+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging Open Work Permit for Self-Employed Artist?

annette_b

Oct 10, 2018
Hi there,
I am currently on my last year for post-graduate work permit and am getting ready to apply for PR under the self-employed artist class. I got my Ph.D. in music composition, am practicing in the field and also have a teaching contract at the University here in Victoria. Sadly, the processing times for PR in that class jumped from 62 days (a couple months ago) to 24 months. My current post-graduate work permit will expire in the meantime. I learned that a friend, who also got her PR as self-employed artist, applied for an open work permit after sending off her PR application and said she was hoping to be able to stay and work while waiting for PR. Her open work permit was granted. I cannot find any information on this. The only thing that could come close to this might be the bridging open work permit, but it clearly states that you need to have applied for PR under any of the express entry classes, but not as self-employed artist. Does anyone have an idea what my options are in order to stay here and be able to work until I hear back about PR?