Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hello Everyone,
I have a bit complicated case here.
My work permit expired in July.
Before expiry, I did file for a work permit extension and waiting for a decision on it.

Now I have my ITA and received AOR.
I want to file for a BOWP, but when I try to do it online, the system doesn't allow me as it says I am already past 90days from the date of the expiry of my work permit.
How do I tell the system that I am already on an implied status and waiting for a decision?

I was informed that I can still file for BOWP before a decision on the WP extension is out.

Please advise.

sethtammy

Star Member
May 16, 2019
Check it out: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html

I'm not sure whether you are eligible for BOWP because you applied for this BEFORE you got iTA and AoR. Based on my knowledge learnt from IRCC's website, BOWP is for you if:
  • you applied for permanent residence
  • your current work permit expires in 4 months or less
  • you have valid status on your work permit
  • you are currently in Canada
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

csadangi

Jul 1, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-07-2019
Doc's Request.
Additional documents submitted upfront on 16-08-19
AOR Received.
17-07-2019
IELTS Request
Jan-2019
Med's Done....
16-08-2019
Hello Everyone,
Before expiry, I did file for a work permit extension and waiting for a decision on it.

I want to file for a BOWP, but when I try to do it online, the system doesn't allow me as it says I am already past 90days from the date of the expiry of my work permit.
How do I tell the system that I am already on an implied status and waiting for a decision?

I was informed that I can still file for BOWP before a decision on the WP extension is out.

Please advise.

If you are on implied status you cannot apply for BOWP as your WP has expired and you haven’t received your new WP and neither your new WP will not expire within the next 4 months.

aminilay

Oct 3, 2019
Hello Everyone,

Please advise.
DO CSE (case specific inquiry and sent your AOR for work permit application file using web form)...There might be hope

taher.bayadwala

Oct 5, 2019
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
DO CSE (case specific inquiry and sent your AOR for work permit application file using web form)...There might be hope
when I open the web form, what option do I need to select as there is no option for work permit in the drop down.

hgunawa

Jan 8, 2017
You can always apply a paper based bowp application. It will take longer to be processed but you will be able to at least go around the loop of the expired wp being an issue with the submission for bowp.

nom87

Dec 6, 2019
No worries. Thank you for the suggestion.

I did get my work permit approval for another one year :)

Thanks for all the help everyone
Hello, I am on the same boat. I applied for an extension on my Post graduate open work permit in Aug which also expired in Aug, received ITA and AOR in Dec. I applied by paper so my work permit application has not been processed yet. My lawyer has updated my work permit extension with the AOR. He said it is now depends on luck. Reading about your case gives me hope!

Reactions: taher.bayadwala

taher.bayadwala

Oct 5, 2019
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hello, I am on the same boat. I applied for an extension on my Post graduate open work permit in Aug which also expired in Aug, received ITA and AOR in Dec. I applied by paper so my work permit application has not been processed yet. My lawyer has updated my work permit extension with the AOR. He said it is now depends on luck. Reading about your case gives me hope!
I wish you all the best. :)

Jan 7, 2020
I wish you all the best. :)
Hi taher.bayadwala. My PGWP is expiring soon and will be on the same boat that you were on. If you don't mind, can you share what you wrote for the letter of explanation when you applied for BOWP without ITA and AOR? Your experience gave me hope ! Thank you for your help in advance :)

Jan 7, 2020
any updates? I wish you got BOWP approved as well!

taher.bayadwala

Oct 5, 2019
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hi taher.bayadwala. My PGWP is expiring soon and will be on the same boat that you were on. If you don't mind, can you share what you wrote for the letter of explanation when you applied for BOWP without ITA and AOR? Your experience gave me hope ! Thank you for your help in advance :)
Hello happiness.hope,
I hope this will be helpful to you.

I never applied for BOWP.
What I did was,
-Applied for a work permit extension.
-Put my PR application. Received ITA
-Uploaded the documents and got AOR.

Once I received my AOR, I raised a webform informing IRCC about the updates.
I sent them the AOR and my application number (both for work permit extension and express entry)

Applied for work permit extension in July, got approval in November.

Jan 7, 2020
Hello happiness.hope,
I hope this will be helpful to you.

I never applied for BOWP.
What I did was,
-Applied for a work permit extension.
-Put my PR application. Received ITA
-Uploaded the documents and got AOR.

Once I received my AOR, I raised a webform informing IRCC about the updates.
I sent them the AOR and my application number (both for work permit extension and express entry)

Applied for work permit extension in July, got approval in November.
Thank you for the detailed info!
Did you write a letter explaining that you will update AOR when you first applied for the work permit extension without ITA?
Or did you just submit the extension documents without any letter of explanation about what you will be doing?

taher.bayadwala

Oct 5, 2019
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Thank you for the detailed info!
Did you write a letter explaining that you will update AOR when you first applied for the work permit extension without ITA?
Or did you just submit the extension documents without any letter of explanation about what you will be doing?
Yes, so I just did the normal procedure. Later as I progressed, I kept updating.