+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

Joeeyes

Star Member
Apr 7, 2017
One last thing is throwing me off here, and I hope someone can advise please.

My wife's Surname changed from "Jane Doe" to "Jane Rock" . She has an updated PR Card which has her new names "Jane Rock" but her confirmation of PR card still has her former name, "Jane Doe".

Now I am confused her she should complete the sections of the application form? What should she put on question 3.A knowing that her two immigration documents have two different surnames?

Question 3. A – Name as shown on Immigration Documents
Last Name
Given names

Question 3. B - Your current Name if different from above
Last Name
Given names

Thanks for your help

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hello Gentlemen,
i misplaced my copr and i got a verification of status, is this sufficient to prove PR along with my PR card.
thank you for response in advance.
COPR is one of the most important pieces of documents. Even more important than PR card. I would suggest you look harder to find it or try to get a replacement copy from CIC.

Last edited:

ASAINI

Star Member
Apr 27, 2010
One last thing is throwing me off here, and I hope someone can advise please.

My wife's Surname changed from "Jane Doe" to "Jane Rock" . She has an updated PR Card which has her new names "Jane Rock" but her confirmation of PR card still has her former name, "Jane Doe".

Now I am confused her she should complete the sections of the application form? What should she put on question 3.A knowing that her two immigration documents have two different surnames?

Last Name
Given names

Last Name
Given names

Thanks for your help
Her CoPR name (as CoPR is the Immigration document)

Her current name

GiantPanda

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Hey guys, I just have a question for my mom's application which will be due in July. Although no one can say anything definite about the consequences and extent of Bill C-6, can anyone kind of venture a guess if people who apply before the law is implemented would still be subjected to same rules if they have applied earlier?

I ask this because my mom is 55 years old which according to current law will require her to write the test, but not acc to C-6. Does anybody think that if the law is implemented by fall, my mom would be considered not to write the test even if she applied in July? I'm just not sure when I should apply for her..now or when C-6 is implemented..
My understanding is that your application is always processed based on the law in effect at the time of your application.

As an example, I applied for my PR in 2011 and it came up for review in 2013. There were changes made to the application process in 2013, which I was specifically advised by TSSA would not be applicable to my application.

Joeeyes

Star Member
Apr 7, 2017
Her CoPR name (as CoPR is the Immigration document)

Her current name
Right. But reading through the application instruction guide, it says;

"Question 3A

Write your last name (surname/family name) and given name(s) exactly as they appear on your immigration document. If your name was shortened (truncated) on the immigration document, it will appear in full length on your citizenship certificate, up to 50 characters for the family name(s) and 50 characters for the given name(s). Immigration documents include your:

• Record of landing (IMM 1000),
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688),
  • Permanent resident card (PR card)."

Now, she has old name on CoPR and new name on PR card. I am confused what she should use here on this question.

SAM2017

Jun 20, 2017
I have a question please help me!

I am worried about proof of language efficiency.

I have completed a ESL class 2 years ago and I got level 6 for all language skills is that's enough as proof.
and I have the certificate ,do I have to worry about expire date

or I have to do another class

I know its not related to subject but this is a very active thread and I need help

GiantPanda

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
I have a question please help me!

I am worried about proof of language efficiency.

I have completed a ESL class 2 years ago and I got level 6 for all language skills is that's enough as proof.
and I have the certificate ,do I have to worry about expire date

or I have to do another class

I know its not related to subject but this is a very active thread and I need help

Please refer to the following :

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp#CIT0002E4

Proof of achieving Canadian Language Benchmark/Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (CLB/NCLC) level 4 or higher in speaking and listening skills through certain government-funded language training programs includes:

For Ontario: Ontario Provincial Language Training Certificates dating from December 2013 or later, and issued by providers of the Adult Non-Credit Language Training Program funded by the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration and International Trade (MCIIT), formerly known as the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration. Ensure your Ontario MCIIT Adult Non-Credit language training program certificate indicates achievement of level CLB/NCLC 4 or higher, in speaking and listening. These certificates must be for:
  • English as a Second Language (ESL)/Anglais Langue Seconde (ALS);
  • French as a Second Language (FSL)/Français Langue Seconde (FLS);
  • Citizenship and Language Training (CL)/Instruction civique et enseignement de la langue (ICEL).

