+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP - How many of you have applied and received it successfully?

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
iam_toby said:
Sweet mother of god, that is EXPENSIVE!

... no wait, EXPENSIVE!
Yup. But I looked at several firms and had consultations with four of them. I went with who I was happiest with.

Money. Well. Spent. :)

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
jsm0085 said:
Yup. But I looked at several firms and had consultations with four of them. I went with who I was happiest with.

Money. Well. Spent. :)
Absolutely! It's a lot of money we're talking about, but applying for PR is also a big decision. And
the money is well worth it if you feel and felt good with your consultant.

nandoU

Star Member
Mar 10, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
04-07-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
iam_toby said:
Absolutely! It's a lot of money we're talking about, but applying for PR is also a big decision. And
the money is well worth it if you feel and felt good with your consultant.
I thought that Canadian Experience Class people had some experience with the Canadian system. I found that reading the instructions was good enough...man 1500+ is like too much, I would have done the consultation for free or say less than 400. The PR costs you 500 (application)+500 after the gov. proves it (+ all the document and IELTS one needs to submit). If the lawyer didn't just help with the papers and filling the application, but also discussed the convenience of becoming PR, I may understand...but still. I guess filling my taxes on my own and dealing with CIC since I came to Canada for my graduate education really helped me to save some money....so much money!...still, if I had any doubt during the process, people in this forum was experienced and kind enough to give me very good advice.

Well, good for you and I hope everything goes well.

nandoU

Star Member
Mar 10, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
04-07-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
thepervasivep1 said:
Congrats!! need a help please, do we have to ask for restoration of status too?

Regards..
Errrrr....I'm not getting your question.

So you are saying....say that I applied to the BOWP while my old WP expired?

That wasn't my case, at all times during my process I was legal temporary resident of Canada.

If your current WP has expired, but you applied for the BOWP BEFORE it expired, your legal status becomes "implied", which means that you have a "grace period" were you can remain at "paid" work (without being given the chance to leave Canada) while you wait for a decision from CIC about your BOWP application. In other words, if your status is implied (u applied to BOWP before your WP expires), once the BOWP is approved, you automatically become legal temporary resident, and you don't need to do anything else to restore your status.

Unfortunately I don't know what happens if you apply to BOWP AFTER your current WP expires. But you should specify a bit better your current situation, so other "elders" can help you with some info.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nandoU said:
I thought that Canadian Experience Class people had some experience with the Canadian system. I found that reading the instructions was good enough...man 1500+ is like too much, I would have done the consultation for free or say less than 400. The PR costs you 500 (application)+500 after the gov. proves it (+ all the document and IELTS one needs to submit). If the lawyer didn't just help with the papers and filling the application, but also discussed the convenience of becoming PR, I may understand...but still. I guess filling my taxes on my own and dealing with CIC since I came to Canada for my graduate education really helped me to save some money....so much money!...still, if I had any doubt during the process, people in this forum was experienced and kind enough to give me very good advice.

Well, good for you and I hope everything goes well.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "I thought that Canadian Experience Class people had some experience with the Canadian system.".

Choosing to use a rep is as you point out no different to choosing to have a professional deal with your taxes. I used a rep for both but I'm sure if I really wanted to I could have done both myself.

I choose however to pay and take comfort from the fact that I invested time and money in finding reps who I have a lot of confidence in.

You have to realize it's easy to say "do it yourself, it's simple" but lots of OPs here make errors that aren't identified until their applications have been in queue's for over 11 months! Errors that they should have identified, but didn't, for whatever reason.

We all really ought to be a bit more conservative around telling people to use or not use reps. What actually matters is: -

1) If someone is going to use a rep, they need to ensure they are picking someone who is trustworthy and can do a good job. The $ obviously does matter but really shouldn't be the deciding factor on who to use. Too many people choose bogus reps who take their money and do a crap job.

2) If someone is going to do it themselves, they NEED to invest the time to understand the requirements. Too many people apply not understanding the requirements having not invested enough time in the process and then waste over a year and a ton of $ going through a process that they either aren't eligible for or have made such a huge mistake in the application that they aren't going to be successful.

lithium002

Nov 11, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb/07/2013
Doc's Request.
Aug/22/2013
AOR Received.
Mar/19/2013
Med's Request
Dec/01/2013
Med's Done....
Dec/09/2013
Passport Req..
Mar/13/2014
VISA ISSUED...
Mar/26/2014
LANDED..........
Mar/30/2014
jsm0085 said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "I thought that Canadian Experience Class people had some experience with the Canadian system.".

Choosing to use a rep is as you point out no different to choosing to have a professional deal with your taxes. I used a rep for both but I'm sure if I really wanted to I could have done both myself.

