+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging Open Work Permit Refused

ray_dave

Oct 14, 2014
I had applied for PR under CEC program. My open work permit was about to expire. So also applied for BOWP. the following happened

PR Application: 14 July 2014
BOWP Application: 17 July 2014
Work Permit Expiry: 18 July 2014

BOWP Rejection: 03 Sept 2014
AOR: 17 Sept 2014

I had no option to file PR under CEC earlier as my 1 year completion was at 10th July 2014

Is there any way around to restore my worker status and resume doing my job?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If your employer can obtain an approved LMIA then you can apply to restore your work permit and start working again once the new work permit is approved. Note that you only have 90 days to apply.

karyl

Apr 21, 2010
Did you apply for BOWP without AOR? And were on open work permit before? Did they say the reason for refusal? Because i think the reason they refused it is because you are not yet initially approved (in principle) with your PR since you didn't have your AOR at that time.

You can re apply for BOWP since you received your AOR already. Plus, you will have to restore your status because you are applying after the expiration of your current work permit.

susana

Nov 4, 2008
karyl said:
Did you apply for BOWP without AOR? And were on open work permit before? Did they say the reason for refusal? Because i think the reason they refused it is because you are not yet initially approved (in principle) with your PR since you didn't have your AOR at that time.

You can re apply for BOWP since you received your AOR already. Plus, you will have to restore your status because you are applying after the expiration of your current work permit.

Not true...he is not elegible for the bridging open work permit as he is out of status.

kj1225

Aug 22, 2014
karyl said:

Karyl

if my status is in restoration (Work Permit Expired) Can I apply for a BOWP directly or do I have to apply for a restoration to a work permit first before I can apply for BWOP?

Thank You

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kj1225 said:
if my status is in restoration (Work Permit Expired) Can I apply for a BOWP directly or do I have to apply for a restoration to a work permit first before I can apply for BWOP?
As said above, you no longer qualify for a BOWP because you are out of status. At this point, you need to either restore your status as a visitor or leave Canada. If your employer obtains an LMIA, you can then apply for a closed work permit.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kj1225 said:
Once I restore my status to Visitor am I able to then apply for a BOWP?
No. To qualify for a BOWP, you must have a valid work permit that is expiring within 4 months.