+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Border reopen for asylum seekers

ola007

Mar 13, 2021
Hi everyone,
Please, i do need help. I am currently in the USA with my 15 month daughter and i am intending to seek asylum in Canada through the land border. Does anyone know when the border will reopen for asylum seekers? I heard 21st of march 2021 but i don't know if that includes land border for asylum seekers.

My second question is that i have a brother in Canada, and i have some people telling me to say i don't have anyone in Canada because if i do, they wont give me necessary benefits to help me settle down. They said they will tell my family to take care of me instead, but my brother is just settling down and i know he cant take care of me. I don't want to lie because i don't want any issues down the line if they find out i actually have someone, but I would need benefits till i can get a job to take care of me and my baby... so to tell them i have a brother, or not?

Please any information on these two issues world ne welcome.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,
Please, i do need help. I am currently in the USA with my 15 month daughter and i am intending to seek asylum in Canada through the land border. Does anyone know when the border will reopen for asylum seekers? I heard 21st of march 2021 but i don't know if that includes land border for asylum seekers.

My second question is that i have a brother in Canada, and i have some people telling me to say i don't have anyone in Canada because if i do, they wont give me necessary benefits to help me settle down. They said they will tell my family to take care of me instead, but my brother is just settling down and i know he cant take care of me. I don't want to lie because i don't want any issues down the line if they find out i actually have someone, but I would need benefits till i can get a job to take care of me and my baby... so to tell them i have a brother, or not?

Currently the US / Canadian border is closed until March 21st. I think it's pretty much guaranteed this is going to be extended further.

You should never lie. That only creates problems later. Having a brother in Canada works to your advantage. You can claim asylum at a regular border crossing since you fall under an exemption to the Safe Third Country agreement due to having a brother in Canada.

Jon0003

Star Member
Feb 6, 2021
Hi everyone,

Hi, I first wish you all the best, for you and your daughter.
The border is officially closed until further notice, so if you really need to come here, do it as soon as the border opens. Things might get a little harder now cause US is believed to be a safe place for refugees under President Biden. I don't know your history but just wanted this to point out.

Do not eve lie to the officers. They don't care if you have a brother here or not. Just because you have brother doesn't ever meant he should care of you! (unless he sponsoring you, which he's not), so don't eve lie to them. If you need help, tell them you need help, they won't even ask about your brother even if you told them.

ola007

Mar 13, 2021
Currently the US / Canadian border is closed until March 21st. I think it's pretty much guaranteed this is going to be extended further.

You should never lie. That only creates problems later. Having a brother in Canada works to your advantage. You can claim asylum at a regular border crossing since you fall under an exemption to the Safe Third Country agreement due to having a brother in Canada.
thank you very much...I didn't think it was a smart choice to lie also. That is why I came here to seek opinion because people just keep telling me different things.

ola007

Mar 13, 2021
Hi, I first wish you all the best, for you and your daughter.
The border is officially closed until further notice, so if you really need to come here, do it as soon as the border opens. Things might get a little harder now cause US is believed to be a safe place for refugees under President Biden. I don't know your history but just wanted this to point out.

Do not eve lie to the officers. They don't care if you have a brother here or not. Just because you have brother doesn't ever meant he should care of you! (unless he sponsoring you, which he's not), so don't eve lie to them. If you need help, tell them you need help, they won't even ask about your brother even if you told them.
Thank you very much. I appreciate your response. I also feel soooo relived that i don't have to lie because i believe if you tell a lie, you need to tell a 100 more lies to cover it up. I have always been 100 percent honest with my immigration fillings because I know how challenging it can be if caught in a lie.
I was just worried about getting help settling down before I get a job especially because of my baby.
As per my history, its simple but unfortunately, i don't qualify for adjustment of status and i have passed the one year mark for seeking asylum here. Although every thing that happened to me here was no fault of mine, I just happened to be a collateral damage and I was asked to leave, but leaving will cost me and my baby our lives.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you very much. I appreciate your response. I also feel soooo relived that i don't have to lie because i believe if you tell a lie, you need to tell a 100 more lies to cover it up. I have always been 100 percent honest with my immigration fillings because I know how challenging it can be if caught in a lie.
I was just worried about getting help settling down before I get a job especially because of my baby.
As per my history, its simple but unfortunately, i don't qualify for adjustment of status and i have passed the one year mark for seeking asylum here. Although every thing that happened to me here was no fault of mine, I just happened to be a collateral damage and I was asked to leave, but leaving will cost me and my baby our lives.
Would suggest speaking to a Canadian immigration lawyer before crossing into Canada. Canada has become tougher on those who have been living in the US and have not been denied asylum in the US yet come to Canada to file an asylum case. Was your child born in the US? How long have you been in the US? Do you have an active claim in the US? Once you cross into Canada you can't easily cross back to the US. The Biden administration may also make a big difference in cases where people have come from the US. Assume there is a chance you may be from Mexico. Asylum is far from guaranteed in Canada. I've attached a case of other asylum seekers who assumed asylum was guaranteed and discovered otherwise.

Reactions: ola007

ola007

Mar 13, 2021
Would suggest speaking to a Canadian immigration lawyer before crossing into Canada. Canada has become tougher on those who have been living in the US and have not been denied asylum in the US yet come to Canada to file an asylum case. Was your child born in the US? How long have you been in the US? Do you have an active claim in the US? Once you cross into Canada you can't easily cross back to the US. The Biden administration may also make a big difference in cases where people have come from the US. Assume there is a chance you may be from Mexico. Asylum is far from guaranteed in Canada. I've attached a case of other asylum seekers who assumed asylum was guaranteed and discovered otherwise.
Thank you for your response. yes, my baby was born in US and i don't have an active claim here anymore. I am also African. I will look into contacting a lawyer, but i really don't have any choice than to come soon as the border is opened.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your response. yes, my baby was born in US and i don't have an active claim here anymore. I am also African. I will look into contacting a lawyer, but i really don't have any choice than to come soon as the border is opened.
Under some circumstances it's still possible to claim asylum in the U.S. after one year. It may be worthwhile to look into this before you leave the U.S. for Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you have been in the US for over 15 months that can certainly impact your Canadian asylum claim. You also said you don't have a claim "anymore". Did you withdraw your claim in the US? All these things will impact your claim in Canada. You really need to speak to a lawyer in Canada. Your claim is definitely not straightforward and contrary to what people may think Canada does deny asylum claims.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You also said you don't have a claim "anymore". Did you withdraw your claim in the US?
I think OP is referring to the rule regarding claiming asylum within a year of arriving in the U.S.

Jst101

Mar 13, 2021
Under some circumstances it's still possible to claim asylum in the U.S. after one year. It may be worthwhile to look into this before you leave the U.S. for Canada.
Hi, you seem to have a knowledge regarding immigration proceedings , I have a question, need some desperate advice. Pls reply. Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So you did qualify for AOS but withdrew it? If you had an option to legalize your status in the US but didn’t that will be highlighted in your asylum claim.
OP's husband withdrew sponsorship (not the OP). AOS was through the husband. Think like Canadian spousal sponsorship.

Reactions: ola007