I choose however to pay and take comfort from the fact that I invested time and money in finding reps who I have a lot of confidence in.

You have to realize it's easy to say "do it yourself, it's simple" but lots of OPs here make errors that aren't identified until their applications have been in queue's for over 11 months! Errors that they should have identified, but didn't, for whatever reason.

We all really ought to be a bit more conservative around telling people to use or not use reps. What actually matters is: -

1) If someone is going to use a rep, they need to ensure they are picking someone who is trustworthy and can do a good job. The $ obviously does matter but really shouldn't be the deciding factor on who to use. Too many people choose bogus reps who take their money and do a crap job.

2) If someone is going to do it themselves, they NEED to invest the time to understand the requirements. Too many people apply not understanding the requirements having not invested enough time in the process and then waste over a year and a ton of $ going through a process that they either aren't eligible for or have made such a huge mistake in the application that they aren't going to be successful.
I agree that there needs to be a certain level of reservation in recommending one or the other, however, in either case, knowing as much as you can about the process is the key. I've seen posts on this forum with people who went with representatives who made grave mistakes on applications as well.

So, sound advice: pick a representative very carefully, knowing their track record and feedback, and also educate yourself on the process as much as you can if you decide to go that route.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Anyone who applied and received the BOWP please respond:

I applied for permanent residence to an office in-Canada and was determined to be eligible for permanent resident status (first stage approval).

- Yes.

Have you been told by a Citizenship and Immigration Canada office that you are approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada?

- No.

Have you submitted a permanent resident application in Canada?

- Yes.

Do you have a written job offer?

- No. ( Doesn't matter?! )
A question came up in a different thread on how to answer the highlighted question.

Yes, for approved in principle -
or No, for not approved in principle?

To me, it sounds like after getting AOR and answering question 1 with YES we should answer with NO to
the second question as we're not approved in principle so far, right?

xihy06

Star Member
Jul 15, 2013
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Aug-2013
Doc's Request.
10-Mar-2014
AOR Received.
09-Oct-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with app
Med's Done....
Upfront 01-Dec-2013
Passport Req..
27-May-2014; VO change Req.:28-May; Confirmation Rec.: 12-June
iam_toby said:
Anyone who applied and received the BOWP please respond:

A question came up in a different thread on how to answer the highlighted question.

Yes, for approved in principle -
or No, for not approved in principle?

To me, it sounds like after getting AOR and answering question 1 with YES we should answer with NO to
the second question as we're not approved in principle so far, right?
I think that's correct though I haven't received my BOWP yet...
I only got AOR when applying for BOWP so I answered YES to Q1 and NO to Q2

thepervasivep1

Sep 24, 2013
nandoU said:
Errrrr....I'm not getting your question.

So you are saying....say that I applied to the BOWP while my old WP expired?

That wasn't my case, at all times during my process I was legal temporary resident of Canada.

If your current WP has expired, but you applied for the BOWP BEFORE it expired, your legal status becomes "implied", which means that you have a "grace period" were you can remain at "paid" work (without being given the chance to leave Canada) while you wait for a decision from CIC about your BOWP application. In other words, if your status is implied (u applied to BOWP before your WP expires), once the BOWP is approved, you automatically become legal temporary resident, and you don't need to do anything else to restore your status.

Unfortunately I don't know what happens if you apply to BOWP AFTER your current WP expires. But you should specify a bit better your current situation, so other "elders" can help you with some info.

Sorry for the confusion. I mean during filling the Online questionnaire(before filling up the actual forms), there's one of the questions which asks "Do you want to restore your current status" . What should I select here? I guess no.. right?

Thanks.

nandoU

Star Member
Mar 10, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
04-07-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
thepervasivep1 said:
Sorry for the confusion. I mean during filling the Online questionnaire(before filling up the actual forms), there's one of the questions which asks "Do you want to restore your current status" . What should I select here? I guess no.. right?

Thanks.
Sadly nor I remember neither I have any form of copy of the questionnaire.

However, the actual main application has a similar question (number 3):

3.- I'm applying for one or more of the following?:

-A work permit with same employer
-A work permit with new employer
-Restoration of temporary resident status as a worker
-Initial temporary resident permit or extension of temporary resident permit

I checked "A work permit with same employer"

capeire

May 10, 2013
I have a question.....

I succesfully received my bridging visa in August. But they only gave me until May next year as my passport expires by then. But now i have renewed my passport. So can i now forward my new passport to immigration and ask them to extend my bridging visa until August next year to get the full year out of it (free of charge) or will i just have to pay another 150$ before May next year to get another bridging visa if my PR has not been processed by then?

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks