Bill C-6: Senate stage

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Senate has to vote to be able to go early on vacation. I don't think they'd leave knowing there are Bills on the final stretch to consider
Yes, in particular note that if the Senate cancels its last week (as they did in June 2016) it is actually consensus between all the groups. In particular, last year it was the Government Representative who moved to adjourn the Senate a week early. So the Senate will only adjourn early if the government thinks there is nothing of importance left. If C-6 will fall into that category I don't know. I just want to point out that the fear that the opposition would adjourn the Senate early out of some kind of delay tactics would be a breach of protocol. An even if they would manage to suggest early adjournment, they would also have to convince the majority of the Chamber to vote with them.

tl;dr
- Senate adjourning early because the government thinks there's nothing important on the agenda anymore: Possible. Hard to tell how they decide that.
- Senate adjourning early because the opposition wants to intentionally delay things: Very improbable. That would be a case for the history books.

Reactions: anasja2000

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
Most of the provisions of C-6 have that "Governor in Council" clause who determines the date that the new regulations come into force (same for 3/5, language requirements and so on".

About your question "Who is the Governor in Council and how does the process work":

Short answer:
The responsible Minister (in this case: Ahmed Hussein) decides on a date, based on feedback by their staff. It then gets published in the Canada Gazette. That's the date.

Long answer for those of you who are interested in the Canadian Constitutional Framework:
The Governor General, as representative of Her Majesty the Queen, sets the date, because all executive power is vested in the Crown. However he does so "in council" which means that according to constituional convention, the Monarch or her representative doesn't decide alone but acts only on the formal advice of the "Queen's Privy Council for Canada" which consists of the current government as well as many other dignitaries (former Prime Ministers, some former MPs, other honoured people, even Prince Charles sits in that one). However, again by constitutional convention, the Monarch (and, by extension, the Governor General) is only advised by those privy councillors that are currently in the Cabinet. The Cabinet consists of the current government of Canada, that is the Prime Minister and the other Ministers of the Crown. Within the Cabinet, again by convention, every Minister is responsible for the laws concerning his subject area. In this case Ahmed Hussein, the Minister for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship is the responsible Minister.

So if you walk that chain backwards:
  • IRCC employees will discuss with the Minister what a good date is
  • It is possible that Justin Trudeau and/or his staff also has a say in this and joins the conversation
  • The Minister will then advise the Governor-General of the intended date
  • Since the Minister is the person responsible for this matter in the Cabinet which is the deciding body of the Privy Council which is the advising body of the Monarch, this is a binding advice that the Governor-General must follow
  • The Governor General then proclaims the date in the Canada Gazette, starting with the following enactment clause "Whereas [insert references to law here] ... Therefore, His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Refugees, Immigration and Citizenship, decides that..."
And if you wonder "Why is this so convoluted, why can't it just say the Minister decides": Welcome to a Commonwealth Realm which has to carry centuries of constitutional baggage originating in some random fight Kind so and so had with Lord so and so over whatever.
Wow! This answers my question with perfection! Thank you very much! :)

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Reactions: ChippyBoy and lilen

Mike053

Feb 9, 2009
I know this is Senator Jaffer and she was sometimes off with her predictions earlier this year regarding the number of amendments in the Senate. But since early/mid-April, she was always right with her comments, so here's a tweet that I guess we wouldn't mind to be correct:

https://twitter.com/SenJaffer/status/873674592681947137

Sen. Mobina Jaffer‏ @SenJaffer
Next week #C6 will be discussed in the Senate and it will become law by the end of JUne #senCA
Honourable Sen Jaffer tweets have been overly optimistic as far as timing of bill is concerned. But a good signal that someone is wishing to push it through Senate.

Full respect for Sen Jaffer though. Without her it might have been still at 3rd reading in Senate.

Cantonese

Feb 3, 2017
June 12
6:30 p.m.
Government Orders
Each sitting day, a substantial portion of the House’s time is devoted to the consideration of Government Orders, which include any item of business proposed by a Minister for consideration on a certain day.

