+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP - How many of you have applied and received it successfully?

Confusedperson

Aug 23, 2018
Hi everyone,

I’m currently on a WHV that expires October 1st me and my common law partner have applied for pr through cec (I am the main applicant she is the dependent).
We went to go apply for BOWP today but i’m so confused!

In the IM5710 which box do we tick for Q3? As we are on a open work permit.

Which uci do we use? The one from our whv or the one been given to us for our cec application?

We are both employed but I don’t understand why I need to give my employers details and my jobs? Does the bowp lock us into our current jobs?

Does the AOR go in the LOE section?

Is there anything else I should be watching out for?

I’ve read through a lot of this forum but I haven’t seen many questions about going from whv to a bowp so sorry if I am re-asking anything!

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
Hi everyone,

I’m currently on a WHV that expires October 1st me and my common law partner have applied for pr through cec (I am the main applicant she is the dependent).
We went to go apply for BOWP today but i’m so confused!

In the IM5710 which box do we tick for Q3? As we are on a open work permit.
An initial work permit or work permit with a new employer

Which uci do we use? The one from our whv or the one been given to us for our cec application?
Not sure if my WHV was the same UCI but I used the same UCI as my PR for the BOWP. Are you applying for BOWP through an online account or by paper?

We are both employed but I don’t understand why I need to give my employers details and my jobs? Does the bowp lock us into our current jobs?
No it doesn't lock you in, a BOWP is an open work permit. The form is used for various reasons its fine to fill it in. I needed more space for past jobs and used LOE.

Does the AOR go in the LOE section?
Yes just upload a copy.

Is there anything else I should be watching out for?
Yes
-It is the majority opinion given on this forum and British expats that if your WHV runs out prior to your BOWP being approved (about 60 days last time I looked) you do not have implied status to work after expiry of your WHV and the approval of the BOWP. The reasoning given on the forums is because you cannot extend a WHV. I should also say that 3 separate IRCC officers told me that I did have implied status to work if my BOWP was not issued prior to my WHV expiring. (Confused yes I still am confused about this)
-Your SIN will expire when your WHV expires and cannot be renewed until you get your BOWP. This may cause problems if you change jobs as an expire SIN is flagged to new employers.
-If your PR CEC application is rejected for any reason your BOWP application will also be rejected.

-you cannot get a BOWP at the border by flagpolling.

I’ve read through a lot of this forum but I haven’t seen many questions about going from whv to a bowp so sorry if I am re-asking anything!
Possible background reading
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/implied-status-is-it-applicable-to-a-working-holiday-visa-permit.440846/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/working-holiday-visa-and-implied-status.251303/
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Implied_Status_after_an_IEC_Work_Permit_ends

Confusedperson

Aug 23, 2018
Thankyou so much!
I was a massive idiot and left out my aor on my supporting documents (I thought I combined it but I didn’t ) I’ve submitted everything and paid but it’s still not started being processed yet. Can I upload the aor somewhere or send it to cic through a case enquiry? or would it be easier to cancel the application and re-apply?

On the implied status I assume I will have it as I have applied for bowp and this is what I have read on the cic website, however do I need to give anything that my employer
to explain the expired sin?

(Also I’ve applied online not through paper)

Thankyou!

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
Thankyou so much!
I was a massive idiot and left out my aor on my supporting documents (I thought I combined it but I didn’t ) I’ve submitted everything and paid but it’s still not started being processed yet. Can I upload the aor somewhere or send it to cic through a case enquiry? or would it be easier to cancel the application and re-apply?

On the implied status I assume I will have it as I have applied for bowp and this is what I have read on the cic website, however do I need to give anything that my employer
to explain the expired sin?

(Also I’ve applied online not through paper)

Thankyou!
I would add it on a case specific enquiry form.
You will be OK on your SIN until expiry of your existing visa. After that date your employer may notice that the SIN has expired and they should reassure themselves you have the status to work. This will mean you may need to have a conversation with them about your status. In terms of the SIN, Service Canada are aware of this issue but are unable to extend or reissue your SIN until either PR or BOWP are approved. Their advice was to just continue using the existing number. Good Luck hopefully you will have your BOWP by 1st October.

