+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP question

Loyaltocanada

Jan 21, 2019
Hi All

I’m applying for a BOWP for me and my spouse.

My current status is valid Open work permit while my wife’s is valid study permit (completed studies)

Question: can my spouse start working while waiting the BOWP?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi All

I’m applying for a BOWP for me and my spouse.

My current status is valid Open work permit while my wife’s is valid study permit (completed studies)

Question: can my spouse start working while waiting the BOWP?

No. This is because she is not currently authorized to work, and so will not benefit from "implied status." Just like anyone else applying for their first work permit, she will have to wait until she receives it.

BTW only one of you (presumably, you, as the likely principal applicant) is eligible for the BOWP. Spouses are eligible for a spouse open work permit, if the BOWP is approved.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html

The following foreign nationals do not qualify for a BOWP:
  • spouses and dependants of principal permanent resident applicants;

Reactions: DelPiero07

mau123

Nov 16, 2018
No. This is because she is not currently authorized to work, and so will not benefit from "implied status." Just like anyone else applying for their first work permit, she will have to wait until she receives it.

BTW only one of you (presumably, you, as the likely principal applicant) is eligible for the BOWP. Spouses are eligible for a spouse open work permit, if the BOWP is approved.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html

The following foreign nationals do not qualify for a BOWP:
  • spouses and dependants of principal permanent resident applicants;
Hey, but it's possible to apply for BWP for principal applicant and dependent if both are open work permit holders right? I mean, at the same time. As I'm planning to apply with my partner and we both hold valid open work permits (IEC) and they offer option to apply for a family member when filling out the form.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hey, but it's possible to apply for BWP for principal applicant and dependent if both are open work permit holders right? I mean, at the same time. As I'm planning to apply with my partner and we both hold valid open work permits (IEC) and they offer option to apply for a family member when filling out the form.
Yes, you can apply at the same time. If you apply online, then it walks you through the family member application too.

Reactions: mau123