+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Brexit. Will it increase applicants to Canada?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If anything it may make it very difficult for anyone to move from the UK financially with a 10-15 percent drop in the pound to the dollar.

dtoc

Jun 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-01-2016
AOR Received.
12-01-2016
Med's Done....
24-01-2016
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2016
LANDED..........
23-08-2016
Good question, very difficult to answer.

Me, being Dutch (from the Netherlands for those that are not familiar with the term ;D) I hate to see Britain leave the EU.
What we are all struggling with here, immigration, is one thing that is going to change drastically for the citizens in the EU if they wish to make a move to Britain, or the British the other way around. Free travelling rights for citizens on both ends will probably be gone. Want to plan a trip? Better start on applying for the Visa. You can bet that the French will abide by the coming new rules just as strict as the British will.

Economically, a Brexit may also have a very large impact. I work for a company that does a lot of work around the British isles and I wonder what will happen in the future. These contracts will be under different regulations and this Brexit may introduce large differences which impact companies like the one I work for. The same applies here for companies in Britain that do work on the Mainland in Europe. How this will affect the economic growth of the EU or Britain is very difficult to tell but what I have read is that the opinions converge to a shrinking economy or at least a stagnant one. There is no growth predicted. I also must say that I haven't read too much on this, but it makes sense. There are undoubtedly those that claim this is not true and both economies or at least the British one will flourish, but I have not read those.

What I see happening in the future is that Scotland (that desperately wants/wanted to stay in the EU) will want to gain its independence from the UK and it then join the EU, taking with it a lot of oil and (whiskey). I think that this will be a major hit to Britain.
If this happens, Britain will scratch its (probably almost bald by then ;)) head and wonder if it made a wrong decision. If they would want to return to the EU, they would never again have the status they had when they were still in.

This is just an opinion from a simple Dutch guy that describes a possible outcome of this Brexit. Will it become reality? Perhaps. But there are so many possible scenarios that the likelihood becomes small.

If it will increase immigration to Canada? I am not sure how many applicants from Britain are applying for any kind of residence Visa for Canada now. But I can imagine since immigration to Europe may also become more difficult, why not try the country we all want to move to right? So I guess it is possible.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Possibly Yes it will increase more applicants from UK and EU.

wolter88

Apr 27, 2015
dtoc said:
Good question, very difficult to answer.

Me, being Dutch (from the Netherlands for those that are not familiar with the term ;D) I hate to see Britain leave the EU.
What we are all struggling with here, immigration, is one thing that is going to change drastically for the citizens in the EU if they wish to make a move to Britain, or the British the other way around. Free travelling rights for citizens on both ends will probably be gone. Want to plan a trip? Better start on applying for the Visa. You can bet that the French will abide by the coming new rules just as strict as the British will.

Economically, a Brexit may also have a very large impact. I work for a company that does a lot of work around the British isles and I wonder what will happen in the future. These contracts will be under different regulations and this Brexit may introduce large differences which impact companies like the one I work for. The same applies here for companies in Britain that do work on the Mainland in Europe. How this will affect the economic growth of the EU or Britain is very difficult to tell but what I have read is that the opinions converge to a shrinking economy or at least a stagnant one. There is no growth predicted. I also must say that I haven't read too much on this, but it makes sense. There are undoubtedly those that claim this is not true and both economies or at least the British one will flourish, but I have not read those.

What I see happening in the future is that Scotland (that desperately wants/wanted to stay in the EU) will want to gain its independence from the UK and it then join the EU, taking with it a lot of oil and (whiskey). I think that this will be a major hit to Britain.
If this happens, Britain will scratch its (probably almost bald by then ;)) head and wonder if it made a wrong decision. If they would want to return to the EU, they would never again have the status they had when they were still in.

This is just an opinion from a simple Dutch guy that describes a possible outcome of this Brexit. Will it become reality? Perhaps. But there are so many possible scenarios that the likelihood becomes small.

If it will increase immigration to Canada? I am not sure how many applicants from Britain are applying for any kind of residence Visa for Canada now. But I can imagine since immigration to Europe may also become more difficult, why not try the country we all want to move to right? So I guess it is possible.
Offtopic!

Another dutchie here! Lol congrats on your ppr. What province are you moving to?

CanBC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
deadbird said:
Brexit. Will it increase applicants to Canada?

Open discussion.
Yes especially from young people.
The IEC permits are already over-subscribed for the UK so there will be much more competition.

For PR I don't know. Australia is always a bigger destination...

dtoc

Jun 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-01-2016
AOR Received.
12-01-2016
Med's Done....
24-01-2016
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2016
LANDED..........
23-08-2016
Thanks Wolter! Good to see other Dutch people as well. I thought for a moment I was the only one.

I plan to move to BC. Perhaps move east if jobs are slow. So BC, AB, SK, well you get it I guess hahaha. But since Vancouver has the largest harbour in Canada I think I will be good there.

What's your story? Send me a PM please, I don't want to pollute this topic. :D

ponyboy85

Jun 27, 2016
Moving to Canada is an idea I have played with for about 4 years now because I love nature and wilderness. Me and my wife are now very serious about the possibility of moving since the EU referendum.

I don't recognise the UK anymore and don't really want to be part of it.

Spielo

Star Member
May 21, 2016
ponyboy85 said:
Moving to Canada is an idea I have played with for about 4 years now because I love nature and wilderness. Me and my wife are now very serious about the possibility of moving since the EU referendum.

I don't recognise the UK anymore and don't really want to be part of it.
Same here. I submitted my PR application back in April. My reasons for wanting to leave the UK then were different to what they are now, but I feel utterly ashamed to be British right now and I can't wait to see the back of this hateful place.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
Spielo said:
Same here. I submitted my PR application back in April. My reasons for wanting to leave the UK then were different to what they are now, but I feel utterly ashamed to be British right now and I can't wait to see the back of this hateful place.
Is it true that the main driving force behind Brexit was fear of immigrants? If so what prevents Canada or Australia from heading in the same direction.

dell2

Feb 3, 2011
Calgary, Alberta.
deadbird said:
Is it true that the main driving force behind Brexit was fear of immigrants? If so what prevents Canada or Australia from heading in the same direction.
I think it was more of Refugee migration which took place recently. Brexit

one thing our Brit friends are shocked about is that they've to give IELTS test as well. :D

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Soon Canada also will stop giving direct PRs?

dell2

Feb 3, 2011
Calgary, Alberta.
ttrajan said:
Soon Canada also will stop giving direct PRs?
I don't think so, even though it is everyone's Plan B country and lifeboat.
They might toughen little bit of rules sometime in future but not soon since they already have express entry which looks to be working fairly well. It will get even better after clearing up old backlogs. Also, most of the population in Canada is aging, so they do want qualified individuals.