+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Born In USA of Canadian Born Parents....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
If Clinton won the presidency, would these same people still be claiming for citizenship through descent. They probably had no desire to claim it until trump came along. That sounds like they are sore losers and doesn't want to accept reality. Sounds like they want to keep status quo like the Liberals in Canada.
So maybe Canada is right for them then :) In any case, no need to be sore about it but plenty of people do have the right to another citizenship and sometimes it takes something happening in their country that they don't like for them to get off their butt and consider a move. Some US citizens are also looking into European or other heritage if they have that option.

I know someone who moved to Europe a few years ago after managing to arrange an Italian passport based on a grandparent. At the same time, there are people in Europe too who are looking to move to Canada based on dual citizenship. If your country doesn't suit you and you can move, then why not? In some cases, they will find though that the grass wasn't greener on the other side after all and they will go back home.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
alphazip said:
So the thrust of your argument is, since you favour Trump, duals who don't like him should be forced to live in the USA and take what he dishes out. Why is it that people fleeing despots from around the world can come to Canada, but duals from the USA should not? I am such a dual, who moved here during the G.W. Bush era. I didn't like him and I don't like Trump. My family has been here since Confederation. My grandfather fought for Canada during WWI, and I graduated from a Canadian university years ago. Yet, because I happened to be born on the other side of the border, I have no right to be here? I don't think so.
BTW: There is a difference between fleeing a country run by dictatorship and fleeing a country run by an elected president by it's own people.
It is pretty sad that you are making an comparison whereby people's lives are at stake in a dictatorship country to people living in US.

Obama's policies and inaction for the past 8 years has led to the results of this election.

There is a proverb for this.

"You made the bed you lie in"

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
BTW: There is a difference between fleeing a country run by dictatorship and fleeing a country run by an elected president by it's own people.
It is pretty sad that you are making an comparison whereby people's lives are at stake in a dictatorship country to people living in US.

Obama's policies and inaction for the past 8 years has led to the results of this election.

Well, Vladimir Putin was elected by his own people and so was Bashar al-Assad, to name two strongmen of the type you seem to admire. So, the fact of being elected doesn't mean that the person isn't a threat to civilization.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
alphazip said:
Well, Vladimir Putin was elected by his own people and so was Bashar al-Assad, to name two strongmen of the type you seem to admire. So, the fact of being elected doesn't mean that the person isn't a threat to civilization.
Again there is a difference between free election and election under threat or election of "one party".

Remember Crimea which held a referendum under threat of hidden russian soldiers.

According to your logic of my admiration, I must love Trudeau as he has an admiration for China and Cuba as well.

Again you like to compare freely elected president to those "elected" dictatorship whereby election wasn't obviously free.

You seems to admire no accountability in one own's decisions or actions.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
Again there is a difference between free election and election under threat or election of "one party".

Remember Crimea which held a referendum under threat of hidden russian soldiers.

According to your logic of my admiration, I must love Trudeau as he has an admiration for China and Cuba as well.

Again you like to compare freely elected president to those "elected" dictatorship whereby election wasn't obviously free.

You seems to admire no accountability in one own's decisions or actions.
Sure I admire accountability. A bunch of know nothings elected a totally unfit person to be President of the United States. (As Trump himself said: "I love the poorly educated!") I'm quite happy that those people who elected him stay in the United States to enjoy the incompetent person they put in office. Those who didn't vote for him and have the desire (and ability) to leave, should. That's called free will. Trump and Putin have expressed mutual admiration for each other (Trump claimed Putin called him a "genius"), and Trump has said that he wants to govern in Putin's style. So, that's the similarity.

DaveB

Nov 10, 2016
alphazip said:
As of April 17, 2009, it doesn't matter if his birth was registered or not. Virtually every person born outside Canada to a parent born in Canada is a Canadian citizen.

My grandad was born in Scotland , his wife in England..they emigrated to Canada about 1912, my father was born in Alberta in 1922 and subsequently the family moved here to the US and became naturalized US citizens in the late 20's .I was born here in the USA in 1948 . Can I claim Canadian Citizenship by virtue of my dad having been born in Canada? Is there any carryover for UK due to my Grandad and Grandma being from there?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DaveB said:
My grandad was born in Scotland , his wife in England..they emigrated to Canada about 1912, my father was born in Alberta in 1922 and subsequently the family moved here to the US and became naturalized US citizens in the late 20's .I was born here in the USA in 1948 . Can I claim Canadian Citizenship by virtue of my dad having been born in Canada? Is there any carryover for UK due to my Grandad and Grandma being from there?
Since your father became a U.S. citizen in the 1920s, he ceased to be a British subject, and so did not become a Canadian citizen in 1947. However, due to changes to the Citizenship Act made in 2015 (not those made in 2009), he (if he was living) and you became Canadian citizens. If you have children born in the USA, however, they did not inherit Canadian citizenship.

