+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BREAKING NEWS Bill C-6 finally passed in HoC, Now reading in Senate

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wamapr said:
So my question is if ANY four calendar years (with min. 183 days each) that are fully or partially in the six years immediately before the date of my application are okay or they have to be immediate successive calendar years to my date of application for the Citizenship?

In my case the tentative scenario looks as following:

CY - Days

2012 - 18
2013 - 78
2014 - 365
2015 - 316
2016 - 356
2017 - 305
2018 - 22
Total 1460 Days
Date of eligibility - 22-Jan-18

Is my calculation of the above date of eligibility accurate or I will need to complete 183 days also in the calendar year 2018 before I can apply for the Citizenship?

Thank you kindly for your insight..
It is in ANY four year....you are correct that you are eligible in January. But it is highly advisable to add some buffer days before you apply.

zsy54531

Nov 27, 2013
Update: The LegisInfo website suggests that the bill has been referred to committee on Dec 15th. Any idea what that means for the progress?
http://www.parl.gc.ca/LEGISInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=8117654

XpressEnterprise

May 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, PK (old)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-2008
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
Nomination.....
13-07-2007 (Investor)
AOR Received.
19-08-2008
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
20-04-2011 (London, UK)
Med's Request
29-08-2012 / 29-03-2014
Med's Done....
05-10-2012 / 20-06-2014
Interview........
01-12-2010 (Damascus, Syria)
Passport Req..
21-02-2012 (PPR1) / 15-10-2014 (PPR1 with chart) / 17-11-2014 (PPR2)
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2014 (Received on 01-01-2015)
LANDED..........
12-04-2015 (PR Card : 09-07-2015)
Yes. Even progress bar is showing only last two stages are left (out of total of 7). However, there are some very interesting analysis.

If you compare timeline of Bill C-6 to Bill C-24, you'll notice that Senate approved C-24 in 4 days (that's including all 3 hearings) and even bill got Royal Ascent the same day. Standing Senate Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology took just one single day to publish their report without any amendments.

However if you look at Bill C-6, it came to senate on 17th June 2016 and it's currently at '2nd Reading' stage reportedly on 15 December 2016. That's almost 5 months and 28 days since it came to Senate (The entire timeline duration of Bill C-24 including both House of Commons and Senate is 4 months and 13 days). It was referred to Standing Senate Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology on 15th December 2016, so lets see how far they can drag it.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
it's too late for ths bill.
my wife's gonna qualify on the 4/6 yrs in february so we gonna apply on that.
this bill's taking too long anway by that time most will qualify on the 4/6, specially those from 2012/2013.

capermanet

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Liberals are not mature and not confident in comparison with Conservatives, they even lost election they are still on control.

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
admontreal said:
Impressive and interesting. Thank you for all the insights you bring :)
Do you foresee any chance that the bill would be abandonned ?

subha_1962 said:
If not before Christmas, what sort of timelines did he have in mind did he know or have an idea. Would it be done at lease by Canada day of 2017?
TBH, Minister and others were thinking that this bill will be passed by Fall but it didn't happen. Bills will get passed eventually but it's taking it's sweet time. Here is one another thing to look at. Previous Minister of Immigration is contesting to be Conservative party leader and immigration is also his stance. Conservatives might be delaying it for that reason. I have certainly passed my concerns to Conservative Senators in person, so let's see how it goes. Being 6 months in Senate is not a big thing. We don't follow other bills and this is not a very important bill as it doesn't impact any one life in a major way. It's not time sensitive so there is no point in pushing it fast.If you have to make an impact, speak to your Senators and bring it to their attention. When I spoke to Senators from CPC, they said they are hearing these stories for the first time. While I am impacted by the bill the most, I have to respect the system here. I fly internationally 10-15 times a year so I have to document my entry exit dates which is overhead, but this is what it is.
I chose Canada to be my home and I am thankful to this Country. This is a very major bill and it is certainly Senator right to look over it. They are taking their sweet time because they don't consider it a time sensitive issue, so raise your voices in a polite way.

rightstalk

Dec 20, 2016
Actually, I am glad they delayed the process. If they sent it to the committee before they would definitely amend it. Because the committee is Conservative majority. After appointing all the independent right now, the committee is kind of liberal. Previous Government appointed I guess almost 60 senates out 110 and there were previous conservative senates. And you cannot replace Senate until they retire. So no matter how much liberal wanted to change the bill it was constitutionally impossible. If they pushed it through, there would be amends which would change a lot of things. So it is better to wait.

subha_1962

Dec 20, 2013
punk said:
TBH, Minister and others were thinking that this bill will be passed by Fall but it didn't happen. Bills will get passed eventually but it's taking it's sweet time. Here is one another thing to look at. Previous Minister of Immigration is contesting to be Conservative party leader and immigration is also his stance. Conservatives might be delaying it for that reason. I have certainly passed my concerns to Conservative Senators in person, so let's see how it goes. Being 6 months in Senate is not a big thing. We don't follow other bills and this is not a very important bill as it doesn't impact any one life in a major way. It's not time sensitive so there is no point in pushing it fast.If you have to make an impact, speak to your Senators and bring it to their attention. When I spoke to Senators from CPC, they said they are hearing these stories for the first time. While I am impacted by the bill the most, I have to respect the system here. I fly internationally 10-15 times a year so I have to document my entry exit dates which is overhead, but this is what it is.
I chose Canada to be my home and I am thankful to this Country. This is a very major bill and it is certainly Senator right to look over it. They are taking their sweet time because they don't consider it a time sensitive issue, so raise your voices in a polite way.
Thank you for the answer. Now with the current changes, such as committee appointments, can we hope that the bill would be in full implementation by Canada day of 2017? I know it is speculation only now, but things seem to be more positive

wamapr

Dec 2, 2016
Rigly68 said:
It is in ANY four year....you are correct that you are eligible in January. But it is highly advisable to add some buffer days before you apply.
Thank you kindly, I appreciate your specific answer :) :)

jaytarun

Dec 22, 2016
wamapr said:
Thank you kindly, I appreciate your specific answer :) :)
hey I am wondering if you can suggest about period which we should before applying for citizenship after being eligible. I was planning to apply sooner after eligibility but trying to hear the pros and cons about it and would really appreciate any suggestions from anyone about this.

Many thanks in Advance.

waitingwaiting

Aug 28, 2015
Hey Guys,

Just a question...

When does the time start to be counted being an Immigrant for the purpose of Citizenship ?
Does it start from the day we complete our Landing ? Or from the day we get our PR Card ?
I got my PR as an Inland applicant btw.

Thanks,

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
waitingwaiting said:
Hey Guys,

Just a question...

When does the time start to be counted being an Immigrant for the purpose of Citizenship ?
Does it start from the day we complete our Landing ? Or from the day we get our PR Card ?
I got my PR as an Inland applicant btw.

Thanks,
The day you complete your landing. The date on your COPR.

jaytarun

Dec 22, 2016
keesio said:
The day you complete your landing. The date on your COPR.
I will be eligible in April 2017, can some one suggest how long should I wait before applying for citizenship to be on safe? I was out of the country for almost 1.5 years( there was a family emergency)