Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
hangincanada said:
if without any amendment, bill c6 would pass for sure. sen McCoy's amendment really messed up the situation.
No doubt that Sen McCoy's comprehensive amendment opened the door for mess.

I agree with the amendment however but I guess it was should be introduced by the government OR Senate as a new bill as it compiles a bill by itself!!

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
The thing is that if every senator starts proposing amendments the government is going to reject these changes as they did not push a bill in the Senate to get a completely different one coming out of it. 1 amendment is already risky, if other amendments are voted, I thinkt that we'll all be eligible under C-24 before they are done playing ping pong with the Bill

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
hangincanada said:
if without any amendment, bill c6 would pass for sure. sen McCoy's amendment really messed up the situation.
It is actually the total incompetence of Liberal government and the liberal whips in the Senate that is causing the mess.

All they need to do is make sure there is someone properly briefed and prepared to 'move the senate to adopt the bill' at the next available opportunity. That is a call for a vote on the bill overall. That should settle the matter.

Instead, they seem to stand around like unsure teenagers not knowing what to do while the Conservatives have someone (who has been briefed in advance in all likelihood) to jump at at every opportunity and ask for adjournment, sub-amendment or whatever!!

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
spiritsoul said:
No doubt that Sen McCoy's comprehensive amendment opened the door for mess.

I agree with the amendment however but I guess it was should be introduced by the government OR Senate as a new bill as it compiles a bill by itself!!
that's exactly what i said: strategically, right. tactically, not smart!

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
monalisa said:
Giving power to someone doesnt deserve it ;D
Those 4 (Non-affiliated) seems against the bill, so might me one of them introducing the new amendment about language today:

Verner, Josée
Meredith, Don
Black, Douglas
Demers, Jacques

Especially: Verner, Josée

egghead

Star Member
Sep 29, 2016
captain74 said:
It is actually the total incompetence of Liberal government and the liberal whips in the Senate that is causing the mess.

All they need to do is make sure there is someone properly briefed and prepared to 'move the senate to adopt the bill' at the next available opportunity. That is a call for a vote on the bill overall. That should settle the matter.

Instead, they seem to stand around like unsure teenagers not knowing what to do while the Conservatives have someone (who has been briefed in advance in all likelihood) to jump at at every opportunity and ask for adjournment, sub-amendment or whatever!!
Unless they don't really want this bill, incompetence is the only other explanation. It has been poorly handled and poorly supported from the beginning.

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
Redfield said:
https://twitter.com/alizkarami/status/849659696084652033 Check Senator Jaffer's response to this tweet
hangincanada said:
I said since the beginning that amendments were a bad idea.
People were saying I was selfish but the fact is that it would have been faster for them to introduce a S- Bill instead and let C-6 go through as is.
Ppl probably laughing at me less now.

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
MarceauBletard said:
I said since the beginning that amendments were a bad idea.
People were saying I was selfish but the fact is that it would have been faster for them to introduce a S- Bill instead and let C6 go through as is.
Ppl probably laughing at me less now.
There is no basis to the assumption that those obstructing the bill's progress would have let it pass without the amendment.

The only thing lacking here is the basic competence from the Liberals!!

egghead

Star Member
Sep 29, 2016
captain74 said:
There is no basis to the assumption that those obstructing the bill's progress would have let it pass without the amendment.
That is true, but we would have known that much sooner. Several months were consumed by "OUR" amendment.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
Liberals don't care either.

How many of you here sent email to PM Trudeau and Minister Ahmed??

No many. So, they don't care.

vasyok

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Total speculation on my part, but I think that we might actually see some progress on the bill. The senate is known to have a lot of behind-doors agreements between involved parties, and I believe that's what happened in recent days. Here is some 'evidence':
1. Omidvar supported cons amendment to C-4. C-4 is another bill that repeals previous cons bill (and naturally cons in the senate do care much about it). The amendment they proposed removes many parts of C-4, limiting the extent of repeal.
2. They voted yesterday on the amendment without any delay. If the cons wanted (or needed) to delay - they would repeat the same things they did last Thursday.
3. New amendments that Sen. Jaffer twitted about will be introduced by the independents (not the cons)

tl;dr: I think the 'performance' by conservative we witnessed last Thursday had only one purpose - to show that they can cause 'troubles' and delays in the senate, which in turn forced everyone to negotiate and compromise... I think they (cons/libs/independents) agreed to change both bills in a way that would 'satisfy' all the senators.

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
captain74 said:

The only thing lacking here is the basic competence from the Liberals!!
cons, libs and independents.
adjournment, delays, amendments.
senate is a mess.
libs thought they could unite independents. now libs need to handle conflicts from both cons and independents and both their sizes are considerable.

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
vasyok said:
The senate is known to have a lot of behind-doors agreements between involved parties, and I believe that's what happened in recent days.

I think the 'performance' by conservative we witnessed last Thursday had only one purpose - to show that they can cause 'troubles' and delays in the senate, which in turn forced everyone to negotiate and compromise... I think they (cons/libs/independents) agreed to change both bills in a way that would 'satisfy' all the senators.
Agree. Compromise / back room deals is a critical part of getting things done in politics!

Hopefully, the Liberals have some experienced hands working behind the scene now.

Free-Spirit

Mar 2, 2017
Sen. Mobina Jaffer‏Verified account
@SenJaffer

Follow
More
#C6 Very sorry to let u know there will be many more amendments introduced . Today it is on language requirements #SenCA