26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
I have studied in this high-school just for 2 years, so it means it won't work>
Where did you study before. I am assuming since you are applying for citizenship, you would have lived in Canada for at least 3 years

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
Hello All,

Since the bill is passed; I have couple of questions now.

1. Pre-PR credit applies to only previous 5 years or there is no limit?
2. If I qualify with Pre-PR credit then my minor kids and wife will have 2 years of residency. Will they also qualify with me or they have to complete 3 years of residency? Thanks
Yes only the 5 years prior to application will be counted. You can apply for the minor kids with your application, but your wife has to complete her time independently.

Cantonese

Feb 3, 2017
Where did you study before. I am assuming since you are applying for citizenship, you would have lived in Canada for at least 3 years
I studied in China before, and I am a 3 year undergrad student right now. I'll be eligible to apply my citizenship on Sept 5,2017 under C6's law.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
I studied in China before, and I am a 3 year undergrad student right now. I'll be eligible to apply my citizenship on Sept 5,2017 under C6's law.
I think your diploma should be fine. But it is better to call the IRCC helpline and confirm with them before filing. Try to call them first thing in the morning, otherwise the waiting time can get long.

Confused in Montreal

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
Thanks admin for deleting all the previous posts. Let's keep it clean and to the point. Thnx again. Gosh trolls!!! Goodness God, this forum is draining!!!

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
But CIC send you the COPR, you just have to sign it with the border agent, the agent doesn't give you a COPR. Did he/she present him/herself to the border with no COPR and expected the border agent to take their word for it that they were selected to be a Permanent Resident ? I don't really follow

Cantonese

Feb 3, 2017
I think your diploma should be fine. But it is better to call the IRCC helpline and confirm with them before filing. Try to call them first thing in the morning, otherwise the waiting time can get long.
Thanks for answering my question. I appreciate that.

Wash an

Oct 20, 2013
Yes only the 5 years prior to application will be counted. You can apply for the minor kids with your application, but your wife has to complete her time independently.
But the Canada Visa Citizenship calculator is counting my days before 5 years?

http://www.canadavisa.com/citizenship-wizard.html

It also asks this question "Were you ever physically present in Canada before becoming a permanent resident?". Focus is on EVER.

surya99

Star Member
Oct 25, 2016
Hello everybody, I was not in Canada from last two weeks and lot of things happened in that time. Bill C-6 got Royal Assent and now qualify for Citizenship. Please let me know what is the next step like effect date or anything related to it.

Thanks in advance.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
Landing as quebec resident, three copies of COPR are given, duly signed, one goes to feds, one to quebec and one to you. In other declared provinces of landing, two are sent, duly signed, one goes to feds and one for you. If the agent is new and decides in Quebec to send one to Quebec and one o feds and one for his records to show his supervisor in the morning, then you are stuck as you yourself don't know the rules and think, I am done. Apparently not. Lessons hard learnt, thankfully (or not), a friend's. Hope it highlights the importance of COPR.
I swear to god I am not trolling you, but I am having difficulty understanding your friend's story that you are trying to share. Can you please break it into steps so it is easier to follow.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Reactions: surya99

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
They have to give GC, when did you go to school? The rules have changed and they continuously change. I am gonna end it here as I don't have time and I am on this forum to tell people about personally witnessed scenarios, and not to flaunt. See you after 2 weeks here.l
I am sorry if I have offended you. I was only trying to say that I was sharing actual experiences of friends that became citizens, and I am not making guesses.

They (there were more than one friend who did this) submitted 1 year diplomas from Canadian Career College as proof of Language and it was accepted. Neither their diploma nor their transcript mentioned that the course was taught in English. I shared the degree from UofT and YorkU because they are more reliable, in case any one had doubts over Career Colleges.

From personal experience, I have not seen a degree or transcript from an English speaking country that explicitly say the course was taught in English. The only way I have seen English on the transcript is, if it was a subject that was taught (like ESL or English Literature) during the degree program. Apologies if I am wrong, but only stating my own experience here. If you have seen the contrary, please do share. I have no issues with being proven wrong, in fact I welcome it.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
But the Canada Visa Citizenship calculator is counting my days before 5 years?

It also asks this question "Were you ever physically present in Canada before becoming a permanent resident?". Focus is on EVER.
The new law of 3 year out of 5 and Pre-PR credit has not been implemented yet. It will come into effect sometime in Fall (Sept - Oct) 2017. The actual IRCC calculator will be updated after that.

What you are using above is only a demo by the lawyers that own this website, so don't worry about the words they use.

Confused in Montreal

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
The new law of 3 year out of 5 and Pre-PR credit has not been implemented yet. It will come into effect sometime in Fall (Sept - Oct) 2017. The actual IRCC calculator will be updated after that.

What you are using above is only a demo by the lawyers that own this website, so don't worry about the words they use.
true that. wait and watch.

Wash an

Oct 20, 2013

Sorry guys. I'm just trying to reach to a conclusion here hence debating.

1. Canada Visa is a well known immigration and citizenship forum and lawyer is credible as well. I don't think they can afford NOT to implement the recent changes into their calculator. If you look at the wording at the start of their page, it clearly says that

"Did you know that Canada's citizenship laws have changed, and that permanent residents now have a quicker and easier pathway to Canadian citizenship? This calculator allows you to gauge when you may be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship under the new laws."

which means that they HAVE updated the calculator on their website after the bill passed regardless of the effective date hence credible to use.

2. CIC news letter also doesn't mention about the 5 year Pre-Credit time limit. Wording is

"C-6 will also:

• Allow permanent residents who had spent time in Canada on temporary status, such as on a work or study permit, to count up to 365 days of this temporary status towards the residency requirement."
https://www.cicnews.com/2017/06/bill-c6-become-law-june-19-changing-canada-citizenship-act-069243.html

3. This news letter also confirms that they have updated their Citizenship Calculator according to the new law. Wording is

"A new law, a new calculator
With C-6 to become law on June 19, readers can find out if they are eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship under the new law by completing the CanadaVisa Citizenship Calculator."

https://www.cicnews.com/2017/06/bill-c6-become-law-june-19-changing-canada-citizenship-act-069243.html

4. Comparison of the old and new law also does;t mention about the 5 year time limit for Pre-Credit. Wording is

"Previous act: Time spent in Canada prior to becoming a permanent resident did not count towards the physical presence requirement for citizenship.

New act: Applicants may count each day they were physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person before becoming a permanent resident as a half-day toward meeting the physical presence requirement for citizenship, up to a maximum credit of 365 days.
"

https://www.cicnews.com/2017/06/bill-c6-passed-giving-immigrants-smoother-pathway-canadian-citizenship-069248.html

5. CIC website also doesn't mention about the 5 years pre-credit time limit. Again the wording is

"Previous Citizenship Act: Time spent in Canada prior to becoming a permanent resident did not count towards the physical presence requirement for citizenship.

Citizenship Act with Bill C-6 Amendments: Applicants may count each day they were physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person before becoming a permanent resident as a half-day toward meeting the physical presence requirement for citizenship, up to a maximum credit of 365 days.
"

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2017/06/bill_c-6_receivesroyalassent0.html

If anybody has any AUTHENTIC proof of 5 year limit for pre-PR credit then please share. Thanks