SAM2017

Jun 20, 2017
Please refer to the following :

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp#CIT0002E4

Proof of achieving Canadian Language Benchmark/Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (CLB/NCLC) level 4 or higher in speaking and listening skills through certain government-funded language training programs includes:

For Ontario: Ontario Provincial Language Training Certificates dating from December 2013 or later, and issued by providers of the Adult Non-Credit Language Training Program funded by the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration and International Trade (MCIIT), formerly known as the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration. Ensure your Ontario MCIIT Adult Non-Credit language training program certificate indicates achievement of level CLB/NCLC 4 or higher, in speaking and listening. These certificates must be for:

• English as a Second Language (ESL)/Anglais Langue Seconde (ALS);
    • French as a Second Language (FSL)/Français Langue Seconde (FLS);
    • Citizenship and Language Training (CL)/Instruction civique et enseignement de la langue (ICEL).
thanks for your response can you tell me if its doesn't matter if it expire or not because I did mine two years ago

richard1234

Sep 1, 2014
Hey, could someone clear about 3 of 5 years tax thing? I am here since 2012 and became PR in 2015. I filed taxes for 2012,13,14,15, and 16. If I count the tax file during my PR years, I only filed for 2015 and 2016. I have to wait for 2017. According to new rule (3/5 rule and pre-PR credit), I will be eligible next month. In this case, am I still eligible with tax thing or I have to wait until I file tax for 2017?

It looks like I have to wait to file tax for 2017 as it says matching..

Applicants must file Canadian income taxes, if required to do so under the Income Tax Act, for three out of five years, matching the new physical presence requirement.

OR If they count tax for 2013 and 2014 (I will be getting 1 year of credit from last two years before PR), I will be fine.

Last edited:

I2

Star Member
Sep 26, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think we should be more concerned about the GIC information ...

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1111379240993&ca=8f8f53b5-08e2-4bae-b3c6-773f01f87755
Current Act Proposed Amendment Date Provision will be In Force Applicable to Applications in Process / New Applications Only

Physical presence - 4 out of 6 years Physical presence - 3 out of 5 years
NOTE: the requirement to file taxes in 4 out of 6 years is also amended to 3 out of 5 to match the physical presence requirement Date to be set by GIC New Applications Only

Must have ½ year (183 days) of physical presence in 4 out of 6 years Provision will be removed Date to be set by GIC New Applications Only

Pre-PR time spent in Canada does not count Pre-PR time spent in Canada as i) a temporary resident; or ii) a protected person counts as ½ day of physical presence (maximum of 1 year of pre-PR credit) Date to be set by GIC New Applications Only

Applicants from ages 14-64 must meet language requirement and pass knowledge test Age is changed to 18-54
NOTE: one of the proposed Senate amendments raises the upper age limit back up to 60. The government has announced it will not support this Senate amendment.[1] Date to be set by GIC Applies to Applications in Process

Hey

regarding your above statement "a protected person counts as ½ day of physical presence (maximum of 1 year of pre-PR credit) Date to be set by GIC New Applications Only "

Pre-PR credit, for the days to be counted toward the citizenship, it should fall within the 5 years prior to your application submission date ?

Thanks in advance

prash16

Jun 19, 2017
Well can I am not sure what is wrong, I am unable to open the pdf. Getting some adobe error ?? Someone else facing the same ...

elie72

Sep 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 Aug 2007
Doc's Request.
17 Aug 2009
AOR Received.
13 Aug 2007
Med's Request
March 2011
Med's Done....
08 April 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21 September 2011
VISA ISSUED...
05 October 2011
LANDED..........
23 December 2011
Well can I am not sure what is wrong, I am unable to open the pdf. Getting some adobe error ?? Someone else facing the same ...
Same here but after that it opened and see the old forms