+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Born In USA of Canadian Born Parents....

DrunkenBear

Nov 9, 2016
I'm hoping someone can give me the correct process to begin claiming my Canadian Citizenship, or at least a link that will help.

I was born in 1958 in the USA while my parents where living there on a work visa.
All of us moved back to Canada in 1959 and remained there until approx 1965 when we moved back to the USA.
It is easy to prove my USA citizenship via birth certificate, etc..., however what would be the correct process to begin the process for claiming my Canadian birthright.

I would like to move back to Canada in the very near future.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
DrunkenBear said:
I'm hoping someone can give me the correct process to begin claiming my Canadian Citizenship, or at least a link that will help.

I was born in 1958 in the USA while my parents where living there on a work visa.
All of us moved back to Canada in 1959 and remained there until approx 1965 when we moved back to the USA.
It is easy to prove my USA citizenship via birth certificate, etc..., however what would be the correct process to begin the process for claiming my Canadian birthright.

I would like to move back to Canada in the very near future.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
When were your parents born in Canada or when were they naturalized?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
DrunkenBear said:
thecoolguysam: Both parents were born in Canada in the 1920s.
Father served in Canadian Navy during WWII.
Did you try this link:

www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules/

If not, please try and let us know if you have any questions.

DrunkenBear

Nov 9, 2016
thecoolguysam: Thank you for the info... unfortunately the site keeps going down, but I will keep trying and post my findings.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is a forest of old rules when it comes to citizenship. During certain years, your parents might have had to register your birth abroad within a certain time and who knows if they did.

In any case, you can find the application for a citizenship certificate here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
There is a forest of old rules when it comes to citizenship. During certain years, your parents might have had to register your birth abroad within a certain time and who knows if they did.

In any case, you can find the application for a citizenship certificate here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp
As of April 17, 2009, it doesn't matter if his birth was registered or not. Virtually every person born outside Canada to a parent born in Canada is a Canadian citizen.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DrunkenBear said:
thecoolguysam: Both parents were born in Canada in the 1920s.
Father served in Canadian Navy during WWII.
The simple answer is yes, you are a Canadian citizen as of April 17, 2009, but retroactive to your date of birth. If you have American-born children, however, they are not Canadian citizens by descent.

The application for proof of Canadian citizenship is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
Too many Americans are now trying to use citizenship by descent to leave US.

Much the same as britons of german nationality trying to get german citizenship to access EU.
Too many? Either a person is or is not a Canadian citizen. If they are, and want to live in Canada, they have the right to do so.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, they may have had the right to citizenship all along but suddenly want to claim it now :)

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
alphazip said:
Too many? Either a person is or is not a Canadian citizen. If they are, and want to live in Canada, they have right to do so.
Leon made my point. They all of a sudden want to make a claim for citizenship after all this time?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
Leon made my point. They all of a sudden want to make a claim for citizenship after all this time?
Isn't this forum about immigrants seeking citizenship? Well, if an American wants to move to Canada and he/she is already a Canadian citizen, what is bad about that? Nearly everyone on this forum is an immigrant of one kind or another. Canada accepted you to live here. Why do you want to keep others out?

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
you are a Canadian citizen by descent period! But your children are not and you have to move to Canada and initiate the process to sponsor them to Canada if they are unmarried and below 18, if not they have to apply on their own merits which is extremely difficult if they are not highly skilled worker and have a job offer in Canada

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
alphazip said:
Isn't this forum about immigrants seeking citizenship? Well, if an American wants to move to Canada and he/she is already a Canadian citizen, what is bad about that? Nearly everyone on this forum is an immigrant of one kind or another. Canada accepted you to live here. Why do you want to keep others out?
If Clinton won the presidency, would these same people still be claiming for citizenship through descent. They probably had no desire to claim it until trump came along. That sounds like they are sore losers and doesn't want to accept reality. Sounds like they want to keep status quo like the Liberals in Canada.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
If Clinton won the presidency, would these same people still be claiming for citizenship through descent. They probably had no desire to claim it until trump came along. That sounds like they are sore losers and doesn't want to accept reality. Sounds like they want to keep status quo like the Liberals in Canada.
So the thrust of your argument is, since you favour Trump, duals who don't like him should be forced to live in the USA and take what he dishes out. Why is it that people fleeing despots from around the world can come to Canada, but duals from the USA should not? I am such a dual, who moved here during the G.W. Bush era. I didn't like him and I don't like Trump. My family has been here since Confederation. My grandfather fought for Canada during WWI, and I graduated from a Canadian university years ago. Yet, because I happened to be born on the other side of the border, I have no right to be here? I don't think so.