Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
AmirATM said:
same question ...Any news ?
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/bill-c6-senate-stage-t461681.15.html

mubzali

Jun 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
22-03-2016
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-02-2017
i have a question on an unrelated topic

I was a student in Canada from Sep 2005 - Nov 2009 (4 years)
Between Aug 2009 - Aug 2012 I was on a post graduate work permit (3 years)
From Aug 2012 - Nov 2014 I was there on a Visitors Record (2 years)

It's a long story as to why I did not apply or get my PR back then, but my question is: say I get my PR in the coming months, for simplicity sake and timeline say Jan 2017. Would any of my time above count towards the citizenship requirement of 4 out of last 6 years? Did international students not have 50% of their time count towards this requirement? Or is that only applicable if I had applied under the CEC stream? I know bill C-24 had made a lot of changes and the Liberal government has introduced quite a few amendments to that - any idea of where things are on this? I have a weird feeling my time as a student and worker won't count towards the citizenship requirement now...anyone got any thoughts on this matter?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
mubzali said:
i have a question on an unrelated topic

I was a student in Canada from Sep 2005 - Nov 2009 (4 years)
Between Aug 2009 - Aug 2012 I was on a post graduate work permit (3 years)
From Aug 2012 - Nov 2014 I was there on a Visitors Record (2 years)

It's a long story as to why I did not apply or get my PR back then, but my question is: say I get my PR in the coming months, for simplicity sake and timeline say Jan 2017. Would any of my time above count towards the citizenship requirement of 4 out of last 6 years? Did international students not have 50% of their time count towards this requirement? Or is that only applicable if I had applied under the CEC stream? I know bill C-24 had made a lot of changes and the Liberal government has introduced quite a few amendments to that - any idea of where things are on this? I have a weird feeling my time as a student and worker won't count towards the citizenship requirement now...anyone got any thoughts on this matter?
With the current rules, your time as a student will not be counted. Even with the old rules (3/4), only the last 4 years would have been valid. So all your time as a student (2005-2014) would not have counted under the old rules anyway. The new proposed 3/5 will likely restore the 50% credit as a temporary resident (student) for up to 5 years. Since C-6 is taking its sweet time getting through, by the time it is enforced, it will likely be well into 2017 and your time as a student will be beyond the 5 years to gain any credit. Not sure about visitor status... I don't think that ever applied.

wamapr

Dec 2, 2016
Hello Everyone,

I just joined this forum today and am still learning to use it, so please excuse and correct me if I am posting this at a wrong place. Me and my family are PR since 5 July 2012. Since then in 2012 we only lived in Canada for about 10 days however we returned to Canada in October 2013 and since that time until today we are living in Canada continuously. Even after counting out those 10 days of 2012 and any visits outside Canada since October 2013 we are completing 1095 days of stay in Canada as a PR in this month (December 2016). Now below are my questions:

1. When the Bill C-6 becomes a law, will we be eligible to apply for the Citizenship IMMEDIATELY?

2. As per the latest info I saw, the Bill C- 6 is under Second reading (Senate), as of Nov. 28, 2016, so:
2.1 What would be the next steps in its way to become a law
2.2 What are the chances that it will become a law
2.3.What could be an estimated timeline for it to become a law

3. Once we apply for the Citizenship, what is the expected timeline for us to get the actual Citizenship.

Experts, thank you kindly for your time and valued advise!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
wamapr said:
Hello Everyone,

I just joined this forum today and am still learning to use it, so please excuse and correct me if I am posting this at a wrong place. Me and my family are PR since 5 July 2012. Since then in 2012 we only lived in Canada for about 10 days however we returned to Canada in October 2013 and since that time until today we are living in Canada continuously. Even after counting out those 10 days of 2012 and any visits outside Canada since October 2013 we are completing 1095 days of stay in Canada as a PR in this month (December 2016). Now below are my questions:

1. When the Bill C-6 becomes a law, will we be eligible to apply for the Citizenship IMMEDIATELY?

2. As per the latest info I saw, the Bill C- 6 is under Second reading (Senate), as of Nov. 28, 2016, so:
2.1 What would be the next steps in its way to become a law
2.2 What are the chances that it will become a law
2.3.What could be an estimated timeline for it to become a law

