Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
I think we should be more concerned about the GIC information ...

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1111379240993&ca=8f8f53b5-08e2-4bae-b3c6-773f01f87755
Current Act Proposed Amendment Date Provision will be In Force Applicable to Applications in Process / New Applications Only

Physical presence - 4 out of 6 years Physical presence - 3 out of 5 years
NOTE: the requirement to file taxes in 4 out of 6 years is also amended to 3 out of 5 to match the physical presence requirement Date to be set by GIC New Applications Only

Must have ½ year (183 days) of physical presence in 4 out of 6 years Provision will be removed Date to be set by GIC New Applications Only

Pre-PR time spent in Canada does not count Pre-PR time spent in Canada as i) a temporary resident; or ii) a protected person counts as ½ day of physical presence (maximum of 1 year of pre-PR credit) Date to be set by GIC New Applications Only

Applicants from ages 14-64 must meet language requirement and pass knowledge test Age is changed to 18-54
NOTE: one of the proposed Senate amendments raises the upper age limit back up to 60. The government has announced it will not support this Senate amendment.[1] Date to be set by GIC Applies to Applications in Process

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1111379240993&ca=8f8f53b5-08e2-4bae-b3c6-773f01f87755
Current Act Proposed Amendment Date Provision will be In Force Applicable to Applications in Process / New Applications Only

Physical presence - 4 out of 6 years Physical presence - 3 out of 5 years
NOTE: the requirement to file taxes in 4 out of 6 years is also amended to 3 out of 5 to match the physical presence requirement Date to be set by GIC New Applications Only

Must have ½ year (183 days) of physical presence in 4 out of 6 years Provision will be removed Date to be set by GIC New Applications Only

Pre-PR time spent in Canada does not count Pre-PR time spent in Canada as i) a temporary resident; or ii) a protected person counts as ½ day of physical presence (maximum of 1 year of pre-PR credit) Date to be set by GIC New Applications Only

Applicants from ages 14-64 must meet language requirement and pass knowledge test Age is changed to 18-54
NOTE: one of the proposed Senate amendments raises the upper age limit back up to 60. The government has announced it will not support this Senate amendment.[1] Date to be set by GIC Applies to Applications in Process

Why should we be concerned? This is what's expected. Are you expecting C6 to be implemented all at once and immediately?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
No need to be concerned about the process for determining coming-into-force dates.

These dates are practically decided by the PM in consultation with the PM's advisers. The PM's advisers would typically include the respective Minister, in this instance the Minister of IRCC, but not necessarily. The PM may delegate the decision-making as well, which again would typically be to the respective Minister.

The dates will be based on when the government can actually, practically implement the respective provisions. And, regarding the change to the 3/5 rule, the prior Minister, Minister McCallum, stated that the government will consider how to most efficiently implement these changes with minimal impact on processing times.

Basically, the changes will take effect when the government, when IRCC, is ready. Some participants here have reported they know or believe the government has been preparing for these changes, drafting revised instructions, forms, procedures, and such. I do not know, but I doubt that much has been done in this regard because unless and until the changes are mandated by law there is typically no funding source for this work. The government could have included funding for this in the budget, but unless such funding was covered, IRCC would have no authority to expend public/taxpayer resources until mandated by law. These changes will not become law until this evening when Royal Assent is given.

While the Governor-in-Council's Order will be published in the Gazette, and in general this should be some time prior to the coming-into-force dates ordered, on many occasions these orders are not published in time to give much if any notice (key elements of Bill C-24 came into effect well before the Order was published in the Gazette; the most salient example being the profound changes in procedure which took effect August 1, 2014 and the Gazette did not publish the respective Order until later that month).

There is a good chance that the Minister will make a statement, or that IRCC will post a news release or statement, offering some information about prospective implementation dates. We could see this some time today or tomorrow. Even if we don't, however, again the government is likely to move forward toward implementing the changes in a timely fashion. Implementation of the 3/5 rule is likely to take several months at the least, but beyond that any forecast would be a wild, wild guess . . . unless and until the Minister or IRCC offer more information.

Reactions: nofrills

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
Why should we be concerned? This is what's expected. Are you expecting C6 to be implemented all at once and immediately?
Of course not....
I said that because they can implement it in 6 or 12 months
:)
So, at least I have to stay tuned for the date that they are to decide.

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
No need to be concerned about the process for determining coming-into-force dates.

These dates are practically decided by the PM in consultation with the PM's advisers. The PM's advisers would typically include the respective Minister, in this instance the Minister of IRCC, but not necessarily. The PM may delegate the decision-making as well, which again would typically be to the respective Minister.

The dates will be based on when the government can actually, practically implement the respective provisions. And, regarding the change to the 3/5 rule, the prior Minister, Minister McCallum, stated that the government will consider how to most efficiently implement these changes with minimal impact on processing times.

