+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

NizYou

Star Member
May 11, 2016
Omidvar email:
Ratna.Omidvar@sen.parl.gc.ca
I've sent her an email two weeks ago but with no reply. May you are more lucky than me

canadasucks

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deerestlovelybear said:
so it is all because it is to save MP Mosef that all this delay now? Typical political situation!
Yes!

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/05/trudeau-may-change-law-to-protect-monsef
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/09/27/maryam-monsef-citizenship-senate-amend-law_n_12224226.html

canadasucks

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's so funny, from the news:

"Omidvar, who moved second reading of C-6 on Tuesday in the upper chamber, said Senate procedural rules are different and she's hopeful the upper house will be able to do what the Commons could not."

But the fact is, when Commons (Liberals have majority in both House and Committee) could and had chance (NDP proposed it) to do so a few months ago but they chose not to. After Monsef, Senate want to do so but they could not (because Cons have majority in Committee).

Typical lies.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
deerestlovelybear said:
so it is all because it is to save MP Mosef that all this delay now? Typical political situation!
I think that is the main reason. But I also think that Libs are finally spotting more deficiencies in bill C-6 that may cause issues if it becomes law. I did not follow it closely at the HoC, so I am wondering how all such issues were overlooked or agreed upon. I do question the practicality of Bill C-6; and why its clauses vary drastically; i.e. why include a 3/5 rule which is a fairly simple rule that Cons introduced for no justifiable reason, with the revoking of citizenship of terrorists clause, which is way more complicated and very difficult to defend despite it being unconstitutional.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
NizYou said:
Omidvar email:
Ratna.Omidvar@sen.parl.gc.ca
I've sent her an email two weeks ago but with no reply. May you are more lucky than me
Sorry to hear that she did not respond. I am assuming Senators feel that they are not obliged to engage with the public because the public did not elect them in first place. It seems their allegiance is limited to whoever appointed them.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
proud_canadian said:
if i may ask for my future reference, how do i check to see if a bill is skipped for that day?
I think spiritsoul listens to the sitting through the link I included earlier. They discuss various topics and not mention C-6.

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
The bill is trapped , the revocation clause is the problem and now affecting a minister ...It has discrepancies and how to fix them in order not to affect the minister is the question ? What will happen with that bill ? Will it die ?

canadasucks

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcher said:
I think that is the main reason. But I also think that Libs are finally spotting more deficiencies in bill C-6 that may cause issues if it becomes law. I did not follow it closely at the HoC, so I am wondering how all such issues were overlooked or agreed upon.
If you missed what happened at the HoC, here it is:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=e&Mode=1&Parl=42&Ses=1&DocId=8295141

Both NDP Jenny Kwan and Green Party Elizabeth May moved the same amendment, but Libs decided not to be "open to amendments" as McCallum promised from the first Committee meeting with all members.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
canadasucks said:
If you missed what happened at the HoC, here it is:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=e&Mode=1&Parl=42&Ses=1&DocId=8295141

Both NDP Jenny Kwan and Green Party Elizabeth May moved the same amendment, but Libs decided not to be "open to amendments" as McCallum promised from the first Committee meeting with all members.
If it was properly amended at that stage, then it would have been a walk in the park in the Senate.

canadasucks

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
More funny is, when McCallum appeared at the Senate for Question Period, he repeated the same phase "open to amendments" again. But when he missed the same promise at the HoC, now it's different story and it's not up to him but up to Conservatives committee chair and members to be open to amendments. I guess it's just karma.

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
canadasucks said:
More funny is, when McCallum appeared at the Senate for Question Period, he repeated the same phase "open to amendments" again. But when he missed the same promise at the HoC, now it's different story and it's not up to him but up to Conservatives committee chair and members to be open to amendments. I guess it's just karma.
I guess McCallum is just a pure career politician. he instead of the senators is the one who should be responsible for all the delays and consequential results of the delays.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
canadasucks said:
I also think the Libs priority as far as immigration issues are concerned was the refugees case. Everything else they just did not put enough thought and time in, including C-6.

canadasucks

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcher said:
I also think the Libs priority as far as immigration issues are concerned was the refugees case. Everything else they just did not put enough thought and time in, including C-6.
Because C-6 is not important, it also becomes a test bed for other more important law repealing Libs promised including repealing C-51. Now they messed it up, until C-6 is fixed, I don't think they have the ability to repeal any other more important laws. JT will just become another Obama, had too many dreams but little he can do.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
canadasucks said:
Because C-6 is not important, it also becomes a test bed for other more important law repealing Libs promised including repealing C-51. Now they messed it up, until C-6 is fixed, I don't think they have the ability to repeal any other more important laws. JT will just become another Obama, had too many dreams but little he can do.
sad but true ..