you book your tickets, call and check with the airlines (Turkish Airlines as well as Air Canada) if that flight has vacancies for a pet dog to travel in the cargo hold of the flight. From what I understand there are only 2-3 pet dogs allowed to travel per flight. So don't book your tickets without confirming about the availability.

5. Also some airlines might not allow pet transport during certain times of the year (Holiday season, peak winter etc). Please call your airlines (again both Turkish and Air Canada) to check whether any such travel restrictions are there during your intended period of travel.

6. What breed is your dog? Please do note that some airlines don't allow certain breeds of dogs to travel. Please check that as well.
hello ;)I have already contact the Turkish airlines,everything is clear,I have all the docs and the microchip,the only that makes me worried is what aircanada can ask for...obviously a vets certificate written in English would be enough such as a vaccination against rabbies...which is already in the doggys passport(international passport).what i have come to believe is that aircanada asks nothing more than the canadian state asks,just rabbies and health certificate...

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Air Canada would be between Toronto and Calgary right? By which time your pet would have landed with you (and would have been inspected and cleared by CBSA at Toronto). So (that inspection document along with )the Rabies Vaccination and Health certification is all that would be required by Air Canada.
Do call up Air Canada's number and check about the pet travel though- like i pointed in my previous post, to ensure that it's not a restricted travel period and/or there's availability for your pet in the flight.

Good luck!

ninakap30

Apr 4, 2014
istanbul
Category........
Visa Office......
ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
20-8-2014
Med's Done....
12-6-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-11-2014
wolfpack27616 said:
Air Canada would be between Toronto and Calgary right? By which time your pet would have landed with you (and would have been inspected and cleared by CBSA at Toronto). So (that inspection document along with )the Rabies Vaccination and Health certification is all that would be required by Air Canada.
Do call up Air Canada's number and check about the pet travel though- like i pointed in my previous post, to ensure that it's not a restricted travel period and/or there's availability for your pet in the flight.

Good luck!
thanks a lot,by the way arriving to Canada do I have?(I think yes)to declare in some forms that I bring with me a dog?I saw in the form B4 is not something relevant in used...do you have any idea which is the document?

mooer

Mar 6, 2014
Victoria, BC
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-03-14
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
11-09-2014
Med's Done....
16-09-2014
Passport Req..
Visa exempt - RPRF 06-11-14
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 26-01-15
LANDED..........
01-02-15
ninakap30 said:
thanks a lot,by the way arriving to Canada do I have?(I think yes)to declare in some forms that I bring with me a dog?I saw in the form B4 is not something relevant in used...do you have any idea which is the document?
Hi. We came from the UK with our dog 2 years ago and it was quite easy. We needed an DEFRA export health certificate (ring DEFRA and they will send one to your vets office), he needed to be up to date with his vaccinations and he had a rabies jab. We knew he did not necessarily need the rabies jab but thought it would just be easier all round if we did it. I think it had to be done within 2 weeks of travel though - I can't remember exactly.

Regards the actual trip, we simply booked him onto our Air Canada flight with us. We checked him in at oversize baggage (where you would take skis, golf clubs, buggies etc) in a crate (has to be certain size/specification for each airline) and collected him at the other end. We then had to go through the Agriculture desk at Vancouver airport and pay the inspection fee ($35 IIRC) and we were good to go.

I would advise looking on the CBSA website to see if you can find up to date info there and also contact the airline you will be flying with.

Hope this help
Amanda