+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Border Crossing Question

USjason

Dec 2, 2013
Hey Board!

Sorry I haven't written in a while but things have been very hectic. Just as a brief refresher, I am a US Citizen trying to immigrate to Canada to be with someone I love. I had spent the past month researching LMO's and they are so hard to get, not to mention, definitely not the best jobs but beggars can't be choosers!! I applied for a few Alberta Government jobs because if they hire you, they sponsor you. Well, great news! I have a confirmed interview in Edmonton on February 20th and I am so excited. As I mentioned before, I am driving from South Carolina so once I cross the border I plan on staying for the maximum of 6 months (unless I get the job). After 6 months I would request an extension to qualify for common law but now that this interview has turned up, I hope I don't need that.

my question is, many of you said in the past that when I cross the border I should only tell them that I am visiting for 2 weeks. The drive is 2,600 miles and I was afraid that that may throw up some red flags if they ask why I drove so far for 2 weeks. Not to mention, I have flown there 5 times in 3 months and each time I go through customs they ask more and more questions. So, would it be wise to instead tell them that I am there for an interview with the Albertan Government or should I leave it as I am just visiting still? I am concerned that if I tell them that I am there for an interview that it may throw up some flags and they may limit my stay so I need to tell them the best answer so that they grant me access and I can stay for the 6 months just in case the job doesn't pan out.

Thank you again for all of your time and assistance!!

Jason Cartier

Gogia

Feb 19, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
just for visit is best option..u can stay 6 months...then leave...other option is risky...my opinion..

USjason

Dec 2, 2013
Gogia said:
just for visit is best option..u can stay 6 months...then leave...other option is risky...my opinion..
That's sort of what I was thinking too. I think if I mentioned the word job that it would raise some red flags. I can either cross into Sask through Estevan or Alberta through Lethbridge. Any idea on which border may be easier? For example, I do much better clearing customs when I fly through Toronto then I do when I fly into Edmonton

Thanks for your advice!!

USjason

Dec 2, 2013
Gogia said:
i heard alberta is better...its busier i think. ..
Thank you again. I must say, I am just as lost now as I was 2 months ago trying to figure out how to immigrate but it looks like it is starting to come together.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think there's an easier border crossing, per se, except in the sense that some are not nearly as congested as others are.

Do you have any real concerns about entry into Canada, other than the `story' that you give the border officer? If not, just pick the one that's closest in your planned route. :)

The distance that you're driving, even if it were only a 2 week stay, seems reasonable. After all, most people that drive across the border during their vacation probably drive just as far and only stay for 2 weeks. Unless you say that you're going to be here for 2 weeks and the BO actually stamps your passport and writes something along the lines of `must depart by x date', you should still, technically have the full 6 months that you are entitled to. Maybe, say something like "I'm planning to stay a couple of weeks", which would be the truth. You ARE planning to stay 2 weeks, but...if your plans change...and you have not stayed beyond 6 months...you should still be fine. I am NOT in any way suggesting that you intentionally lie at the border, but if your plans are a little vague...welllll. ;)

Good luck with the job interview...and your new life!

USjason

Dec 2, 2013
Thanks Ponga!

No, I don't have anything to hide or any concerns, I just don't want to say the wrong thing and get a time imposed on me shorter than the 6 month maximum. If I get the job, then they grant me immediate PR and the 6 months won't matter. But if I do not get the job then I plan on staying anyways and then just asking for an extension near the end as I try to find an LMO job instead. It seems like every time I cross they are asking more and more questions. The first time they were like, welcome to Canada. This past time they wanted names, addresses, why I was there so often, etc. I am not going back again until I drive so that I can give my passport stamp dates a bit of a break. I think it honestly depends on the officer that you get.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your last sentence says it all...it all depends on who you get!

When I met my common-law partner, I was visiting Canada at least once a month (from ~1200 miles away, always by air) for about 8 months, and have had all sorts of questions, but was never denied entry. I later moved to a border town (for obvious reasons) and began to cross the border almost daily. Sometimes for the day (or night :-*) but sometimes for weeks or a few months at a time...and never had a problem at all.

