+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP - Bridging Open Work Permit

jobseeker2019

Nov 14, 2019
Hi There,

My closed Work Permit is ending in 5 months and I have recently submitted my PR application/documents (post receiving ITA obviously :)).
My employer doesn't provide any documents to their employees specific to PR application.

That's why, I am in need to apply for BOWP, and have few basic questions regarding the same:

Q1:
Can I apply for BOWP on my own or do I need to request any sort of documentation from my Employer (which I won't be getting)?
As, my employer doesn't provide any documentation specific to PR application.

Q2:
If I am good to apply BOWP without requesting any documentation from Employer, please help and let me know the details of those documents.

Q3:
What if my employer doesn't extend my current Closed work permit; is there any other request/form that I can apply to stay and continue working legally?

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
When you get an AoR after submitting a complete EE application (post ITA) it will contain requirements and instructions on how to apply for a BOWP. Your employer need not participate, but if your "employer doesn't provide any documentation specific to PR application" did you get a work experience letter from him to complete your application?

jobseeker2019

Nov 14, 2019
When you get an AoR after submitting a complete EE application (post ITA) it will contain requirements and instructions on how to apply for a BOWP. Your employer need not participate, but if your "employer doesn't provide any documentation specific to PR application" did you get a work experience letter from him to complete your application?
Thanks for replying.
Well, in terms of work experience my employer has provided me experience certificate with my joining date mentioned on company's letter head and mentioning that, currently I am working for that employer.
However, while looking at BOWP requirements, it asks for below documentation:

What you need to do before the temporary worker can apply to extend their permit
Before they can apply to extend or renew their work permit, you need to either

• apply for a new LMIA from Employment and Social Development Canada/Service Canada,
or

• submit a new offer of employment, and
  • pay the employer compliance fee if you don’t need an LMIA.
The above mentioned information is also present at following link:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/hire-foreign-worker/temporary/extend-permit.html

As, I am currently employed in Canada and employer is not providing LMIA or renewed/new offer letter (which are the required documents for BOWP, how do I need to apply BOWP), and planning to send me back to my native country, but I want to continue working in Canada only.

Still, even if I am eligible to apply BOWP do I need to arrange a new employment first, get the offer letter and then file BOWP. Or I can apply BOWP even if I quit this job and then arrange a new employment.

Thanks in advance for your response.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
Let's back up.
You received an ITA in Express Entry and you've uploaded all of the required documentation At the end of the process you received an AoR pdf, acknowledging that you had submitted a complete application in Express Entry - yes or no.

What you quoted above are general instructions for workers, not specifically for EE applicants seeking a BOWP.

jobseeker2019

Nov 14, 2019
Let's back up.
You received an ITA in Express Entry and you've uploaded all of the required documentation At the end of the process you received an AoR pdf, acknowledging that you had submitted a complete application in Express Entry - yes or no.

What you quoted above are general instructions for workers, not specifically for EE applicants seeking a BOWP.
Yes Correct.
I received ITA under CEC-EE, submitted/uploaded all my documents and received AOR pdf.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
And does the AoR pdf not say 'if you are within 4 months of your work permit expiring you can use this letter to apply for a BOWP?
And if it does, why haven't you simply followed those instruction?

jobseeker2019

Nov 14, 2019
And does the AoR pdf not say 'if you are within 4 months of your work permit expiring you can use this letter to apply for a BOWP?
And if it does, why haven't you simply followed those instruction?
Even if I just clicked on the same link given in AOR pdf, it takes me to the same link, where it asks for offer letter or LMIA provided by employer

d13

Jun 9, 2020
Yes we received letter after submitting the PR application..like the application was received by immigration .....this type of letter

affan hussain

Dec 1, 2015
Hi,

I am currently on a open WP which is about to expire in 2 months. I would like to apply BWOP but the processing time on CIC website is 192 days!
Can anyone please tell if they applied for BW during pandemic?
How long did it took them to get the visa?
I want to apply online.
Anyones help will be much appreciated!
Thank you