+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Break Between Two Programs

johnnorthtest

Jun 4, 2019
Hi,
I am an International student pursuing a 1 year post graduate certificate program .(Aug 30 2018 to August 16 2019). I am planning to take another 1 year program after my current program completion. Since I am not financially able to pay the fees for September 2019 intake i am planing to take the program in January 2020. My visa expires in December 31 2019. I will be getting the offer letter soon and is planning to apply for study permit extension. Will there be any problem if i take a semester break between 2 programs. Will it affect my PGWP. Can i work part time / full time during this break.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi,
I am an International student pursuing a 1 year post graduate certificate program .(Aug 30 2018 to August 16 2019). I am planning to take another 1 year program after my current program completion. Since I am not financially able to pay the fees for September 2019 intake i am planing to take the program in January 2020. My visa expires in December 31 2019. I will be getting the offer letter soon and is planning to apply for study permit extension. Will there be any problem if i take a semester break between 2 programs. Will it affect my PGWP. Can i work part time / full time during this break.
It will not affect your PGWP. With regards to your ability to work, it's a little bit complicated.

"Students who have completed a program of study and will be starting a new program of study within 150 days of receiving a written confirmation of program completion from their current institution
Students may work off campus on a full-time basis until the start of their new program if the following applies:

• they meet the eligibility criteria to work off campus [R186(v)]
  • they have received written confirmation of program completion from their current institution (for instance, a transcript or an official letter)
  • they have submitted an application to change conditions, extend their stay or remain in Canada as a student before their current study permit expired, or they still have a valid study permit
  • they have been issued a letter of acceptance to a subsequent program of full-time study at a DLI and will be starting the new program within 150 calendar days of receiving a notification of program completion from their current institution
If the new program of study starts more than 150 calendar days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their current institution, the student is eligible to work off campus only during the first 150 consecutive days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion. They should then either apply to change their status (for instance, change it into visitor status) or leave Canada until their new program commences."

Source : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus

Reactions: gupt07ash

johnnorthtest

Jun 4, 2019
It will not affect your PGWP. With regards to your ability to work, it's a little bit complicated.

"Students who have completed a program of study and will be starting a new program of study within 150 days of receiving a written confirmation of program completion from their current institution
Students may work off campus on a full-time basis until the start of their new program if the following applies:

• they meet the eligibility criteria to work off campus [R186(v)]
  • they have received written confirmation of program completion from their current institution (for instance, a transcript or an official letter)
  • they have submitted an application to change conditions, extend their stay or remain in Canada as a student before their current study permit expired, or they still have a valid study permit
  • they have been issued a letter of acceptance to a subsequent program of full-time study at a DLI and will be starting the new program within 150 calendar days of receiving a notification of program completion from their current institution
If the new program of study starts more than 150 calendar days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their current institution, the student is eligible to work off campus only during the first 150 consecutive days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion. They should then either apply to change their status (for instance, change it into visitor status) or leave Canada until their new program commences."

Source : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus
So if i complete my program in August 16th , can i work 150 days after that

maple007

Jan 18, 2019
If you complete your program on aug 16th, you can work till jan 13th.
Hi , what in the case if I didn't complete my current program and I will withdraw from it .

And I want to apply for a different one ?

My study permit expires Aug 30 , new program starts Aug 27 .

After withdrawal , can I work full time ?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi , what in the case if I didn't complete my current program and I will withdraw from it .

And I want to apply for a different one ?

My study permit expires Aug 30 , new program starts Aug 27 .

After withdrawal , can I work full time ?

1. No, it is not a semester break if you withdraw