+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
She's rambling about hundreds of things unrelated to the amendments of Bill C-6, knowing that as Opposition spokesperson she has unlimited speaking time, it does sound a bit like filibustering

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I view Ms Michelle Rempel's speed as good news. She is attacking the government's policy from all the points, but not the amendments. She is on opposition side, and hence she simply cannot just saying that we conservatives support the bill.
As her speech is almost completely unrelated to Bill C-6, I interpret that Cons do not object the bill or the amendments.
Cons do object the bill, I guarantee you that. But that doesn't matter, the Liberals hold the majority.

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

maran1976

Feb 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14 April 2010
AOR Received.
26 Nov 2010 (2nd Aor Date)
Med's Request
28-02-2013
Med's Done....
6th March 2013
Interview........
hopefully waived
Passport Req..
Recvd by CHC Mar 13th
Watching it live..Why cant they keep it specific to the amendments from Senate ? Does the Calgary MP not realize that the bill has been debated before passed by HOC ??? Grrr

rightstalk

Dec 20, 2016
thats how you make sure the bill will be able to pass today. Just make sure your speech long enough to finish the working hour. Last time she read a newspaper article A-Z.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
thats how you make sure the bill will be able to pass today. Just make sure your speech long enough to finish the working hour. Last time she read a newspaper article A-Z.
The bill won't pass today no matter what. Since many MPs are not on the Hill anymore, even if they will only need this debate tonight, the vote will be deferred until the next day, during the day.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Time allocation order needed...at the first opportunity!
She is the only one who has unlimited speaking time. Also there will be a time allocation motion anyways. It won't happen today. Time allocation motions must be announced a day ahead.

Important for those who are watching live: How long she speaks tonight will have zero impact on how fast this bill will pass the HoC. So if it annoys you, just watch something else. This is not the Senate. If the majority wants something to pass in a timely manner it will pass in a timely manner.

Bottom line: Don't care about her at all. That's the most appropriate reaction.

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
Cons do object the bill, I guarantee you that. But that doesn't matter, the Liberals hold the majority.
I meant if they planned to seriously object the bill at this stage, they should have focused on the amendments. There are lots arguments can be made to convenience others to vote nay for the bill. Instead, she is just using her time to put lots of unrelated issues on board. I'm sure the Cons is not that dumb.

BTW It's so funny that the old man behind her seems to fall asleep. He played his cellphone, but finally he cannot stay in the room anymore...

energym

Aug 18, 2014
Aha, I think that's the reason why she is rambling about whatever: She has unlimited time to speak as the first person replying to the minister. That's something she usually doesn't get so he wants to use it.

It's not really filibustering. There's not such thing in the Canadian House of Commons. It's just her chance to be heard.
Actually she is no stranger to the art of talking to talk, few day ago in a meeting about refugees she used the same technique to waste time and block others from participating. Not that it matters, she is just using her time for early election campaign

pkin007

Star Member
May 26, 2017
What the heck is she rambling on...such a dolt..i don't understand how people elect such idiots to the parliament

Reactions: lilen

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
irony [noun], a word describing a situation when an MP criticizes the language requirements for citizenship while not being able to form one coherent sentence in the English language.