+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

Montreal101

Star Member
Dec 5, 2016
Hasan9999 said:
Dear Members,

Any feedback would be appreciated!

My second question, Bill C-6 has not yet been approved by Senate and more likely take couple of more months to get approved. If someone is already a PR now say from January 1st, 2017 and if this person stays physically next 3 years in Canada till end of 2019, will it be possible for this person to apply for citizenship on 1st January, 2020 under the proposed new immigration (law-when approved) Bill C-6?

Hasan
Technically yes, but for the first 2 years he must enter the country every 180 days at least so he will not lose his/her PR , also he will not be able to apply Jan 2020 as he/she needs to submit 3 taxes report and normally the one for 2019 will not be ready by Jan 2020

AmirATM

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
Montreal 101
Your statement "but for the first 2 years he must enter the country every 180 days at least so he will not lose his/her PR" is incorrect . the only obligation in the PR is to be present at least 2 years in 5 years . so let say he was outside Canada for the first 2 years after he became a PR and then he spent the following 3 years in Canada- he will still maintain his PR status.
regards

AmirATM

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
I am optimistic - it will go well . Despite that it doesn't matter much for me -I am staying here so 3 or 4 or 10 years doesn't make a difference to me really. it would be better to have it ASAP though.
All the best everyone.

Montreal101

Star Member
Dec 5, 2016
For people who thinks that the majority want Bill C-6 to pass so we leave Canada and never come back, this is not true we hope it passes and comes in effect ASAP so we have the feeling of accomplishment of becoming a Canadian citizen, also some of us are refugees who couldn't and can not see their families for long time now and trust me it is a worst feeling ever when you hear a member of you family is in need and you are helpless and can not even see them

just wanted to share my thoughts .............. and i'm still optimistic

danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
Montreal101 said:
... for the first 2 years he must enter the country every 180 days at least so he will not lose his/her PR ...
Wait. Where does this rule come from?

The only rule for maintaining PR is to be in Canada 730 days for every (rolling) 5 year period.

nick82

Jun 30, 2015
SOCI scheduled two meetings for Bill C-6 on the 15th and 16th. Hopefully, after these two we will be in report stage.

February 15, 2017
4:15 PM

• Bill C-6, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act ◦ Barbara J. Caruso, Vice-Chair, Immigration Law Section (Canadian Bar Association)
◦ Réa Hawi, Lawyer, Secretariat of the Order and Legal Affairs (Barreau du Québec)
◦ Hugues Langlais, President, Immigration and Citizenship committee (Barreau du Québec)
◦ Audrey Macklin, Professor of Law, University of Toronto (As an Individual)
◦ Noah Shack, Director, Policy (Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs)
◦ Kathleen Terroux, Lawyer, Legislation and Law Reform (Canadian Bar Association)

Room 2, Victoria Building [ParlVu Video] [Link to the notice of this meeting] [Subject to Change]

February 16, 2017
10:30 AM

• Bill C-6, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act ◦ Craig Forcese, Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Ottawa (As an Individual)
◦ Avvy Yao-Yao Go, Clinic Director (Metro Toronto Chinese & Southeast Asian Legal Clinic)
◦ Reis Pagtakhan, Immigration Lawyer (As an Individual)
◦ Julie Taub, Immigration lawyer (As an Individual)

Montreal101

Star Member
Dec 5, 2016
danhass said:

The only rule for maintaining PR is to be in Canada 730 days for every (rolling) 5 year period.
My bad, this rule applied many years ago, but it is no longer applicable

AmirATM

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
danhass said:

You are correct . 730 days every 5 years period but you should not count the years that you spent less than 183 days - lets say first year after becoming a PR you spent 2 months and then you left for another year - you can not count 60 days of the first year .

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
AmirATM said:
You are correct . 730 days every 5 years period but you should not count the years that you spent less than 183 days - lets say first year after becoming a PR you spent 2 months and then you left for another year - you can not count 60 days of the first year .
don't spread false information - check CIC website first ( and nowhere in there was the 183-day issue mentioned):

To maintain your status as a permanent resident, you must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period. During this time you must be here physically.

The two years may not need to be continuous. An officer can confirm if your time in Canada counts when you:
•re-enter Canada, or
•apply for a permanent resident card.

Time spent outside Canada may also count towards the two years if you are:
•travelling with your spouse or partner who is a Canadian citizen,
•a childFootnote 1 travelling with his or her father or mother who is a Canadian citizen,
•an employee of (or under contract to) a Canadian business.

