06-07-2015
AOR Received.
06-07-2015
Passport Req..
11-09-2015
LANDED..........
25-09-2015
MarceauBletard said:
Richard, I like you everyday a little bit more, you couldn't be more right!
If these people are not interested in paying $650 (+/- a month's rent for a small appartment), then they don't care and people who REALLY care like us will have our citizenship faster.
I hope they maintain the fee or even make it more expensive.
PS: And before people start saying that I'm saying that because I'm rich, well I'm not. On the contrary, I only make $14/hr (close to minimum wage) and I'm quite poor but I save money for the things that important. Also, there are 2 people that I know that haven't asked for their citizenship and have been eligible for 5 years. Instead, they go on vacation to Cuba, buy expensive stuff, etc... #NoComment And me? Well I eat pasta, I don't go on vacation, I don't buy anything for leisure, but yes, I saved $650. One of them even lectured me and told me "you should go on vacation instead instead". Hum, no. #Priorities
You are missing the point.

$600 is not prohibitive - individuals like you and I may still pay it - while others who are not as fortunate, who have larger families and who earn minimum wage to provide food and shelter will struggle harder. However the ability to pay a higher fee should not be a barrier to becoming Canadian - this society values fairness and equality, including universal health care, the right to a fair trial and so forth - if you feel that buying your way into citizenship is a positive thing, maybe you should rethink your intentions?

Besides the point of the article was that with a declining immigration and citizenship rate is detrimental - not positive.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
nofrills said:

$600 is not prohibitive - individuals like you and I may still pay it - while others who are not as fortunate, who have larger families and who earn minimum wage to provide food and shelter will struggle harder. However the ability to pay a higher fee should not be a barrier to becoming Canadian - this society values fairness and equality, including universal health care, the right to a fair trial and so forth - if you feel that buying your way into citizenship is a positive thing, maybe you should rethink your intentions?

Besides the point of the article was that with a declining immigration and citizenship rate is detrimental - not positive.
The fee has been $100 for years, it doesn't make sense to keep it at that level while the cost of everything else has gone up
based on your logic, maybe the law should not permit the price increase of milk, gas, groceries, rent... since that would be also unfair
don't forget the fee you pay is used to run the processing of your application, you want it done fast and want it done cheap, but there's no such thing in this world, not even walmart can give you that.

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
nofrills said:

I'm not missing the point. Anyone can save up and pay $600, I'm really sorry.
People with large families receive a LOT of government support, a WHOLE LOT. I know personally some. They live better than I do.
If I can afford it, paying rent and heating by myself on minimum wage (close to it) with zero government support, anyone can, I'm sorry.
Canada is not a country where you are left with nothing.

If people think Citizenship is not worth the struggle of saving $600, I'm not sorry for them.
As I see it, it is positive that these people don't apply - not negative.
Anyway, they have their PR and can play with their PR status their whole life if they're happy that way.
Some people do that anyway because their country don't allow dual-citizenship.

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
itsmyid said:
The fee has been $100 for years, it doesn't make sense to keep it at that level while the cost of everything else has gone up
based on your logic, maybe the law should not permit the price increase of milk, gas, groceries, rent... since that would be also unfair
don't forget the fee you pay is used to run the processing of your application, you want it done fast and want it done cheap, but there's no such thing in this world, not even walmart can give you that.
Permanent residents are required to pay taxes at the same level as Canadian citizens while being entitled to less rights. It's would be fair to compensate the permanent residents for this inequality by keeping the citizenship application fees low or free.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
MasterGeek said:
Permanent residents are required to pay taxes at the same level as Canadian citizens while being entitled to less rights. It's would be fair to compensate the permanent residents for this inequality by keeping the citizenship application fees low or free.
If a permanent resident makes less than others, he pays much less tax, or even no tax at all - 1/3 of the total Canadian adult population don't pay any income tax- how is it fair that he demands to pay the same fee as those who pay a lot more taxes?

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/04/30/onethird-of-canadian-adults-pay-no-income-taxes

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
MarceauBletard said:
I'm not missing the point. Anyone can save up and pay $600, I'm really sorry.
People with large families receive a LOT of government support, a WHOLE LOT. I know personally some. They live better than I do.
If I can afford it, paying rent and heating by myself on minimum wage (close to it) with zero government support, anyone can, I'm sorry.
Canada is not a country where you are left with nothing.
saving $600 over the period of 4 years is just $150 a year, $12.5 a month, 42 cents a day.

