+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Boyfriend with FSTP/FSWP VISA status wants to bring GF from U.S. to live

honu

Feb 27, 2014
Hello,

I am so happy to have found this forum with useful information. I tried to search for a similar question/topic to my situation and did not find anything. I am a U.S citizen currently living in California and I will be graduating from a university in June 2014 with a Bachelor's Degree in Animal Science. My boyfriend is an Austrian that is currently residing in California with a work visa through a company. He has been recently offered a promotion job in Vancouver at his company's Canadian branch. We have been in a relationship for 3 years now but we do not live together. His company wants him to make his decision by April 2014 whether he will take the job or not. If he were to take the job, he might be on a FSTP/FSWP visa to be able to work in Canada for a few years. We are very much in love so he has invited me to come live with him. The earliest he would start working would be the end of this year and the latest he would start working would be beginning of next year when his work visa (in California) expires February 2015. So here are my questions/concerns:

1. What is the best possible way for me to be able to live with him while he is working? I am aware of declaring common law, but would that apply to my boyfriend's situation?
2. If I were to take the student visa route, is there any financial assistance available to international students? In the U.S. we use FAFSA and I have heard that some Canadian schools provide stafford loans as long as I apply...
3. If I were to take the work visa route, are there any free agencies that can help me find jobs within the veterinary/animal industry?
4. If I were to go to Vancouver Community College or Granville College to get a Veterinary Assistant Certificate, would I be able to stay in Canada to work after the certificate/degree program is over?
5. His company is flying us both out to Vancouver next weekend to check out the city before he makes his final decision. Are there any free resources available that we can access in person while we are there to give us advice? And should I bring my resume into animal clinics or other work places or would I be turned away?

I know that marriage is the best option but that is not an option for us right now ::) Please let me know what my options are and what might be best for our situation. I would be forever grateful! Thank you so much!!!

honu

Feb 27, 2014
Oh and I forgot to add that I speak fluently in Korean. I have heard that there is a nice population of Koreans in Vancouver but I am not sure if that would make a difference in making it easier for me to find a job...

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I'll get the ball rolling for you, but I'm afraid that I don't have much information for you.

Do either of you have a desire to apply for Permanent Resident status (eventually), or are you merely looking for a way to legally be with him while HE is LIVING in Vancouver?

1.Declaring common-law is not applicable to you, nor would it matter, since he would need to be a Canadian Permanent Resident (or citizen) to sponsor you. No use going down that road...for now.

2. No idea. I'll defer to others to reply.

3. No idea if there are free agencies, but you would need to find an employer that is willing to hire you and they would need to go through the LMO (Labour market Opinion) process, which can sometimes be a hassle for them.

4. You would need a study permit to attend a school.

5. You're going to LOVE Vancouver! Bringing your resume could be an issue, if you are confronted by the CBSA at the airport (not likely, but possible). If they find that you are traveling with your resume, they'll probably have a bunch of questions for you. It's perfectly fine to look for work in Vancouver, but you have to convince CBSA, if questioned, that you are NOT here to work...just putting out feelers. Most clinics will likely refuse your resume, if they know that you re not employable at this time.

Good luck to you both!

*EDIT*

Be careful not to say anything to the Immigration officer at the Vancouver airport that even eludes to your desire to LIVE with your bf, when he is transferred to Canada. You are coming with him to `see' Vancouver. ;)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. No - you aren't common law. To be considered common law you must live together for a minimum of one full year first. The easiest thing would be to get married now and he can then include you as his spouse when he applies for the work permit.
2. If you want a loan to support your studies, you'll have to obtain this loan outside of Canada (Canadian banks won't loan you the money). If you're looking for a scholarship, there is very little available for international students. Most scholarships are geared towards domestic students. Any scholarships that are available are typically for Master's studies or higher. Best bet is to contact the school you're interested in attending to ask.
3. No - there really aren't. You're best off finding a job on your own and applying to companies directly Too many agencies are scams.
4. If the diploma is full time and at least 8 months long, then you can get a work permit afterwards. The length of this work permit will depend on how long you have studied.
5. If you want help to investigate options and make a decision - then the best bet is to hire a qualified immigration lawyer or consultant. Otherwise if you want to do it for free, it really involves researching and reading on your own. You can certainly drop off your resume - whether anyone will be interested is a different matter. You should find out if your job qualifies under NAFTA. This will determine how difficult it will be for a Canadian employer to hire you.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are coming with him to `see' Vancouver.
Do not lie to CBSA officer. They will catch you and you will be in trouble. Besides even if you are able to come to Canada "to see Vancouver", you will be able to stay as long as the officer at POE allows or max 6 months only. Then you have to leave Canada and try to enter again. Now think what kind of questions they will ask you. And what? Will you lie again? In the end you may get a ban for a year or two.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regina said:
Do not lie to CBSA officer. They will catch you and you will be in trouble. Besides even if you are able to come to Canada "to see Vancouver", you will be able to stay as long as the officer at POE allows or max 6 months only. Then you have to leave Canada and try to enter again. Now think what kind of questions they will ask you. And what? Will you lie again? In the end you may get a ban for a year or two.
Really? What should she tell the CBSA upon her initial entry into Canada next weekend? That she's really, and honestly...tagging along with her bf, while he checks out Vancouver to see if he likes it, and if he does...and she does as well, she wants to move to Vancouver too!

