+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C24

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I know that discussing when Bill C-24 will pass is a stale argument . . . But I just want to point out how Bill C-23 has gone (this one is far more controversial).

2/10 Second reading and referral to committee (Stage 2/7)

05/05 Committee report presented

05/12 Concurrence at report

05/13 Third reading (Stage 3/7)

05/14 First Senate reading (4/7)

The only logjam is the committee stage -- and even though C-24 has not yet been officially referred to the committee, it has already gone through some pre-study. When it leaves the committee -- which could be at any time -- movement from stage to stage can literally be daily. I know that money has just been allocated to pay for the study, and it may be that the government is not prioritizing its passage before the break; but it could.

Of course, implementation of the law is a separate issue.

anya

May 24, 2012
Skakeholder said:
The parliament has 20 more days left till summer break which starts on Jun 20 and ends on Sep 15.
There are no sessions next week.
Also, last 20 sitting days will have possible extension of sitting hours.
As to the bill, it's not progressing much after the first reading, but the committee works hard on the subject matter.
Thank you Skakeholder, it was helpful.
From what I have read on forums, most probably this bill will pass in late 2014, I am nearing 3 years for my application, and not even half way done so most probably I will get it after the bill passes hence my concern about it affecting me even if I applied way earlier. Can you shed any light on this or guide me to the respective thread?

Skakeholder

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anya said:
Thank you Skakeholder, it was helpful.
From what I have read on forums, most probably this bill will pass in late 2014, I am nearing 3 years for my application, and not even half way done so most probably I will get it after the bill passes hence my concern about it affecting me even if I applied way earlier. Can you shed any light on this or guide me to the respective thread?
As of now, you can file your application if you were present 1095 days in 4 years. If the bill passes, you should reside at least 1460 days (four years) out of six years.

Mary2009

Star Member
Aug 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Another petition against Bill C-24
and it seems to be gaining popularity. :D ;)

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/hon-chris-alexander-pc-mp-canadian-government-stop-bill-c-24-don-t-turn-millions-of-us-into-second-class-canadian-citizens

Mary