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
can anyone tell me what else is needed to apply for BOWP beside the AOR?
From memory its an online application using form IMM5710 (2 sheets). You need your address, contact details, passport details, work history, dates of entry into Canada (original and latest). Details of your current valid work permit and your AOR. And C$255. If you have done a PR application you won't find it that hard. HTH

Reactions: vis14ndreamz

maria_786

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2013
thnx i applied for bowp 3 yrs ago by mail n thats all i used ...do u knw if flag polling can be done for bowp? my frnd is currently im pgwp n her work permit expires in 2 monts but she needs to visit family for an emergency n might not be able to come back before her pwgp expires

leka

Apr 12, 2018
Category........
Other
thnx i applied for bowp 3 yrs ago by mail n thats all i used ...do u knw if flag polling can be done for bowp? my frnd is currently im pgwp n her work permit expires in 2 monts but she needs to visit family for an emergency n might not be able to come back before her pwgp expires
as far as i heard you can only apply online, no flagpoling is allowed for BOWP..will she still have a valid visa? (or is she from visa exempt country?)

maria_786

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2013
as far as i heard you can only apply online, no flagpoling is allowed for BOWP..will she still have a valid visa? (or is she from visa exempt country?)
she has a visa till mid dec n she jst got an ITA 2 days ago so she will apply for her PR nxt week n then plan on leaving canada nxt month until she gets her PR then she will come back she sd, bcz she cant wait 2 months for the bowp to come in

Shree_UK

Sep 7, 2017
she has a visa till mid dec n she jst got an ITA 2 days ago so she will apply for her PR nxt week n then plan on leaving canada nxt month until she gets her PR then she will come back she sd, bcz she cant wait 2 months for the bowp to come in

Friends, if you have successful BOWP issued/approved or can answer few clarifications on BOWP, shall I request share your thoughts and experience. It would be great timely help, thanks in advance.

I am sorry if these clarifications are already answered multiple times in this forum; however, although I spent considerable time going through more than 250+ pages, felt very difficult, so would like to check it again.

Background details:

· I am Closed Work Permit (Intra Company Transfer) is expiring on 5th Oct 2018

· I am CEC Inland applied through EE, AOR:12th June 2018

· MEP and IP2-29th June 2018

· 29th Aug 2018 - I called CIC to check the status, Agent confirmed Eligibility: Passed (recommended Pass)

· Security-In-Progress, Criminality -In-progress

Below is what I have filled 5710E, want to confirm before I submit:

Q3: have checked “Apply for a work permit with the same employer” for the BOWP as I would continue to work for my current (Canada) Employer

1. Section Details of Intended work in Canada:

1. Q1: Open work Permit

2. Q2a: Name of Employer: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (My current Employer full name)

3. Q2b: Complete Address of Employer: xxxxxxxx (Address of my current employer)

4. Q3. Intended location: xxxxxx, ON (my current work location, Province). Otherwise for Address: I mentioned it as "Open work Permit - Not Applicable"

5. Q4. My Occupation in Canada will be: Job Title: "-----"(left blank, mere to complete online application validation I have entered – (5 times))

6. Brief description of duties: entered "------" (left blank, mere to complete validation of this online form have entered – (5 times))

7. Duration of expected employment: From: 2018-10-05 (my current closed Work permit expiry date), To: 2019-10-04 (one day less than 1 year)

RUK

Dec 1, 2015
I have some questions about a BOWP application, and I am wondering if I could get some feedback from seniors or those with knowledge and experience. Your prompt response and effort will be greatly appreciated.

Background: BOWP application, CEC Inland EE applicant, currently on PGWP.

1. Under optional documents there is a Schedule 1 - Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada (IMM5257). First of all, it says 'made outside' and secondly, I understand that it is an optional document. However, is it optional for everyone or only applicants from visa-exempt countries?

2. I am applying for one or more of the following: a) Apply for a work permit with the same employer OR b) Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer. Which option should be selected? I do not think that it would be 'restore your status as a worker'.

3. Personal Details section: Current country of residence: Canada and status is worker, but what should be mentioned in the 'from date' field? The date from your work permit or the date since you first arrived in Canada as a student?

4. Coming into Canada section: If applicable, provide the document number of the most recent Visitor Record, Study Permit, Work Permit or Temporary Resident Permit issued to you. Not sure what they mean here or what document number to provide?