Interestingly, if your father had not lost his British subject status before 1949 (when the British Nationality Act took effect), you would also have inherited British citizenship. As it is, you only qualify for an Ancestry Visa, which only applies if you care to work in Britain: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Ancestry_Entry_Clearance

DaveB

Nov 10, 2016
alphazip said:
Since your father became a U.S. citizen in the 1920s, he ceased to be a British subject, and so did not become a Canadian citizen in 1947. However, due to changes to the Citizenship Act made in 2015 (not those made in 2009), he (if he was living) and you became Canadian citizens. If you have children born in the USA, however, they did not inherit Canadian citizenship.

Interestingly, if your father had not lost his British subject status before 1949 (when the British Nationality Act took effect), you would also have inherited British citizenship. As it is, you only qualify for an Ancestry Visa, which only applies if you care to work in Britain:

Thanks.. I did some additional hunting..and found dad's birth certificate from Alberta, and his US citizenship papers, he actually became a US Citizen in 1930, does that have any effect on this?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DaveB said:
Thanks.. I did some additional hunting..and found dad's birth certificate from Alberta, and his US citizenship papers, he actually became a US Citizen in 1930, does that have any effect on this?
No, it doesn't. Everything is the same. You're a Canadian citizen, but not a British citizen. The British element comes from what could be considered a fluke in the British Nationality Act. It applies to people born to British subject fathers in 1947 & 1948 who did not become Canadian citizens before 1949 (because their birth wasn't registered). So, you were born in the right year, but your father wasn't a British subject when you were born.

DaveB

Nov 10, 2016
alphazip said:
No, it doesn't. Everything is the same. You're a Canadian citizen, but not a British citizen. The British element comes from what could be considered a fluke in the British Nationality Act. It applies to people born to British subjects in 1947 & 1948 who did not become Canadian citizens before 1949 (because their birth wasn't registered). So, you were born in the right year, but your father wasn't a British subject when you were born.

Ok.. one last .. turns out Grandad served in the Canadian army in WWI... before coming to the US to become a citizen here in 1930.. probably no difference ..but just thought I would check to see if that had any bearing on the UK issue..thanks for all your help.. you've been great...Dave

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DaveB said:
Ok.. one last .. turns out Grandad served in the Canadian army in WWI... before coming to the US to become a citizen here in 1930.. probably no difference ..but just thought I would check to see if that had any bearing on the UK issue..thanks for all your help.. you've been great...Dave
No, his service in the Canadian army years before becoming a U.S. citizen makes no difference. Before 1949, British subject status was lost upon taking a foreign citizenship.

As a point of interest, though, you should be able to locate your grandfather's service record here:

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/search.aspx

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
screech339 said:

What makes you think people's lives aren't at stake as a result of Trump's election? He ran an openly racist, xenophobic campaign attacking everyone from immigrants to the disabled. Even if he does not a single thing more to advance this agenda as President, he has enabled the worst elements in society and the worst instincts in people. Daily life will get nastier and more abusive. The most vulnerable people will suffer. Some of them will die. If an American also happens to be a Canadian and desires to escape all of this, they are free to come in. Hell, I have 20 acres they can pitch a trailer on if they want. If they want to stay and fight Trump's bigotry then more power to them, but if they'd rather not deal it with it on a daily basis they can exercise their mobility rights under Canadian law, if they decide.

DaveB

Nov 10, 2016
alphazip said:
No, his service in the Canadian army years before becoming a U.S. citizen makes no difference. Before 1949, British subject status was lost upon taking a foreign citizenship.

As a point of interest, though, you should be able to locate your grandfather's service record here:

Thank you!.. Now here's a Twilight Zone moment.. I found grandads enlistment papers ,and the date he signed up was Nov. 12, 1914...then I realized that it was Nov. 12, 2016 that I was reading them!...(theme music gets louder.....).. Thanks for everything..

nope

Oct 3, 2015
screech339 said:

Well, someone's been watching too much Fox News!

Since the OP has two beds, why shouldn't they choose which one they lie in?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
nope said:
Well, someone's been watching too much Fox News!

Since the OP has two beds, why shouldn't they choose which one they lie in?
You obviously not getting the point of the proverb. It's the inaction and inability of bringing "hope and change" that 8 years of Obama failed to achieved. This lead to the result of voting in Trump from people who wanted change that didn't get it from Obama. In other words, the election of Trump is repudiation of Obama's policies.

The people who are looking for citizenship through descent and moving to Canada who didn't like the result of trump election, doesn't want to accept responsibility that bringing in Obama to the White House and it's 8 years of Obama's policies that brought in Trump.

Don't get the Fox News here. Frankly don't want to watch that news channel. Too hard core GOP supporter to the point they are now entertaining to watch.