+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C24

CIC1973

Star Member
Apr 10, 2014
Correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't the Senate approve the bill as well before it becomes law? so even if the federal government is a majority and they pass the bill it may be rejected in the senate, right?

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Theoretically yes, but practically may not happen for bill C-24 as the majority of senate member are nominated by Harper. All they can do is take some time to pass from their chamber to study and possibly call for few hearings. Bottom line is Harper govt intention is to make the new bill in law by end of the year...

What we can see before summer is, bill may get passed by house before 20th June if Harper regime press hard from here. So this govt. has approx. 40 working days left from now on and has to finish their business and I doubt they can make it happen by then. Even if the bill get passed by house just before summer session, Senate will pick up the bill from there sometime in Sept. and then Senate will take at least 2 month to pass and to send back to house again for final voting sometime in Oct. House will finally adopt the bill after final voting and will send for royal consent in Nov. Therefore, Nov or Dec is the month we should be looking the new bill's full or part may come in effect depending on governor general's final approvals and determine the date of effect full or partial of the bill in different dates..

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
If the different moving parts of the government wish, the bill can pass within a week. There's no point in making predictions about anything when the only variable that matters is totally unknown.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
If the different moving parts of the government wish, the bill can pass within a week. There's no point in making predictions about anything when the only variable that matters is totally unknown.
How u see the bill can pass in a week? Bill C-24 is still sitting on 1st reading stage. As I mentioned within 40 or so working days this bill can't be a law (law means CIC website change with new application & requirements). Harper govt is now struggling with bill C-23 fair election on supreme court's intervene which isl on 2nd reading stage introduced before C-24 on 10-02-2014. Harper govt 1st priority is to get this C-23 bill passed by end of this year. However, if we read the Minster's leap as he said Govt. is "hoping" (means- may or may not) to introduce new law end of 2014.

The fair assessment will be, this govt. will actually focus on C-24 only after the C-23 get passed from all houses..

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I meant a week after the hearings are concluded. If the government wants to, they can bring the bill back to the House of Commons immediately after the hearings finish in mid-May. Vote there, 2nd stage completed.

Send it back to the committee. The Conservative majority schedules it for an immediate vote, ignoring the minority members. Bill passes 3rd stage.

Send it to the Senate. Vote once, first day. Conservative majority approves it. 4th stage passed.

Senate vote the next day. 5th stage passed.

Senate vote the next day. 6th stage passed.

Send it to the GG. Bill receives Royal approbation, becomes law.

Take a look at other bills that were passed in October and November -- they can go through very, very fast -- and then think about the fact that the Parliament has scheduled two weeks of extra hours in June, just before the break. Look at all the bills that the government is working on now, and ask yourself "Why would they want to delay uncontroversial bills until the controversial Elections bill is passed?" Is the elections bill in the same committee as the citizenship bill? It is not.

I already mentioned that the will of the government to pass this bill quickly is a variable that none of us know. Another is how it will be implemented. Parts of it have ALREADY been implemented (new fee schedule). Other parts may be implemented at other times, and not all at once. This is also a completely unknown variable -- perhaps they will implement it by making the new 4/6 years residency an immediate requirement, and worry about the rest later. How difficult do you think it will be to reprogram a basic online calendar? The person here who thinks it won't be this year might be right; the person who thinks it might be Oct/Nov. might be right; the person who thinks it might be July might be right. If we were arguing about the time of day without a clock, one of us would be closest.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Let's see the developments in next 2-3 weeks and we will have some idea by then...

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
Quick question, I have been following this bill since recently. Was wondering whether you guys have an idea that these new regulations will be applicable on new PRs or applicable to anyone who applies after the bill is passed. I recently became a PR and have a requirement of two years before I can apply for my citizenship under current rules. With this bill who knows.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Stuck In Quebec said:
Quick question, I have been following this bill since recently. Was wondering whether you guys have an idea that these new regulations will be applicable on new PRs or applicable to anyone who applies after the bill is passed. I recently became a PR and have a requirement of two years before I can apply for my citizenship under current rules. With this bill who knows.
Stuck in Quebec - This law will be applicable to anyone who applies for Citizenship, irrespective of when you became a Permanent Residence... whether you became a permanent residence 10 years ago, 5 years or yesterday - does not play any role as they are changing a clause in The Citizenship Act... (my opinion)...

Thanks

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
sept15 said:
Stuck in Quebec - This law will be applicable to anyone who applies for Citizenship, irrespective of when you became a Permanent Residence... whether you became a permanent residence 10 years ago, 5 years or yesterday - does not play any role as they are changing a clause in The Citizenship Act... (my opinion)...

Thanks
Thanks for the reply. I read so too. Also they might want to follow the Australian system, where when they changed the residency requirements, they had a transition time. Already spent 5 years here as a student, faced a rejection and second application took forever due to strikes etc. Hope they take all that into account. We will see how it rolls out.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I hear ya - I think 'Students' are best product for Canada to make them Citizens as these students have lived here for long, know the system very well , know the language, goods age, economic and adapted very well. I was a student too for 6 years, just applied for Citizenship - I hear ya...

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
If C-24 passes while someone has already submitted a citizenship app is that app affected?

I'll be filing either November or December this year.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bargeld said:
If C-24 passes while someone has already submitted a citizenship app is that app affected?

I'll be filing either November or December this year.
Application even before the received by CIC before passes the new bill will not be effected and will process under present law.. Whether you can apply under this rule in Nov/Dec, no one can tell you at this point.. just follow the bill's progress in parliament..

anya

May 24, 2012
Anything latest about the bill?

Since this bill affects the PR & citizens together, I know it will affect people applying after the bill is passed, but what about the ones who have applied for citizenship before this bill but will be receiving it after the bill passes, as it takes time for the whole citizenship process.
Also does it equally affect the ones who are already citizens? Thanks.

Skakeholder

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anya said:
Anything latest about the bill?

Since this bill affects the PR & citizens together, I know it will affect people applying after the bill is passed, but what about the ones who have applied for citizenship before this bill but will be receiving it after the bill passes, as it takes time for the whole citizenship process.
Also does it equally affect the ones who are already citizens? Thanks.
The parliament has 20 more days left till summer break which starts on Jun 20 and ends on Sep 15.
There are no sessions next week.
Also, last 20 sitting days will have possible extension of sitting hours.
As to the bill, it's not progressing much after the first reading, but the committee works hard on the subject matter.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
add to that the fact that there are controversial aspects in the bill. Never know if they will be challenged at some point in Supreme Court for violations of Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Those violations are big ! It's like saying we criticize others countries but ourselves are violating what we criticize others for.... what a mess ! Hopefully, Democratic processes will prevail !