3. Once we apply for the Citizenship, what is the expected timeline for us to get the actual Citizenship.

Experts, thank you kindly for your time and valued advise!
1. Unless you meet the current 4/6 requirement, it is unlikely since it will take time for IRCC to implement the rule after it becomes law. This is not trivial. How long it takes IRCC to implement the new rules is unknown. But remember - this is the government we are talking about. They are not known for swift action
2. The final step is royal assent. I'm optimistic that it will eventually become law - but with several amendments. As for when, no one knows. We are all sitting here in this thread trying to guess.
3. Again, no one knows.

mubzali

Jun 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
22-03-2016
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-02-2017
keesio said:
With the current rules, your time as a student will not be counted. Even with the old rules (3/4), only the last 4 years would have been valid. So all your time as a student (2005-2014) would not have counted under the old rules anyway. The new proposed 3/5 will likely restore the 50% credit as a temporary resident (student) for up to 5 years. Since C-6 is taking its sweet time getting through, by the time it is enforced, it will likely be well into 2017 and your time as a student will be beyond the 5 years to gain any credit. Not sure about visitor status... I don't think that ever applied.
Thanks for the thorough response @keesio. visitor status never applied you're correct. I surmised as such but was hoping against hope my time as a student would have been counted. but it's been too long; didn't have much guidance when I had come to Canada - paying for it now/

wamapr

Dec 2, 2016
keesio said:
1. Unless you meet the current 4/6 requirement, it is unlikely since it will take time for IRCC to implement the rule after it becomes law. This is not trivial. How long it takes IRCC to implement the new rules is unknown. But remember - this is the government we are talking about. They are not known for swift action
2. The final step is royal assent. I'm optimistic that it will eventually become law - but with several amendments. As for when, no one knows. We are all sitting here in this thread trying to guess.
3. Again, no one knows.
@keesio, Thank you for a detailed answer, I really appreciate it. So even after if/when Bill C-6 becomes a law there will be a further time required for IRCC to implement the changes, is this my interpretation correct?

Also once a person apply for the Citizenship, what is the current trend of time required for that person to get the Citizenship and is that likely going to change after Bill C-6 becomes a law, I heard Bill C-6 entails longer processing time than the current hence this question, but I may be wrong.....I hope I am wrong....

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
wamapr said:
So even after if/when Bill C-6 becomes a law there will be a further time required for IRCC to implement the changes, is this my interpretation correct?
Yes. Remember that when C-24 passed, it took CIC almost a year to implement it. So the rules from C-24 came into effect only about a year or so after it passed. The same will apply to C-6. Maybe IRCC will implement it much faster than C-24. But even if they move quickly, it will be a few months at least.

Also once a person apply for the Citizenship, what is the current trend of time required for that person to get the Citizenship and is that likely going to change after Bill C-6 becomes a law, I heard Bill C-6 entails longer processing time than the current hence this question, but I may be wrong.....I hope I am wrong....
No one can answer that. Maybe it will create a backlog and slow things down. Or maybe because the standards are more relaxed that it makes processing a little easier? Who knows.

Hamid khan

Champion Member
Apr 29, 2013
I do not have very good idea how any bill pass as per Canadian law

But my thinking was, if PM wants to pass any bill He ( Justin T ) can do by his own power. ( in my country happen like this because PM have special power )

Also if any senate member wants not to pass this bill then why Justin T replace her to new person so that this bill can pass easily

I just write what ever I understand.

If i am wrong please correct me.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hamid khan said:
I do not have very good idea how any bill pass as per Canadian law

But my thinking was, if PM wants to pass any bill He ( Justin T ) can do by his own power. ( in my country happen like this because PM have special power )

Also if any senate member wants not to pass this bill then why Justin T replace her to new person so that this bill can pass easily

I just write what ever I understand.

If i am wrong please correct me.[
dude, do you really have to reply to every thread with exactly the same thing? especially when it is nothing useful or informative but just your own ranting...

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hamid khan said:
Well, this is Canada and the power the PM has, is different. Get used to it.