+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
There is political bargaining behind the scene when you want a bill to pass. It was never about "doing the responsible thing"...but rather they (Liberals) were weakened since the Michael Ignatieff's disaster. They had lost their morale and had no more fight as a 3rd party). C-24 was built on emotions (fear), while there is no passion for C-6 among liberals MPs. We could go on and on...but there is no point :) It's just a matter of time before all of us here no longer need to debate about citizenship, because we'll be all citizens.

Last edited:

asifmehmood

May 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2008
Doc's Request.
Aug 2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with docs
File Transfer...
April 2011
Med's Request
Nov 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
Passport Req..
31/01/13, received at LVO 04/02/13
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/13
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
C-7 moved to HoC agenda for May 12 after almost a year Senate amended the bill, is this a positive sign for Bill C-6 that they are moving fast now????

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
There is political bargaining behind the scene when you want a bill to pass. It was never about "doing the responsible thing"...but rather they (Liberals) were weakened since the Michael Ignatieff's disaster. They had lost their morale and had no more fight as a 3rd party). C-24 was built on emotions (fear), while there is no passion for C-6 among liberals MPs. We could go on and on...but there is no point :) It's just a matter of time before all of us here no longer need to debate about citizenship, because we'll be all citizens.
Regarding your last sentence, I sincerely hope we will not forget the emotional rollercoaster you go through before becoming a citizen. Let's just hope that none of us become one of those MPs or Senators one day who are immigrants themselves but in their speeches seem to insinuate that every immigrant is a potential fraudster and deserves to be hassled nonstop. This no-care attitude towards immigrants and their situation survives only as long former non-citizens don't care about these matters anymore.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
C-7 moved to HoC agenda for May 12 after almost a year Senate amended the bill, is this a positive sign for Bill C-6 that they are moving fast now????
No. It is neither a positive nor a negative sign. It is simply no sign.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I have watched the news about BC election, that they are still not certain who won and will rely on recount and absentee votes to determine - this could very well be the case when JT seeks re-election in a couple of years , so I am guessing the liberals will take that as a lesson and try to push it through and get the processing time under control as well, since they have to get as many new votes as they can, or they may risk losing after just one term

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
Yep.
I hope people now understand why I was so stunned when they proposed amendments a few months ago.
I told you guys this would delay C-6 quite a bit more. It now seems I was right, unfortunately.

By the way, I don't know if you guys have seen this article:
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/stripping-people-of-canadian-citizenship-without-hearing-unfair-judge-rules
I didn't argue with you! More amendments always mean possibility of delays. It's clear.
Anyway, HoC just posted a projected calendar for the next week. And guess what... C-6 is not there again.
Apparently, liberal HoC as not as interested in this Bill as more conservative senate.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think there is a need to balance our ideas of "speed" with reality. The Gov has a lot of bills in front of them, many of which are very important to Canadians.

While I'd like to see C6 move quicker - I'm understanding of the fact that there are other bills in front of it, like C-4. We need to be patient.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
I think there is a need to balance our ideas of "speed" with reality. The Gov has a lot of bills in front of them, many of which are very important to Canadians.

While I'd like to see C6 move quicker - I'm understanding of the fact that there are other bills in front of it, like C-4. We need to be patient.
One of the few reasonable comments on here. I do not understand why the majority think the government, in this case HoC, should rush C-6 ahead of everything else. Remember folks, your convenience is NOT a priority at any government level. In fact, the vast majority of those affected by 4/6 clause (which seems the major concern of people here); already or will soon qualify for citizenship. Patience is a virtue. HoC are under NO requirement to speed C-6 regardless of how many emails or calls you make to your local MPs. They will only look at C-6 when reasonable and convenient for them based on their priorities, just the way the Senators did. If anything, banging your drums about C-6 and 3/5 rule gives a very bad image and makes C-24 appear right in assuming most immigrants are immigrants of convenience!

