+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

canadasucks

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't understand why people are still holding the unrealistic hope on this bill? It's obviously they are just holding the bill until the end of parliament session to let it die and have no intention to really go through it. If anyone can look at all other bills even far more important than this bill, Senate usually spend about 2 sittings at 2nd reading on each bill. As 2nd reading only focus on the principle of the bill and not the details of its provisions, it really should not use much time. But C-6 has had 5 sittings at 2nd reading and still not end. Also if anyone look at all previous parliament sessions, normally half of all bills died in the end, so it's very normal to let bills die.

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
just listened to the tape again. it sounds like the delay was because senator omidvar has been consulting many organizations or finding a way to propose the amendment to the bill as a independent senator, and finally realized she is not allowed. i believe that process was quite an education to her, but such a disappointment for the rest of us.

canadasucks

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hangincanada said:
just listened to the tape again. it sounds like the delay was because senator omidvar has been consulting many organizations or finding a way to propose the amendment to the bill as a independent senator, and finally realized she is not allowed. i believe that process was quite an education to her, but such a disappointment for the rest of us.
Seriously? All the parliament procedures are on the parliament website. It took me 5 minutes to read them and learn the procedures to amend a bill. She has been a Senator for almost a year and yet know nothing about her job? I guess all Senators only care about the expense claim procedures but not the legislation procedures.

How funny in the beginning of presenting C-6, she "said Senate procedural rules are different and she’s hopeful the upper house will be able to do what the Commons could not".

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hangincanada said:
So in that case they will just try to move the bill without amendments. It took too long. Now that the Non-Affiliated senators have the majority, the composition of the Committees is going to chance considerably and shortly. Once it's done the speed at which the bills are passed will increase. And I insist, it won't die. I may be the only one who believes that in this forum but it won't. JT didn't pass much major laws since in Office, this one is an easy win.

canadasucks

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
admontreal said:
So in that case they will just try to move the bill without amendments. It took too long. Now that the Non-Affiliated senators have the majority, the composition of the Committees is going to chance considerably and shortly. Once it's done the speed at which the bills are passed will increase. And I insist, it won't die. I may be the only one who believes that in this forum but it won't. JT didn't pass much major laws since in Office, this one is an easy win.
Actually he did pass a major law C-14 but it's under the pressure and deadline from supreme court. Normally a government would pass as many laws as possible just before the election year to impress the voters. Otherwise they would have no incentive to pass many laws in the early years. Just look at how many laws are still in the queue. C-6's progress is already much faster than many of them.

Also another fact is new senators won't change the Committee composition. Cons still chair and control the Committee.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
canadasucks said:
Actually he did pass a major law C-14 but it's under the pressure and deadline from supreme court. Normally a government would pass as many laws as possible just before the election year to impress the voters.
But C-6 would be almost useless for him if passed just before the election year
- the pissed off applicants who were finally qualified for citizenship probably won't vote for him
- many newly qualified applicants won't become citizen in time to vote due to the backlog after its passing

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadasucks said:
Also another fact is new senators won't change the Committee composition. Cons still chair and control the Committee.
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/independent-senators-restless-pace-change-1.3862063

Eventually they will. Liberals can't allow such a legislative rebellion conducted by non-elected shady committee chairs go on for too long. They will lose all their credibility.
The conservative-led finance committee tried to change the tax cuts that Morneau passed last year (because they chair the committee), do you really think Morneau would allow to be told what to do by Conservative senators that have no more majority on top of that ???

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
admontreal said:
i am afraid that senator omidvar would have no interest if she could not make the amendment to the bill, which would have been her major motivation and political achievement. even though she urges the bill should be processed quickly to law on her twitter today, that it is not of her interest any more. we are too simple to speculate those politicians intention. they may find a substitute who is eligible to bring up the proposal, or to advance the law as it is. at the same time, they will weigh the importance of this law with/without the new amendment to their cabinet member who is in trouble with her citizenship...

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hangincanada said:
i am afraid that senator omidvar would have no interest if she could not make the amendment to the bill, which would have been her major motivation and political achievement. even though she urges the bill should be processed quickly to law on her twitter today, that it is not of her interest any more. we are too simple to speculate those politicians intention. they may find a substitute who is eligible to bring up the proposal, or to advance the law as it is. at the same time, they will weigh the importance of this law with/without the new amendment to their cabinet member who is in trouble with her citizenship...
With or without amendments, this law won't benefit Minister Monsef whatsoever.
We need to look at a bigger picture than simply a Senator's political achievement. This law is one of the first tabled by the Liberals, and its faith wouldn't and shouldn't depend only on the motivation of a handful of Senators.

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
admontreal said:
With or without amendments, this law won't benefit Minister Monsef whatsoever.
We need to look at a bigger picture than simply a Senator's political achievement. This law is one of the first tabled by the Liberals, and its faith wouldn't and shouldn't depend only on the motivation of a handful of Senators.
i really hope you are right. and i am not sure if it was becasue minister monsef so liberals suddenly changed their position about the amendment in the summer time. but i hope you are right. let us see how it goes, and it won't take too long to find out.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hangincanada said:
i really hope you are right. and i am not sure if it was becasue minister monsef so liberals suddenly changed their position about the amendment in the summer time. but i hope you are right. let us see how it goes, and it won't take too long to find out.
Agreed. Let's hope for the best. I am sure the Liberals know they have a lot to lose if this bill dies.
Regarding Monsef I don't think it was fundamentally the reason, at the opposite of what people say, but it certainly played a role in bringing the attention on that particular issue, which was good, although not 100% fair.

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
admontreal said:
Agreed. Let's hope for the best. I am sure the Liberals know they have a lot to lose if this bill dies.
Regarding Monsef I don't think it was fundamentally the reason, at the opposite of what people say, but it certainly played a role in bringing the attention on that particular issue, which was good, although not 100% fair.
agreed. by the way, next Monday there will be a non-routine sitting to address the government issues. hopefully, this bill will be brought up.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/Sen/Chamber/421/OrderPaper/077op_2016-11-28-e.htm

mohd000

May 21, 2013
canada
Category........
Visa Office......
cpp ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2013
Doc's Request.
29-11-2013 RCMP;3-03-2014 MARRIAGE QUESTIONARE
AOR Received.
15-08-2013
File Transfer...
15-08-2013
Med's Request
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
28-05-2014
Interview........
exempted
Passport Req..
20-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
request to change vo for spouse
LANDED..........
11-08-2014
Sen. Ratna Omidvar‏ @ratnaomi
@zparwez debate adjourned by Senator Ngo. Means we must wait for him to speak.

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
mohd000 said:
Sen. Ratna Omidvar‏ @ratnaomi
@zparwez debate adjourned by Senator Ngo. Means we must wait for him to speak.
right. if there is no questions followed by the speech, debate can be adjourned if someone else wants to make another speech. and the debate needs to be re-opened by the one who adjourned. every senator has the right to say their opinions. so no limit on the number of sittings for debate.