I hate to say it, but the fact that you're coming from a visa exempt country, especially the U S of A, eh (lol)...makes it substantially easier than many others who are undoubtedly just as much in love as you and your partner are.

It sounds like you should have no trouble at all.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
USjason said:
If I get the job, then they grant me immediate PR and the 6 months won't matter.
If you get the job, you DO NOT get immediate PR. Economic PR applications usually take at least a year to process.

USjason

Dec 2, 2013
canuck_in_uk said:
If you get the job, you DO NOT get immediate PR. Economic PR applications usually take at least a year to process.
Honestly I have no idea, they way they explained it was that since I would be employed by the province, then they would automatically process me as a provincial sponsorship and since they are the government they would be able to process it quickly. Is provincial sponsorship different then the economic PR application that you mentioned?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
USjason said:
Honestly I have no idea, they way they explained it was that since I would be employed by the province, then they would automatically process me as a provincial sponsorship and since they are the government they would be able to process it quickly. Is provincial sponsorship different then the economic PR application that you mentioned?
Yes - provincial sponsorship is an economic class. Quickly and immediate are two different things. Immediate doesn't exist for PR. For those going through the economic classes, "quickly" is a year or less. We're certainly not talking about days here...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
USjason said:
You should really start to read up on the process. PNP has 2 parts, first the provincial and then the federal.

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrating/ainp.aspx
http://www.cic.gc.ca/enGlIsh/immigrate/provincial/index.asp

If you are going to work for them while the PR app processes, you will need a work permit as well. I know that those who have been nominated by a province don't require an LMO to get a work permit; however, the nomination process takes quite some time (minimum of 6 months in Alberta), and I believe that a positive LMO is still required in meantime to get a work permit. That's something that you'll have to discuss with the employer.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp

USjason

Dec 2, 2013
Re: Border Crossing Question - I MADE IT lol

Well, border crossing was EXTREMELY easy at the Sawgrass Crossing. I had 2 pieces of luggage visible in the back seat but the trunk was loaded with boxes. They asked a few basic questions and waved me right on through. All that worrying for nothing, lol. My interview in Calgary went GREAT and I just received a phone call from the government's human resources letting me know that I aced the interview and that they are starting my background checks. Hopefully this will pan out because I am trying my best to avoid the LMO procedure, I would much rather enter as a skilled worker through a Albertan sponsorship. A HUGE thanks to EVERYONE who has been helping me with information and advice over the past 3 months. Everyone was so helpful and the information was so accurate that my transition from the States to Canada has been rather flawless so far!!

USjason

Dec 2, 2013
Job Offer Received - LMO Question

Hey Board!

It's been a few weeks since I've been on here but I wanted to share with everyone that I was able to obtain a job offer. I had to go under the LMO program but in the employment offer they specifically wrote that they reserve the right at any time to promote the employee to a senior position so hopefully that is a good sign. I met with a consultant at the Temporary Foreign Workers office here in Edmonton and she was great to talk with but I have a few questions that I have tried to research online but I am getting conflicting answers. If any of you have a few minutes, could you give me some additional insight on the following questions?

1. The offer of employment indicated that the employer was completing all of the LMO paperwork and they will notify me when it is received. They said that they are trying to get it finalized in a 2 week window but that it could take as long as May. Does the LMO paperwork also include my work permit or is that something additional that need to obtain?

2. Once I get my work permit, is that the best time to apply for my SIN? My biggest rush to get my SIN is that I can't open up a bank account until I have that number. Strangely, I qualified for a cell phone with no money down even without one. The gentleman at the phone store said that he had never seen that before.

3. Since I am trying to obtain my PR status through the LMO process, how does that process work? Can I apply as soon as I begin employment or are there other requirements that have to be met?

Thank you again for all of your time and assistance. My past 5 weeks in Canada have been amazing and relocating here from the US was one of the best decisions that I have ever made. Other then the cold everything is perfect lol.

Hope you all have a great remainder of the weekend!!

Jason