Star Member
Mar 18, 2014
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Woke up this morning as saw this in my email...

Citizenship Bill Receives Royal Assent
June 19, 2017 – Ottawa, ON – Today, Bill C-6, an Act to amend the Citizenship Act and make consequential amendments to another Act, received Royal Assent.

Changes to the Citizenship Act reflect the Government’s commitments to streamline the citizenship process, enhance program integrity, and repeal certain provisions of the Act that treated dual citizens differently than other Canadians. Some changes to the Citizenship Act take effect immediately upon Royal Assent, while others take effect at later dates to ensure the necessary regulatory changes and departmental preparations are in place for a smooth transition for applicants.

Read more
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2017/06/citizenship_billreceivesroyalassent.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am so excited. Congrats!!!

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
under the new law is it necessary to stay in canada once you apply for canadian citizenship until you are granted canadian citizenship?? for the period between application and grant for citizenship.. any idea
No, I believe you can leave Canada safely once you've fulfilled the requirements to be able to apply for citizenship and have lodged your application. Just have to have someone watch your mailbox for official correspondence and be ready to fly back for test date(s) & for the oath/ceremony.

pkin007

Star Member
May 26, 2017
It's amusing to read an apologia on behalf of the CIC/IRCC bureaucrats who, after all, have only had two years of knowing that this Bill was an election promise and was in the pipeline and that they ought to be getting ready for its effects. McCallum wouldn't have led the Department so lackadaisically, nor have been so beholden to his senior bureaucrats' fumblings and laziness. The CIC bureaucrats who I had to deal with during my PR application stage 3yrs ago are a prime exemplar of Parkinson's Law: work expands to fill the time made available by the management for its completion.
First off Burecracy doesn't work in anticipation of a law..they don't have resources to devote to something in advance ..priorities are set during budget planning excercise at the beginning of the financial year..and you can't set resources aside for something that is not a law just because your or me think that this is how the law will turn out once it receives RA..so now that bill is law resources will be identified and work would commence and even a fall implementation is a very aggressive timeline to implement 3/5 changes...coming to the cribbing that I have read over last 3-4 days..it's hilarious at best..first off we were pissed the bill was not passing quick enough and now we are pissed it is not being implemented fast enough...really people..not to preach or anything but this bill meant lot more than just reduction in time it would take to apply for citizenship..some of the changes around citizenship revocation or minors are really important as well..anyway..I am happy that the bill got passed finally and it will reduce my elibility date to apply from 2020 to 2018..

Reactions: uncomfortable

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
First off Burecracy doesn't work in anticipation of a law..they don't have resources to devote to something in advance ..priorities are set during budget planning excercise at the beginning of the financial year..and you can't set resources aside for something that is not a law just because your or me think that this is how the law will turn out once it receives RA..so now that bill is law resources will be identified and work would commence and even a fall implementation is a very aggressive timeline to implement 3/5 changes...coming to the cribbing that I have read over last 3-4 days..it's hilarious at best..first off we were pissed the bill was not passing quick enough and now we are pissed it is not being implemented fast enough...really people..not to preach or anything but this bill meant lot more than just reduction in time it would take to apply for citizenship..some of the changes around citizenship revocation or minors are really important as well..anyway..I am happy that the bill got passed finally and it will reduce my elibility date to apply from 2020 to 2018..
If they just secretly pass it and wait till the end of the year to announce RA and implemantation right away, people would all be happy and there would be no bitching about it.....

Reactions: cfbarroso

pkin007

Star Member
May 26, 2017
As someone mentioned earlier instead of cribbing about fall implementation we should focus on getting the Immigration Minister hear our thoughts on processing times..the focus should now turn towards reducing those times to maybe under 6 months..would be interesting to see what happens to the times...if I am in ruling party and my key constituents are would be citizens I would want them to become citizens sooner..so will be interesting to see if the Immigartion dept receives more funds and resources to handle increase in application flow in short to medium term..

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
As someone mentioned earlier instead of cribbing about fall implementation we should focus on getting the Immigration Minister hear our thoughts on processing times..the focus should now turn towards reducing those times to maybe under 6 months..would be interesting to see what happens to the times...if I am in ruling party and my key constituents are would be citizens I would want them to become citizens sooner..so will be interesting to see if the Immigartion dept receives more funds and resources to handle increase in application flow in short to medium term..
Exactly, I would rather see them using the next 3 months to improve the process and get ready for the incoming applications, than opening the gate now and keeping everybody stuck forever . With 3 months they could hire/train more people, establish/test database sharing with the police, CRA, CBSA to streamline the verification process and reduce processing time

Reactions: zineb83

qjzhou

May 4, 2016
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not sure if the source below is accurate, but hopefully we can have an update by June 30 about the meaning of fall 2017.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/index.asp

Citizenship

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance information used by CIC staff. It is posted on the CIC website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

The Program Delivery Instructions (PDIs) are currently being updated. The posting of all updated Citizenship Program PDIs is expected to be completed by June 30.

Canaussie7

Jun 16, 2017
Waaaww.... this a crazy reasoning, you both are getting the exact same fruit (the so called best country in the world).....his/her tree took 4 years versus 3 years for you... this is unfair so the seed and soil seller must refund that one who suffered with no mistake from the later side!!!
This makes no sense... i would have been eligible a month after C-24 being enacted meaning come this August I have actually done my 4 years and am eligible under C-24.

braindead

Star Member
May 25, 2011
Kitchener, ON
A month ago we were worried that HoC and Senate will keep playing the ping pong game forever. And now, we know for sure that the law would be implemented before December 2017!!! This is a huge win. I can't believe the whining.

Reactions: UVIR

anasja2000

Star Member
May 17, 2017
Autumn 2017 in Northern Hemisphere will begin on
Friday
September 22
and ends on
Thursday
December 21
All dates are in Central Standard Time.

Reactions: UVIR