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
One of the few reasonable comments on here. I do not understand why the majority think the government, in this case HoC, should rush C-6 ahead of everything else. Remember folks, your convenience is NOT a priority at any government level. In fact, the vast majority of those affected by 4/6 clause (which seems the major concern of people here); already or will soon qualify for citizenship. Patience is a virtue. HoC are under NO requirement to speed C-6 regardless of how many emails or calls you make to your local MPs. They will only look at C-6 when reasonable and convenient for them based on their priorities, just the way the Senators did. If anything, banging your drums about C-6 and 3/5 rule gives a very bad image and makes C-24 appear right in assuming most immigrants are immigrants of convenience!
In the end, it's all about votes... Cons don't want it because they know this is not likely to bring them many potential votes, liberals want it because they expect to get those votes. So I won't be surprised if this comes into effect around the time of 1-1.5 years before the next election

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Actually, it's not all about votes, that's why we are seeing delays. It's about due process and the reality of what needs to be done and how long it takes. Libs didn't introduce C6 just to get votes, irrespective of what the cons would have you believe. They introduced it because it's the right thing to do.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Actually, it's not all about votes, that's why we are seeing delays. It's about due process and the reality of what needs to be done and how long it takes. Libs didn't introduce C6 just to get votes, irrespective of what the cons would have you believe. They introduced it because it's the right thing to do.
right and wrong are all relative, and there's no absolute right/wrong in most matters. As much as I don't like C-24, I can see some good reasons to do it, just as much as I can see the good reasons for C-6

bethanasame

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
In C37 today -
Liberals rejected many amendments proposed by NDP and Conservatives in HoC when the bill was studied.
Senate brings similar amendments in committee and amends the bill after spending months.

Now Liberals have accepted the amendments. NDP and some conservatives are not happy with those amendments.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
In the end, it's all about votes... Cons don't want it because they know this is not likely to bring them many potential votes, liberals want it because they expect to get those votes. So I won't be surprised if this comes into effect around the time of 1-1.5 years before the next election
Do you seriously believe that every or the vast majority of new citizens will base their votes solely on their citizenship application process and C-6? If that is the case then one could conclude that we are a bunch shallow people. After you become a citizen, and elections arrive, you will be selecting the party that aligns with your beliefs and interests most. You will be looking at which one will increase your taxes ..etc. You will completely forget about C-6 since it won't relate to you as direct as it does now.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Do you seriously believe that every or the vast majority of new citizens will base their votes solely on their citizenship application process and C-6? If that is the case then one could conclude that we are a bunch shallow people. After you become a citizen, and elections arrive, you will be selecting the party that aligns with your beliefs and interests most. You will be looking at which one will increase your taxes ..etc. You will completely forget about C-6 since it won't relate to you as direct as it does now.
I do believe that, base on what I have read from this forum and what I heard from many people - Although I know I won't vote for them, at least based on how the liberals have been running Ontario to the ground, but that's just me. But yes I do believe the vast majority of new citizens, especially those who were affected negatively, will vote for liberals - it may change later after they have been citizen for a while, but for the new ones, it's very likely. Just go through this thread you should have seen many comments like 'I will never vote for cons'

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
right and wrong are all relative, and there's no absolute right/wrong in most matters. As much as I don't like C-24, I can see some good reasons to do it, just as much as I can see the good reasons for C-6
Remember the main reason why C-6 exists is because Liberals like the majority of non-Conservatives realize that C-24 actually violates Constitutional Rights and introduces a two-tier citizenship that puts the value of Canadian citizenship in jeopardy. I want to give you an example different from the ones you heard of, and focus on how Canadian citizenship will be perceived abroad. As you know many nations out there are not necessarily led by honest governments and would do anything to meet their interests. Now imagine Mr.X who is a dual citizenship of such nations and Canadian, is a journalist who highlights violations of that foreign government. Currently, that gov will have to think twice before trying to unfairly arrest him or falsely accuse him of anything. But if suddenly everyone is aware that Canada has two different treatments for its citizens, wouldn't that foreign gov capitalize on that fact and have less respect for that individual's Canadian citizenship?