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
itsmyid said:
If a permanent resident makes less than others, he pays much less tax, or even no tax at all, how is it fair that he demands to pay the same fee as those who pay a lot more taxes?
Who says permanent residents earn less ? To compare fairly, compare a Canadian citizen and a Canadian permanent resident who have the same income. Do they pay the same taxes ? Yes. Are they entitled to the same rights ? No. This means there is an equality. It is only fair if those permanent residents are compensated for the inequality by keeping citizenship application and permanent resident card renewal fees low.

Conor9900

Jun 20, 2013
Hi MarceauBletard, how do you know there will be two C-6 debates? Or do you mean two will happen today? Basically what I want to know is, after today, will the bill go back to the house? Thanks

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
itsmyid said:
If a permanent resident makes less than others, he pays much less tax, or even no tax at all - 1/3 of the total Canadian adult population don't pay any income tax- how is it fair that he demands to pay the same fee as those who pay a lot more taxes?

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/04/30/onethird-of-canadian-adults-pay-no-income-taxes
"Life is never fair, and perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not." -- Oscar Wilde
"Life is not fair, get used to it." -- Bill Gates

Conor9900 said:
Hi MarceauBletard, how do you know there will be two C-6 debates? Or do you mean two will happen today? Basically what I want to know is, after today, will the bill go back to the house? Thanks
Yes, I know there's another debate tomorrow morning also.
Nothing will happen today.
There will probably be a 3rd debate later on as I understand it.
No idea if that's going back to the HoC. I suppose it depends if amends will be offered by the Liberals or they try to make it pass as it is through a vote.
Time for speculation is almost over, now let's see what's going to happen.

pk10

Star Member
May 29, 2010
I realize 600 can be a lot to spare - especially if you have 5-6 members in your family.

BUT people are missing the point. If it means your application gets processed faster and you get certainty of the Canadian citizenship - can you really put a price tag on that?

I started from the bottom - I came to Canada as an international student - was broke most of the time. Today I am in the highest income tax bracket. I dont say this to brag but to say that Canada provides me opportunities which I wouldn't have otherwise had. If I can work my way up from the bottom to the top SO CAN YOU.

If anything I am happy if this fee prohibits leeches from applying to citizenship - they dont appriciate what you are getting and want freebies. Now for those who genuinely cant afford it - concessions should be made (disabilities etc).

================

Finally I hear a LOT of people complaining that they had to wait an extra year. Yes that sucks - but if you really want to be in Canada - it shouldnt matter anyway.

Your PR card allows you everything a citizen has minus the passport or voting rights - which you will get in 1 more year.

I have been patiently waiting for 15 years till the day I can apply. Under the current laws I still have one more year to go - but ultimately I am just thankful to be here. We could have it much much much worse - and we all know that.

Just live life and be happy. Talk to your senators. And dont b*tch so much.

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
pk10 said:
I realize 600 can be a lot to spare - especially if you have 5-6 members in your family.

BUT people are missing the point. If it means your application gets processed faster and you get certainty of the Canadian citizenship - can you really put a price tag on that?

I started from the bottom - I came to Canada as an international student - was broke most of the time. Today I am in the highest income tax bracket. I dont say this to brag but to say that Canada provides me opportunities which I wouldn't have otherwise had. If I can work my way up from the bottom to the top SO CAN YOU.

If anything I am happy if this fee prohibits leeches from applying to citizenship - they dont appriciate what you are getting and want freebies. Now for those who genuinely cant afford it - concessions should be made (disabilities etc).

================

Finally I hear a LOT of people complaining that they had to wait an extra year. Yes that sucks - but if you really want to be in Canada - it shouldnt matter anyway.

Your PR card allows you everything a citizen has minus the passport or voting rights - which you will get in 1 more year.

I have been patiently waiting for 15 years till the day I can apply. Under the current laws I still have one more year to go - but ultimately I am just thankful to be here. We could have it much much much worse - and we all know that.

Just live life and be happy. Talk to your senators. And dont b*tch so much.
Indeed! I'd save easily $5,000 if that meant I could get it faster. And again, I'm close to minimum wage.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
WOW
Even when one cons sen. discussed the language issue,

The lawyer from office of quebec told her that skilled immigrants were selected based on skills and language skills, these changes 18-54 made for refugees and minority cases

Thats good answer