Government Bills (Commons)
Bills concerned with public policy introduced by a Minister in the House.

C-6 (Senate amendments)
An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Honourable Sen Jaffer tweets have been overly optimistic as far as timing of bill is concerned. But a good signal that someone is wishing to push it through Senate.

Full respect for Sen Jaffer though. Without her it might have been still at 3rd reading in Senate.
Yup agreed. I think that's exactly the best way to interpret this tweet: It is not a guarantee that the bill will pass by the end of the month, but it shows that some people in the Senate have the will to pass it (and presumably try to convince others to follow suit).

Adnan34

Star Member
Apr 8, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is the first time I feel optimistic about C-6; although I'm about to become a victim for such a long delayed bill.

Okay, there are 3 amendments from the Senate, the government accepts 2 of them and rejects 1:
1. Appeal right when revoking citizenship: [Good news]
Changes from HoC is more-like a refined wording of Senate's amendments. The Senate will almost certain to accept with minimum or even no debate. Within the HoC, due to the Federal Court's decision, there should be little disagreements with the contents. The only point that the opposition may attack is to put this amendments into a separate bill and go through full legislation process; however, as Libs have the majority, should such motion occurs, it will not pass the vote.
2. Minor's application: [Good news]
Again, changes from HoC is purely a refined wording of Senate's amendments. In addition, this amendments were from a Cons senator. It will certainly pass both HoC and Senate without debate.
3. Language requirements for seniors: [Bad news]
HoC effectively rejected Senate's amendments. The opposition in HoC will definitely spend quite a time debating on this although their motion will most-likely be defected. In the Senate, there will be certainly lots of debates again even though they are not likely to insist the amendments. In short, lots of time will be wasted on debating what is the "proper" minimum age to require language proficiency. As the HoC did not notice triggering of time allocation, the debate may even be quite long inside HoC, not to mention at the Senate stage.
* You No.3 item: Liberals are supporting maximum age bracket of 54 to facilitate seniors then how could be bad

lilen

Star Member
Nov 22, 2016
Spyfy do you work for the Canadian government?

Did the government asked you to calm down the potential new citizens with your contributions to this forum?
the reason that am still checking this forum is spyfy, we are lucky to have a person like him in this forum, always giving motivation, so realistic and smart.. i donno who is spyfy and nth a about him but i can say that he is overqualified to work to the Canadien government, GOD bless u spyfy

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thank you for your kind words! Much appreciated!

Just to clarify for those who wonder: No, I am not working for any level of government and I'm not in any way involved in this process. I just happen to be a person who is interested in politics, parliamentary procedure, constitutional affairs and lawmaking. Just like how other people are interested in birds and their different species. It's not the most common of hobbies I guess, but it seems that this is a good place to put it to use.

I guess you can call my posts "realistically optimistic". But I feel that's exactly what this thread needs. At the same time I'm always trying to make sure to clarify that, like everyone else, I can never give a 100% prediction.

Again, thank you for your words! I'll try to keep it up with the information. I guess we can expect some news on Monday night!

Enjoy your Sunday!

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
Thank you for your kind words! Much appreciated!

Just to clarify for those who wonder: No, I am not working for any level of government and I'm not in any way involved in this process. I just happen to be a person who is interested in politics, parliamentary procedure, constitutional affairs and lawmaking. Just like how other people are interested in birds and their different species. It's not the most common of hobbies I guess, but it seems that this is a good place to put it to use.

I guess you can call my posts "realistically optimistic". But I feel that's exactly what this thread needs. At the same time I'm always trying to make sure to clarify that, like everyone else, I can never give a 100% prediction.

Again, thank you for your words! I'll try to keep it up with the information. I guess we can expect some news on Monday night!

Enjoy your Sunday!

I have heard "rumors" that PR card holders will be allowed to work abroad and the time spent outside will be added as he is living in Canada "as far as they fill the tax income and pay the taxes according to Canada laws". Is this true?