It may also count if you are:
•travelling with your spouse or partner who is a permanent resident and works full-time for: ◦a Canadian business, or
◦the public service of Canada or a province,

•a child travelling with his or her father or mother who is a permanent resident and who works full-time for: ◦a Canadian business, or
◦the public service of Canada or a province.

•an employee of (or under contract to) the public service of Canada or a province and you are on a full-time assignment to: ◦a position outside Canada,
◦a partner business outside Canada, or
◦a client of the Canadian business or the public service outside Canada.

Learn more about calculating the number of days (PDF, 629.95 KB) to comply with the residency obligation (Operational Manual ENF 23, Section 6.4).

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
nick82 said:
SOCI scheduled two meetings for Bill C-6 on the 15th and 16th. Hopefully, after these two we will be in report stage.

February 15, 2017
4:15 PM

• Bill C-6, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act ◦ Barbara J. Caruso, Vice-Chair, Immigration Law Section (Canadian Bar Association)
◦ Réa Hawi, Lawyer, Secretariat of the Order and Legal Affairs (Barreau du Québec)
◦ Hugues Langlais, President, Immigration and Citizenship committee (Barreau du Québec)
◦ Audrey Macklin, Professor of Law, University of Toronto (As an Individual)
◦ Noah Shack, Director, Policy (Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs)
◦ Kathleen Terroux, Lawyer, Legislation and Law Reform (Canadian Bar Association)

Room 2, Victoria Building [ParlVu Video] [Link to the notice of this meeting] [Subject to Change]

February 16, 2017
10:30 AM

• Bill C-6, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act ◦ Craig Forcese, Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Ottawa (As an Individual)
◦ Avvy Yao-Yao Go, Clinic Director (Metro Toronto Chinese & Southeast Asian Legal Clinic)
◦ Reis Pagtakhan, Immigration Lawyer (As an Individual)
◦ Julie Taub, Immigration lawyer (As an Individual)
They won't wrap it up after this meeting , i think , since the last committee meeting has to be dedicated to study the bill clause by clause which is not scheduled nor mentioned on their orders . So my guess is that they will meet again around march 1st and 2nd and at this moment then, it should be over . If the bill has to go back to the HoC , we are looking at longer delays , April in the best case scenario for the bill to pass . But who knows huh ?

AmirATM

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
itsmyid said:
don't spread false information - check CIC website first
You dont seem you are reading. see below from CIC ; so dont spread false information and starting reading a bit -Check CIC website first .

The Citizenship Act also requires a person to be physically present in Canada for at least 183 days during any four (4) calendar years that are fully or partially within the six (6) years immediately before the date of the application.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
AmirATM said:
You dont seem you are reading. see below from CIC ; so dont spread false information and starting reading a bit -Check CIC website first .

The Citizenship Act also requires a person to be physically present in Canada for at least 183 days during any four (4) calendar years that are fully or partially within the six (6) years immediately before the date of the application.
Somebody indeed was not reading
What you were talking about was citizenship application, not maintaining PR
so dont spread false information and starting reading a bit -Check CIC website first
and check your own post too

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
tyl92 said:
They won't wrap it up after this meeting , i think , since the last committee meeting has to be dedicated to study the bill clause by clause which is not scheduled nor mentioned on their orders . So my guess is that they will meet again around march 1st and 2nd and at this moment then, it should be over . If the bill has to go back to the HoC , we are looking at longer delays , April in the best case scenario for the bill to pass . But who knows huh ?
100 percent, 1st and 2nd of march then it will go to HOC it will pass their in a week then back to senates where it will be delayed 1 to 2 months to pass and stamped by governor

hkalltheway

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
I found interesting updates about this bill in an article on the Calgary Herald:

Source: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/national/dramatic+increase+people+having+canadian+citizenship+revoked/12888212/story.html

Excerpts:

"The Senate is planning to patch a hole in the Liberals’ update to immigration legislation, Bill C-6, to make sure people whose citizenship is revoked can argue their case in court. A Senate committee begins its study Wednesday."

"Paterson said he has been talking to senators about amendments. So has NDP MP Jenny Kwan, who tried amending the bill in a House of Commons committee but had her amendments ruled out of scope.

“It was frankly astounding to me that (the Liberal government) neglected to fix that critical part in the bill,” she said. “Virtually all of the witnesses came forward to say that we need to restore due process.”

The Senate sponsor of Bill C-6, independent senator Ratna Omidvar, confirmed there are plans to table such amendments in the Senate, likely at third reading."

"Saying the bill’s passage is long overdue, Omidvar predicted things could wrap up in March. But its passage through the Senate will come with controversy, especially as Tory senators are expected to assert their belief that citizenship should still be revoked from convicted criminals."