5. Details of Intended Work in Canada section: What type of work permit are you applying for, Open Work Permit? For questions 02 – 08, no information is required and should be left blank?

6. Employment section: Give details of your employment for the past 10 years, including if you have held any government positions (such as civil servant, judge, police officer, mayor, member of parliament, hospital administrator.) Should you list your on or off campus part-time work experience in Canada? There are only 03 spaces provided for employment details, but if you have more, then where should you list the rest?

7. Document Checklist: Application Form (IMM5710), Passport, Photo, Medical Exam, and LOE (cover letter & AOR). Is there any other document required for a BOWP application?

Thank you for your time and patience.

saudagar2018

Jun 18, 2018
Hello Friends, ====Need Urgent Help===

My post graduate work permit is going to expire on Jan-12-2019. I am applying for BOWP.,., I am stuck in few options which I am gonna mention below.

Q1. I am applying for one or more of the following?

a. Apply for a work permit with the same employer
b. Restore my status as a worker
c. Apply for work permit for the first time or with a new employer
d. Get a new temporary resident permit

"I have changed employer working with new employer"

Q2. Details of intended work in Canada?

from 1 to 8 ------ do I need to provide all the information---specially "Duration of expected employment"

Q3. Employment

As the options are limited here I can't give my 10 years employment history.

Q4. What documents I need to attach with this application.

regards,

Amar

hgunawa

Jan 8, 2017
Hello Friends, ====Need Urgent Help===

My post graduate work permit is going to expire on Jan-12-2019. I am applying for BOWP.,., I am stuck in few options which I am gonna mention below.

Q1. I am applying for one or more of the following?

a. Apply for a work permit with the same employer
b. Restore my status as a worker
c. Apply for work permit for the first time or with a new employer
d. Get a new temporary resident permit

"I have changed employer working with new employer"

Q2. Details of intended work in Canada?

from 1 to 8 ------ do I need to provide all the information---specially "Duration of expected employment"

Q3. Employment

As the options are limited here I can't give my 10 years employment history.

Q4. What documents I need to attach with this application.

regards,

Amar
Q1. I chose A but you can choose C as well.
Q2. Doesn't need to be an exact date if you are a permanent employee, but I provided 1 year believe
Q3. What did you fill for your PR application and PGWP applications? They should ideally match.
Q3. Most of the docs should be already with you from your PR application. So, photos, passport scans, application form, your AOR document after submitting your PR application. These are off the top of my head.

Here's a step by step guide on how to apply for BOWP.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aZyVqQk84tyZiHI8bQq9k2iWpZjTQl4eGw9YISEDTqg/pub

saudagar2018

Jun 18, 2018
Q1. I chose A but you can choose C as well.
Q2. Doesn't need to be an exact date if you are a permanent employee, but I provided 1 year believe
Q3. What did you fill for your PR application and PGWP applications? They should ideally match.
Q3. Most of the docs should be already with you from your PR application. So, photos, passport scans, application form, your AOR document after submitting your PR application. These are off the top of my head.

Here's a step by step guide on how to apply for BOWP.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aZyVqQk84tyZiHI8bQq9k2iWpZjTQl4eGw9YISEDTqg/pub
I am not cleared in particular section of the form. I am gonna ask again (sorry to bother you).

* Details of intended work in Canada.

What type of work permit are you applying for?

Open Work Permit ---- I selected this one...

* Rest of options "Should I leave these blank except only choosing "Open Work Permit".

a. Name of employer
b. Complete address
c. Intended location of employment in Canada
d. My Occupation in Canada will
e. Brief description of duties
f. Duration of expected employment

regards,

Amar

hgunawa

Jan 8, 2017
I am not cleared in particular section of the form. I am gonna ask again (sorry to bother you).

* Details of intended work in Canada.

What type of work permit are you applying for?

Open Work Permit ---- I selected this one...

* Rest of options "Should I leave these blank except only choosing "Open Work Permit".

a. Name of employer
b. Complete address
c. Intended location of employment in Canada
d. My Occupation in Canada will
e. Brief description of duties
f. Duration of expected employment

regards,

Amar
Correct about the open work permit.

Rest of the options, you absolutely must fill in these information to the best of your abilities. Duration of the employment, you can put as 1 year.