+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6, Messages between the HoC and the Senate, FACTS ONLY

ozymandias

Jun 8, 2017
House Agenda
Thursday, June 8, 2017. Subject to change without notice.

C-45 (second reading - amendment)
Cannabis Act

C-342 (second reading)
An Act to amend the Excise Tax Act (carbon levy)

C-24 (second reading - amendment)
An Act to amend the Salaries Act and to make a consequential amendment to the Financial Administration Act

C-50 (second reading)
An Act to amend the Canada Elections Act (political financing)

Question!

Based on my understanding of parliamentary procedures, all of the above mentioned bills that are currently being discussed in the house are at the early stages and have little chance of becoming law; so if I am correct and that's the case, why would the government spend it's time on those at the cost of anything (e.g. Bill C-6) that may have a far better chance of being law before July?

I am increasingly getting a feeling that the government doesn't actually wants to pass Bill C-6 any time soon... regardless of the reason...

Any non-wishful reason to think otherwise ?

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Question!

Based on my understanding of parliamentary procedures, all of the above mentioned bills that are currently being discussed in the house are at the early stages and have little chance of becoming law; so if I am correct and that's the case, why would the government spend it's time on those at the cost of anything (e.g. Bill C-6) that may have a far better chance of being law before July?

I am increasingly getting a feeling that the government doesn't actually wants to pass Bill C-6 any time soon... regardless of the reason...

Any non-wishful reason to think otherwise ?
Here you go: at the moment, Bills are piling up at second reading and there are barely any bills in committee. Think of the legislative process as an assembly line and currently the halfway section has nothing to do. That's why they want to bring bills through second reading so that the committees have something to do.

Reactions: Kamran2015

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
Here you go: at the moment, Bills are piling up at second reading and there are barely any bills in committee. Think of the legislative process as an assembly line and currently the halfway section has nothing to do. That's why they want to bring bills through second reading so that the committees have something to do.
Sounds plausible.

However, if the HoC response to the senate amendments had been worked out, it would probably take very little time to discuss the same in the house and send it to the senate and enhance the chances of passing it into law before the summer recess (something I do believe Liberals would reasonably want to happen). Such discussion could easily by fit into the agenda without any major disruption to the "assembly-line".

The fact that it is not being tabled at the house indicates that the response is not yet ready (very believable based on the exhibition of the Liberal "haven't-got-a-clue-what-to-do" way of running things thus far). If that is the case, I wish all forum members a healthy, happy, summer and the best of everything that matters in life besides the passing into law of C6.

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
14-MAY(aor1) / 31-JUL(aor2)
File Transfer...
15-JULY, 2014, IP- OCT-30
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
received on : 10TH NOV, 2014
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015
C-6 is on the projected order of Business for Monday!
just checked.. great news indeed.. fingers crossed. if anybody follows the video can u upload the summary later on,, I will be out and wont be able to follow.. thanks in advance

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

DON2

Jan 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So this is latest

OTTAWA (NEWS 1130) – The Liberal government is prepared to adopt some of the Senate’s proposed amendments to its citizenship bill, Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen said Friday.

Bill C-6 is designed to repeal many of the previous Conservative government’s changes to how people become citizens — and how they can lose that status.

Among other things, the legislation would repeal a provision that strips dual citizens of their Canadian status if convicted of terrorism, treason or espionage. It has been applied to one person: Zakaria Amara, convicted for his role in a 2006 terror plot in Toronto.

Far more people lose their citizenship because it was obtained fraudulently, and the Senate wants to amend the bill in order to give those people a chance at a court hearing before their status is stripped away.

Hussen said the government will accept that proposal, albeit with some modifications of its own, including giving the minister the authority to make decisions when an individual requests it.

Hussen’s hand was partially forced by a recent Federal Court decision that said people have a right to challenge the revocation of their citizenship, although predecessor John McCallum had earlier suggested he would support the amendment.

“This amendment recognizes the government’s commitment to enhancing the citizenship revocation process to strengthen procedural fairness, while ensuring that the integrity of our citizenship program is maintained,” Hussen said in a statement.

The government will also accept a Senate recommendation that would make it easier for children to obtain citizenship without a Canadian parent.

But they are rejecting efforts to raise the upper age for citizenship language and knowledge requirements from 54 to 59, saying it’s out of step with the goal of making citizenship easier to obtain. The current law requires those between the ages of 14 to 64 to pass those tests; the Liberals want it changed to 18 to 54.

Hussen thanked the Senate for its work making the bill “even stronger and for providing an example of productive collaboration on strengthening important legislation.”

The Senate has the choice of accepting the government’s decision, rejecting it, or proposing further amendments of its own, which could further delay the legislation.

The bill was originally introduced by former immigration minister John McCallum in 2016 as a follow-through to a Liberal campaign promise to repeal elements of the Conservative law, which in their view created two tiers of citizenship.

The government is also seeking to shorten the length of time someone must be physically present in Canada to qualify for citizenship, and to allow time spent in Canada prior to becoming a permanent resident to count towards that requirement.

http://www.news1130.com/2017/06/09/liberals-citizenship-bill-to-proceed-with-some-senate-amendments/

Kamran2015

Star Member
Feb 9, 2015
These are all great news for those of us who have been waiting for a long time. I appreciate again spyfy's great effort to stick to the facts and also to stay positive. I have one question for spyfy: assume that this bill becomes law by Canada day which is just an assumption. Is there a precedent to know if the Government is obliged to annouce the implementation day of specific sections like the physical presence? I mean can they just skip saying when they like to implement those sections or they have to announce it when this bill becomes law?

agshaheryar

May 24, 2012
Faisalabad
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-07-2009
Doc's Request.
03-09-2009
AOR Received.
24-12-2009
IELTS Request
Sent with Full Docs
File Transfer...
30-06-2010
Med's Request
16-03-2012
Med's Done....
26-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 01-11-2012 & PPR2 16-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2012
LANDED..........
April 02, 2013
Bill c-6 on projected order on Monday June 12,2017. Let's see if the House adopts all amendments or some.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
These are all great news for those of us who have been waiting for a long time. I appreciate again spyfy's great effort to stick to the facts and also to stay positive. I have one question for spyfy: assume that this bill becomes law by Canada day which is just an assumption. Is there a precedent to know if the Government is obliged to annouce the implementation day of specific sections like the physical presence? I mean can they just skip saying when they like to implement those sections or they have to announce it when this bill becomes law?
Technically they could not announce when they want the rules to come into force for a long time. There's no rule that the dates have to be announced at the same time as passage of the bill.

Keep in mind though that once this bill passes, the government will in fact want to "spread the message".

It is reasonable to expect this: once the bill receives royal assent, there will be a press release by IRCC "welcoming" the passage of the bill and highlighting the core aspects. In this press release they will also include an approximate time of when the rules come into force (something like "in X months"). Then, closer to that point in time, they will actually announce a date through the Governor in council.

This is, by the way, how it happened with C-24.

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
It has been reviewed, and recommendations were made to the Senate. Hope the Senate reacts fast.

http://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42-1/house/sitting-192/order-notice/page-13
That was fast! Obviously they had been working on it behind the scenes for the past days, they couldn't have possibly come up with something so detailed this fast.
Of the eight amendments, only two are being accepted with no reservation. All others have suggested changes. while Amendment 7 is rejected completely. I don't know the ins and outs of all the amendments to say how easy or difficult the negotiation on each of them may be, but hopefully it will be dealt with quickly.

Anyone knows when the next sittings for the Senate are?