Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
That was fast! Obviously they had been working on it behind the scenes for the past days, they couldn't have possibly come up with something so detailed this fast.
Of the eight amendments, only two are being accepted with no reservation. All others have suggested changes. while Amendment 7 is rejected completely. I don't know the ins and outs of all the amendments to say how easy or difficult the negotiation on each of them may be, but hopefully it will be dealt with quickly.

Anyone knows when the next sittings for the Senate are?
please, see links below:

https://sencanada.ca/en/annual-calendars/
https://sencanada.ca/en/calendar/

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
This is good news. Not much debate. I assume most of the time was spend with government legal experts rewriting the amendments.
The senate could take a few days to do their own study of this proposal and before bringing this into the house to be voted.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
That was fast! Obviously they had been working on it behind the scenes for the past days, they couldn't have possibly come up with something so detailed this fast.
Of the eight amendments, only two are being accepted with no reservation. All others have suggested changes. while Amendment 7 is rejected completely. I don't know the ins and outs of all the amendments to say how easy or difficult the negotiation on each of them may be, but hopefully it will be dealt with quickly.

Anyone knows when the next sittings for the Senate are?
Hi guys, C-6 motion will be discussed at 18:30 today in the House of Commons.

Are you interested in the senate sittings because you think that HoC C-6 discussion will be finished today?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
There is some serious misinformation here: The bill has NOT cleared the House of Commons. The link shared by jason5460 is to the order paper. This is the suggested motion that the HoC will now debate and then vote on. The debate will begin tonight at 6:30 pm in the House of Commons. But they will probably use 2-3 sittings in total to debate it.

Please don't get overexcited and make a claim that something happened before you double-checked that you read the source right.

I assume most of the time was spend with government legal experts rewriting the amendments.
This is exactly why the bill was not on the HoC agenda until now, because the government hasn't finished (re)writing the amendments yet.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Senate will be sitting daily for the next 3 weeks, except Mon 26th
https://sencanada.ca/en/calendar/
This is also not correct. The light shaded days in the calendar are possible sitting days. That doesn't mean that the Senate will sit that day. Basically every Friday of every sitting week in the future is marked as a possible sitting day, still the Senate as good as never sits on Friday. June 30th will be a rare exception.

ozymandias

Jun 8, 2017
So can anybody reasonably see Bill C-6 becoming the law of the land before end of June (HoC & Sen, R consent given and announced in HoC) ? @spyfy ?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
So can anybody reasonably see Bill C-6 becoming the law of the land before end of June (HoC & Sen, R consent given and announced in HoC) ? @spyfy ?
It is possible, yes. I use the word POSSIBLE here which does not imply any indication of probability!
- It is basically certain that the HoC will pass the bill before the summer break.
- The big question mark is if the Senate will manage to handle the bill before they get to their break. I can't give you any estimate on that since this is a facts only thread. To claim any likelihood would be speculation which the other thread is for.
- Note that royal assent does not need to be announced in the HoC. It only needs to be announced in the Senate. Even if the HoC is not sitting, the information that assent has been given can simply be deposited in writing with the HoC. Generally speaking: Royal assent is not a time issue here. If the Senate passes the bill before the end of June, Royal Assent will be given right after, quite possibly on the same day.

Weltmeister

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
It is possible, yes. I use the word POSSIBLE here which does not imply any indication of probability!
- It is basically certain that the HoC will pass the bill before the summer break.
- The big question mark is if the Senate will manage to handle the bill before they get to their break. I can't give you any estimate on that since this is a facts only thread. To claim any likelihood would be speculation which the other thread is for.
- Note that royal assent does not need to be announced in the HoC. It only needs to be announced in the Senate. Even if the HoC is not sitting, the information that assent has been given can simply be deposited in writing with the HoC. Generally speaking: Royal assent is not a time issue here. If the Senate passes the bill before the end of June, Royal Assent will be given right after, quite possibly on the same day.
Hello Spyfy, just to get my FACTS correct, even if the bill gets Royal Assent that does not mean that it is "in effect" i.e. we can start applying under the new rules?

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
OK, it is 18:31, C-6 discussion started in HoC.

He, he, after five minutes of reading amendments speaker finally said - I dispense, and word was given to the minister.

It is 18:40 and minister is summarizing facts well known to all members of this forum - what government agrees on, what not.

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hello Spyfy, just to get my FACTS correct, even if the bill gets Royal Assent that does not mean that it is "in effect" i.e. we can start applying under the new rules?
Correct even if the bill gets royal assent and therefore becomes law, the new rules wont kick in until a later date fixed by the government.

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
14-MAY(aor1) / 31-JUL(aor2)
File Transfer...
15-JULY, 2014, IP- OCT-30
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
received on : 10TH NOV, 2014
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015
any update from today.. had an exam so could not follow HoC proceedings.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Intermediate update, since I'm not sure I'll still be up at midnight to give the full update:
- The Minister introduced the amendments, elaborating on the same reasons as in the press release
- The Conservative Immigration critic then spoke for 2.5 hours (yes you read that right), rambling, ranting, filibustering, it was embarassing.
- Then many MPs gave speeches. A remarkable one is that one by Jenny Kwan from the NDP. If you'll only read one speech in the written debates, I encourage you to read hers. It makes clear how this bill could've passed a long time ago if the government did their homework.
- Generally Liberals and NDP are in favour, the Conservatives are opposed.
- The debate will continue for tonight. If they will debate on another day as well is unclear as of now, we will see tomorrow.
- In any case, the vote can be expected soon, within days.