Basically, the changes will take effect when the government, when IRCC, is ready. Some participants here have reported they know or believe the government has been preparing for these changes, drafting revised instructions, forms, procedures, and such. I do not know, but I doubt that much has been done in this regard because unless and until the changes are mandated by law there is typically no funding source for this work. The government could have included funding for this in the budget, but unless such funding was covered, IRCC would have no authority to expend public/taxpayer resources until mandated by law. These changes will not become law until this evening when Royal Assent is given.

While the Governor-in-Council's Order will be published in the Gazette, and in general this should be some time prior to the coming-into-force dates ordered, on many occasions these orders are not published in time to give much if any notice (key elements of Bill C-24 came into effect well before the Order was published in the Gazette; the most salient example being the profound changes in procedure which took effect August 1, 2014 and the Gazette did not publish the respective Order until later that month).

There is a good chance that the Minister will make a statement, or that IRCC will post a news release or statement, offering some information about prospective implementation dates. We could see this some time today or tomorrow. Even if we don't, however, again the government is likely to move forward toward implementing the changes in a timely fashion. Implementation of the 3/5 rule is likely to take several months at the least, but beyond that any forecast would be a wild, wild guess . . . unless and until the Minister or IRCC offer more information.

thank you!

elie72

Sep 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 Aug 2007
Doc's Request.
17 Aug 2009
AOR Received.
13 Aug 2007
Med's Request
March 2011
Med's Done....
08 April 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21 September 2011
VISA ISSUED...
05 October 2011
LANDED..........
23 December 2011
My question is, will we know the date for 3/5 tonight, and if not, when?
Hi Marceau,

The 3/5 will be decided by the Governor in council (i.e. the cabinet) but in the coming days. Please refer to the comparative table below:

Quick Comparison Chart
Physical presence - 4 out of 6 years
Physical presence - 3 out of 5 years
NOTE: the requirement to file taxes in 4 out of 6 years is also amended to 3 out of 5 to match the physical presence requirement
Date to be set by GIC New Applications Only
Must have "intent to reside" in order to be granted citizenship "Intent to reside" provision will be removed Royal Assent Applies to Applications in Process
Dual nationals can have citizenship revoked on "national interest" grounds This provision will be removed Royal Assent n/a (this occurs after application is finalized)
Applicants from ages 14-64 must meet language requirement and pass knowledge test
Age is changed to 18-54

NOTE: one of the proposed Senate amendments raises the upper age limit back up to 60. The government has announced it will not support this Senate amendment.[1]
Date to be set by GIC Applies to Applications in Process
Time spent in Canada under a conditional sentence (criminal conviction) counts towards physical presence; persons under conditional sentence are not barred from taking oath Time spent in Canada under a conditional sentence (criminal conviction) does not count towards physical presence; persons under conditional sentence are barred from taking oath Royal Assent Applies to Applications in Process

Regards,

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
My question is, will we know the date for 3/5 tonight, and if not, when?
As dpenabill said:
"Implementation of the 3/5 rule is likely to take several months at the least, but beyond that any forecast would be a wild, wild guess . . . unless and until the Minister or IRCC offer more information."

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012

Senate amendment.[1] Date to be set by GIC Applies to Applications in Process
What about the Tax filing requirement? My son who is 19 now has only filed 2 tax return but he has completed the 3/5 physical presence requirement. So does he have to wait till he files next years tax return to apply for citizenship?

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
Hi Marceau,

The 3/5 will be decided by the Governor in council (i.e. the cabinet) but in the coming days. Please refer to the comparative table below:

Quick Comparison Chart
Physical presence - 4 out of 6 years
Physical presence - 3 out of 5 years
NOTE: the requirement to file taxes in 4 out of 6 years is also amended to 3 out of 5 to match the physical presence requirement
Date to be set by GIC New Applications Only
Must have "intent to reside" in order to be granted citizenship "Intent to reside" provision will be removed Royal Assent Applies to Applications in Process
Dual nationals can have citizenship revoked on "national interest" grounds This provision will be removed Royal Assent n/a (this occurs after application is finalized)
Applicants from ages 14-64 must meet language requirement and pass knowledge test
Age is changed to 18-54

NOTE: one of the proposed Senate amendments raises the upper age limit back up to 60. The government has announced it will not support this Senate amendment.[1]
Date to be set by GIC Applies to Applications in Process
Time spent in Canada under a conditional sentence (criminal conviction) counts towards physical presence; persons under conditional sentence are not barred from taking oath Time spent in Canada under a conditional sentence (criminal conviction) does not count towards physical presence; persons under conditional sentence are barred from taking oath Royal Assent Applies to Applications in Process

Regards,
I already knew all this. My question was, if you prefer, when will they release the date for 3/5.
I know it's decided by the Governor in council (in fact the Minister of Immigration telling him when).
And I've been eligible since June 2016 to apply, had C6 been active, so I wasn't asking for the calculation of my days.

May 3, 2017
I just have a quick question..once i become eligible for citizenship and after i apply, can i leave canada for 6-8 months and come back to give the oath/exam and can still become citizen without any problem ?

Reactions: MarceauBletard