How is saying that she is coming to `see' Vancouver, in any way shape or form a lie?!

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How is saying that she is coming to `see' Vancouver, in any way shape or form a lie?!
Yes it is. (Welcome to Canada! :D )
If her REAL INTENTION is to STAY with her BF but she says "just for weekend" IT IS A LIE. Besides in Canada this "small" lie will have consequences. What shall she say next time ? She can stay in Canada for 6 months only, then leave and try to get into Canada again.. "for a weekend only"? Do not fool yourself, CBSA officers are professionals ;)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regina said:
Yes it is. (Welcome to Canada! :D )
If her REAL INTENTION is to STAY with her BF but she says "just for weekend" IT IS A LIE. Besides in Canada this "small" lie will have consequences. What shall she say next time ? She can stay in Canada for 6 months only, then leave and try to get into Canada again.. "for a weekend only"? Do not fool yourself, CBSA officers are professionals ;)
You're missing the point.

Her REAL INTENTION is NOT to stay in Canada when she comes to Vancouver next weekend, so again...saying that she is visiting is not a lie.

Her REAL INTENTION to LIVE in Canada, will happen ONLY when she enters Canada after her bf has accepted his transfer and has moved himself to Canada.

At that point in time, she should NOT tell the CBSA that she is moving to LIVE with her bf...only that she is visiting her bf (for up to 6 months), but guess what:

She will in fact be living with him while she is visiting him, right?!?!?!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So...what do you suggest she say when, on the day that she arrives at the border, with the intentions of living with her bf, she is asked:
"What is your reason for coming to Canada today"?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
with the intentions of living with her bf, she is asked:
"What is your reason for coming to Canada today"?
Well, I did not look for a solution precisely but definitely DO NOT TELL LIES.

What would be your advise for any other foreigner who wants to come to Canada to live with a BF?
For Canada, US citizens are the same foreigners-immigrants as any other from any other country. The only difference with let's say Hungarian , French or Indian is that US citizens could come to Canadian border by car and not plane.

If she wants to come as a common law partner they should live together for 12+ months.
They could marry and then he could take her as his wife.
She could try to find a job through NAFTA if possible or through obtaining LMO.
She could apply and get SP.

There are LEGAL ways for them. If they chose not to follow the rules- too bad.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regina said:
Well, I did not look for a solution precisely but definitely DO NOT TELL LIES.

What would be your advise for any other foreigner who wants to come to Canada to live with a BF?
For Canada, US citizens are the same foreigners-immigrants as any other from any other country. The only difference with let's say Hungarian , French or Indian is that US citizens could come to Canadian border by car and not plane.

If she wants to come as a common law partner they should live together for 12+ months.
They could marry and then he could take her as his wife.
She could try to find a job through NAFTA if possible or through obtaining LMO.
She could apply and get SP.

There are LEGAL ways for them. If they chose not to follow the rules- too bad.
The consensus for most people here (and especially in the Spousal Sponsorship forum) is that one should never say that they are coming to live with their bf,gf, wife, partner, etc., as they will more than likely be refused.

The OP has not indicted whether or not her bf has any intentions of applying for PR, so until that piece of this puzzle has been disclosed, there's no reason to discuss the common-law or marriage issue.

Ironically, I do agree, wholeheartedly that she should find a way to be in Canada legally when she does make the move.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
is that one should never say that they are coming to live with their bf,gf, wife, partner, etc., as they will more than likely be refused.
This is a lie. So, if those people are lairs it does not mean that everybody has to follow their route. This is an individual choice and then people should accept consequences without complaining. :)

The OP has not indicted whether or not her bf has any intentions of applying for PR,
Even if he is on WP it still would be easier for her to come to Canada as his family member (married or common-law).

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Perhaps you didn't notice, but she said that are not living together, so common-law before he get his WP is a moot point.

Hopefully, the OP and her bf will enjoy their visit to Vancouver and will find a way for her to do what she is trying to do.

Thanks for the debate Regina. I respect your opinion.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Perhaps you didn't notice, but she said that are not living together, so common-law before he get his WP is a moot point.
I noticed. But it is not MY concern. We are talking about possiblities.

They would like to be together in Canada? they should move together now. His supposed date of starting work is in December or Feb 2015? They can move together right now. He will go to Canada in December she will visit him now and then and in March 2015 claim her common-law (for 10 months+ 2 months conjugal partner) status and move to Canada. Or he will go to Canada in Feb 2015 and she can try to go with him or in March 2015. What's the problem?