+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Border Crossing and TRV

nix8

Apr 9, 2013
Hi everyone,

I just received my CoPR and the PR visa from CPP - Ottawa. I'm currently residing in Canada with a work visa. When I go to the border to activate the landed status next weekend, will the border officer void my work visa? The reason I'm asking is because I have scheduled a trip to Cuba in May (before I can get my PR card in the mail). When I return from my vacation, can I use my work visa to get through the border (I'm under the impression that the PR visa doesn't permit re-entry).

Thanks!
Nix8

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Correct, the PR visa is for one-time use only. But a work permit won't allow you to re-enter Canada either (and once you land as a PR, you can't/won't need to use a work permit anymore).

What you need is a travel document authorizing you to return to Canada after your trip to Cuba. Contact CIC to explain your situation and they'll tell you how to apply for the TD. I'm not sure if you can get it before you leave, or if you have to get it from the Canadian embassy in Cuba.

nix8

Apr 9, 2013
Thanks Amira_Mais. Right now I have a multiple entry work visa along with a valid work permit. When I do the landing at a Canada / US border, will the border officer cancel my work visa? If that's the case, then it seems like that during the PR card waiting period (36 days according to CIC website), I can't leave the country.

For the option of applying for a Travel Document, I'm not sure if this is do-able. When I checked the CIC website, there is no processing center for PRs currently living in Canada...

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

nix8 said:
Thanks Amira_Mais. Right now I have a multiple entry work visa along with a valid work permit. When I do the landing at a Canada / US border, will the border officer cancel my work visa? If that's the case, then it seems like that during the PR card waiting period (36 days according to CIC website), I can't leave the country.

For the option of applying for a Travel Document, I'm not sure if this is do-able. When I checked the CIC website, there is no processing center for PRs currently living in Canada...
1. You can only apply for a TD at an overseas office, that would be Havana http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/cuba/visas/processing-traitement.aspx same day processing.
2. If you have a valid TRV with your work permit, then don't "land". Go to Cuba and "land" on your return.

botex

Mar 6, 2012
nix8 said:

how come you have untouched entry visa after receiving PR?
when my passport arrived from Ottawa entry visa was canceled with stamp, and got new immigrant visa for one entry?